Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Raptor1956
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Illinois during the summer night riding is the best. When it is 105 in the day time 80 feels great. When I head to Colorado I usually head out about 3 hour before dark and try to cross Mo. and Kansas in the dark when it is cool. I-70 will burn you up during the summer. I run for about 3 hrs. after the sun comes up then find a motel. I get great rates just talk to them and explain that the empty room can be cleaned and rented for late check in people. I usually get rooms for 1/2 price or less. I have been riding sense 1973 always with my head on a swivel. I pay attention to my surroundings and expect the worst case in every situation it has kept me alive and rash free. Night riding is like everything else use common sense. Don't out ride your experience or headlight and you will be fine. The only thing to fear is fear itself. If you can't see tire chunks,tar-snakes or deer you are going too fast or you need better lights. Stay safe not afraid.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:38 PM
Dale M Ludwig
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Live in a rural area with almost a forest around us and established deer routes. Several times have seen what a deer can do to a bike and its rider. No riding at night around here.

Old 02-23-2012, 05:52 PM
AlanStansbery
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Sometimes. In the summer. It only cools down about 9 or 10 PM, and I go then, with the temp in the 90's, up the hill to get some cool air.

Alan

Old 02-23-2012, 06:12 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I ride at ALL hours, doesn't bother me at all to ride at night. There are deer in the daytime too, how many deer have you hit in your car, day or night? Don't ride at night, don't ride in the rain, clean the bike for three hours after a thirty minute ride, what the hell?

Old 02-23-2012, 06:42 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I like it , they have a ride here in MI in Aug put on by the GWRRA called paul raveers midnight ride , starts in Grandrapids on the west side at midnight and winds through the state on expressways and ends at the Mackinaw bridge in the morning , it is a great ride , never did the whole ride though just meet along the way , thousands of bikes of all kinds , have done that several times , did it last year with a buddy of mine , rode about 4 hrs and met the group in Alma [ bout midway in the state ] was a great night just kicked back with the tunes on, found out rain was heading for us and allready raining at the bridge so me and my budy looked at each other and decided we were in it for the ride not the distination so we said to heck with this so we rode back home 4hr but was a great ride

Old 02-23-2012, 07:31 PM
wurk_truk
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I hate the damn deer for sure. In summer, I just LOVE to ride at night. AT night... it is about the riding experience and not the scenery. The deer have me filled with enough fear that, at night, I stay on the expressway or major routes, and that has actually worked out well enough for me. I LOVE night riding!!! No two ways past that.