Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo 450 or 550: Harley-Davidson Zumo 665 Dealer Database

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2012, 06:06 PM
TNB
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 12limited
I do not think it will be a problem. I have a Zumo 660, not the Harley Road Tech 660, as I purchased and used it on my bike prior to owning a HD.
I loaded the Road Tech software on my regular Zumo 660 and now I have the color Harley Davidson bar and sheild icon on the "where to" screen...to list all the HD dealers as POI.

No problems at all.
Garmin seems to be pretty good about software and map updates since I purchased this unit when they first came out. There was some bugs, like freezing up at first but the software updates took care of them. Also I have seen some added features appear after the updates that are kind nice. Like speed turning red when you are over the speed limit...that was not there when I first purchased this unit.
If you own any Garmin unit, I would highly recommend purchasing the Lifetime maps and connect the unit to the Garmin website at least every quarter, you get map updates and regular software updates of added features regularly and any bugs fixes that may have been discovered.
Now sometimes it may take over night to get the maps and software down loaded and installed but, it is worth it.
I am very pleased with my unit.
Good luck on you unit..follow directions...you will be fine.
Do you know if the updates curred the 665? I read numerous bad reviews asserting there was no XM support. How much were the "maps"?

Old 02-22-2012, 07:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by VTGlideRider
Its an executable because its a self-extracting ZIP file. Once you unzip its a custom POI file. I have it loaded up in my 550 and it works fine. Not sure if its the same file as I've had this for a couple of months but it works great. I even downloaded an HD boot-up splash screen so if it wasn't for the silver color on the outside you would think it was a Road Tech version....for about $100 less at the time
Same here, except mine's a 450 like the OP's and I loaded another POI file for HD dealers downloaded free from the POI Factory. I have it warning me when I ride within five miles of any dealer and was able to delete my local dealer using POI Editor. I don't need to know where it is or be warned when I'm close to it, especially since I live two miles away.

The HD POI should work with the 450, as I haven't run across anything that works with just one or the other.

Last edited by iclick; 02-22-2012 at 07:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2012, 07:19 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by iclick
Same here, except I loaded another POI file for HD dealers downloaded free from the POI Factory. I have it warning me when I ride within five miles of any dealer and was able to delete my local dealer using POI Editor. I don't need to know where it is or be warned when I'm close to it, especially since I live two miles from it.
I'll have to check that link out. I used one from zumoforums but don't get the notice when near a dealer.

Old 02-23-2012, 12:06 PM
Olde Skool
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Finally got through to Garmin Tech Support. The guy told me the download will only work on Road Tech Zumo's as the firmware on them is different from the generic standard Zumo's.

So....Being that I heard him - just did not listen, I tried the downloaded file. It did not work for me.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:58 PM
QUADRK
Stage I
Post Software and POI

From experiance do not update the firmware of the RT with normal Zumo 660 it will corrupt and make unusable the RT... from experiance and Garmin can not get it working again over the internet with them remote operating my computer and downloading files to the RT had to send it back under warranty and they replaced the unit.

The POI files from the RT will work in any Garmin GPS I beleive, I just copied the two files from the POI directory on my RT 660 and made a directory in a garmin 1490 called POI and copied those files into it. They show up under Where To, I also made up a .gpi file from walmart and Best-western I found on the internet into one file and copied it into the POI folders and they work under Where To/Extras/Custom POI's

Hope this helps anyone who requires these answers
Ron

Old 04-03-2012, 08:28 PM
NECaveman
Tourer

Change the subject, if your Zumo 450 map becomes to large for the main storage there are procedures to move the map to the SD disc. Search Zumoforums.com. I ran into that problem with my RT, the map update would not load due to not enough internal memory space. Moved the map to the SD disc with the MP3's and the RT works great.

Old 04-04-2012, 07:31 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Olde Skool
I have a Zumo 450...

Any of you folks tried to install this Garmin "Road Tech zumo 550 Dealer Database software version 5.00 " download to a standard Garmin Zumo 450 or a 550? http://www8.garmin.com/support/downl...=4327#Instruct

The Road Tech Zumo 550 is the Harley Davidson branded Zumo 550 and is black in color with a Harley Dealer icon in the "Where to?" screen.......
Downloaded the exe file and is installed but it didn't work for me on my zumo 550. I was hoping it would.

Old 04-04-2012, 08:12 AM
tibadoe
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 33 Posts

I did get a find a hd poi file and loaded it using the garmin poi loader and now it shows all hd dealers in us & canada on the map while driving. It also has a folder that shows the custom poi's under "extras" which list the closest 52 dealers from you. I like it.

Last edited by tibadoe; 04-04-2012 at 08:52 AM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:41 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Wassup8687
I'll have to check that link out. I used one from zumoforums but don't get the notice when near a dealer.
I'm tardy replying, but you'll have to use Garmin's POI Loader to enable these notices. You can pick the distance it will warn you when you approach a location in any POI file. Warning: This will get annoying when you're within range, as it will pop-up an audible and visible warning every minute--so don't set the range too great. I have mine set for five miles, and you could use this for the Roadtech POI file in the same way.

Extra POI Editor will allow you to edit locations within a POI file. For example, I nixed my local dealer, for which I need no warning or other notice that I'm approaching.

I've decided to keep the POI file I now have for HD dealerships, as it has worked well so far. If I try the HD Roadtech POI I might not be as happy with the results, and I don't need the extra HD logos. I already have an HD splash screen and that's enough.

Last edited by iclick; 04-04-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:51 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by NECaveman
Change the subject, if your Zumo 450 map becomes to large for the main storage there are procedures to move the map to the SD disc. Search Zumoforums.com. I ran into that problem with my RT, the map update would not load due to not enough internal memory space. Moved the map to the SD disc with the MP3's and the RT works great.
I have the 2010 maps in my 450 and didn't have any problems loading in main memory. Which map upgrade do you have and what size is your SD card? I'm using 2gb cards now, mostly to store MP3's, so I wonder what the maximum size is. There's no mention of this in the 450/550 manual.

Quick Reply: Zumo 450 or 550: Harley-Davidson Zumo 665 Dealer Database