Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight visor

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 08:22 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Received 689 Likes on 412 Posts
Default Headlight visor

I don't know if it's just me or what. I have another beef with Harley and want to check with everyone to see if you have had the same experience.

I bought the headlight and runnung lights visors. I have had them on all my Glides(I really like the look). Well I tried installing the headlight visor (2012 TG) the other night. It is a piece of cake to do, I've done it many times. This time when I got done, the visor was real loose and moved all around. I took it to the dealer to see why it wouldn't install correctly. When I went back they handed me a bill for $24. I asked what that was for. They said it was for an o-ring and a couple springs they had to order. They told me that Harley updated the visor mounting with parts from 1960) WHAT THE %$#@!! I have to buy parts from 1960 in order to fit something onto a 2012 Harley motorcycle???
I said there is nothing about that in the catalog OR the visor instructions.

What I want to know is, is that correct? Has anyone else installed the visor and had to buy these extra parts to make it fit correctly? If that's correct I'll still be upset, but at least I will know it's not just me that has to pay for this unexpected cost.

Old 02-22-2012, 08:51 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

There are a number of visors types. Do you have a part number or picture??

Old 02-22-2012, 09:50 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

The part number is 67751-91T standard visor with the gold winged logo - been around for at least 10 years.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:11 AM
Nute
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Assuming this is the part #67796-91T you are referring to. According to the HD website the following Trim Rings don't work which are original Trim Rings for passing lights.

"Fits all Passing Lamps. ('87-later models require Passing Lamp Trim Rings P/N 68775-93TA). (Does not fit with Passing Lamp Trim Rings P/N 69622-99B or 69732-05.)"

Having said all this when I purchased mine for a 09 FLHTCU I also had to buy different Trim Rings. Part # 68775-93TA They worked perfectly. They are bit different from the original. As for springs, O'rings etc. Don't know where they come from. However, saying that the replacement Trim Rings cost me $30.00.

Information from the HD website about replacement trim rings as follows;

68775-93TA

(pair)

"Replaces Original Equipment P/N 68725-62. Required for proper installation of H-D® Passing Lamp Visors on '87-later models (except FXSTD.)"

My opinion for what it's worth is to use the new Trim Rings. No springs, O-rings. Cleaner install and makes installing LED lites work for ya. Just my opinion.

Answer to your original question. No the original Trim Rings do not work with the visors.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:40 AM
cubalz
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Nute
Assuming this is the part #67796-91T you are referring to. According to the HD website the following Trim Rings don't work which are original Trim Rings for passing lights.

"Fits all Passing Lamps. ('87-later models require Passing Lamp Trim Rings P/N 68775-93TA). (Does not fit with Passing Lamp Trim Rings P/N 69622-99B or 69732-05.)"

Having said all this when I purchased mine for a 09 FLHTCU I also had to buy different Trim Rings. Part # 68775-93TA They worked perfectly. They are bit different from the original. As for springs, O'rings etc. Don't know where they come from. However, saying that the replacement Trim Rings cost me $30.00.

Information from the HD website about replacement trim rings as follows;

68775-93TA

(pair)

"Replaces Original Equipment P/N 68725-62. Required for proper installation of H-D® Passing Lamp Visors on '87-later models (except FXSTD.)"

My opinion for what it's worth is to use the new Trim Rings. No springs, O-rings. Cleaner install and makes installing LED lites work for ya. Just my opinion.

Answer to your original question. No the original Trim Rings do not work with the visors.
Yup. What he said, I just went through this putting plain chrome visors on my RKC.

Old 02-22-2012, 10:53 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,970 Likes on 19,387 Posts

Hey Gary .... I have a 09 FLHTCU and I installed the same visors that you referenced in your post. Regarding the headlight visor, I did NOT have to purchase any additional parts to install the visor ... nor were there any additional parts that I purchased to keep the visor tight once installed ... however it took a bit of "massaging" to get everything into the proper position and tight. I believe this answers the original question that you asked. As for the passing lamp visors, as others have stated, you do have to purchase optional trim rings to install the visors. Hope this helps ... and I too like the look ... had them on several of my scooters over the years!

Old 02-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Nute
Road Master

If you install using only the original Trim Rings & ride in the rain I'd be willing to bet the housings fill up with water.

Old 02-22-2012, 11:40 AM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

The part number is 67751-91T standard visor with the gold winged logo.
This is the correct visor for my 5-3/4" headlight. No trim rings needed.
#67796-91T is not the part number I'm refering to.

I also bought the passing lamp visors AND trim rings. Haven't installed them yet.
If they fill up with water, I've never noticed it before on previous bikes. Don't see why they would be much different then stock passing lamp trim rings.

Old 02-22-2012, 12:17 PM
Nute
Road Master

Originally Posted by GARY DYER
The part number is 67751-91T standard visor with the gold winged logo.
This is the correct visor for my 5-3/4" headlight. No trim rings needed.
#67796-91T is not the part number I'm refering to.

I also bought the passing lamp visors AND trim rings. Haven't installed them yet.
If they fill up with water, I've never noticed it before on previous bikes. Don't see why they would be much different then stock passing lamp trim rings.
I stand corrected. You were referring to the Headlight Visor. As far as I know all the touring bikes have 7" headlights. Maybe you bought the wrong visor.

Old 02-22-2012, 01:38 PM
GARY DYER
Elite HDF Member

Well, it does fit perfectly on my headlight, just like all the previous ones I've installed in the past. As far as I know the size of the batwing fairing headlight hasn't changed size in many years. Even the parts guy, who I originally asked, said that was the correct visor.

Quick Reply: Headlight visor