Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Night Riding

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 08:21 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

I took several night trips (hundreds of miles) back in the 60's, then down to a few morning or evening hours, and now the only night riding I do is going home from the Legion or visiting my daughter (if that counts, less than a mile). Have to be very careful of the deer in Minnesota, they're all over the place, so I don't like to do any high speed stuff at night any more. Kind of a shame, just seems more peaceful at night.

Those little spots on the forks really light up the road good, but I suspect other drivers don't like them; I often turn them off for oncoming traffic. The right one is drooping in the picture, loosened up on the two hour ride to this lake. Solid mount engine...

Old 02-21-2012, 08:22 PM
db2753
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Another thing to watch out for is busted up truck tires. Heading south to Alabama a few years ago going through Atlanta beltway I never saw so many shredded tires on the road and this was during the day and very hot. Sun went down and started to cool some and wanted to put more miles in and got south of Montgomery middle of nowhere and just missed a huge tire in the road. Got off at the next exit. Wonder if those LED's would have given me more warning.

Just being safe is all that matters.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

I like to start early in the dark but don't plan to ride after getting dark unless just want to come a day earlier from a week or longer trip.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:26 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,572 Likes on 2,890 Posts

Hell yea. Full moon in the desert and kill the light and ride. Really surreal.

Old 02-21-2012, 08:28 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Usually several times a summer, my friends and I do a booze cruise, hit 4 or 5 bars, 1 beer per hour between towns and hit the county roads in Iowa, I love the rush of riding at night!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:36 PM
wcsj55@yahoo.com
Extreme HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love to ride at night In the Summer Months,better for me and the Bike and less traffic,don't worry about the Animals,and I don't do back roads at night only in daylight hours,on longer trips I'll ride from 6 or 7pm till daylight !!!

Old 02-21-2012, 08:39 PM
Mikey05
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I love it. On our way home from Oregon last year, after being awoken by the truck stop sprinklers at 3 am, we decided "screw it, lets just go". Headed south on I-15 in middle-of-nowhere, Idaho we caught the tail end of the most amazing meteor shower i have ever seen. Nothing like cruising next to your 2 brothers, in pitch black, having stars scream across the night sky lighting your way.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:36 PM
mcain49
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 33 Posts

Awesome to ride on a cool summer night with a full moon. Used to do it a lot and still do occasionally. Not as fun as it used to be since the deer and wild hog populations have multiplied so much. When I choose to ride at night, I make sure my head and spot lights are working right and take care not to outrun my headlights. I've got some of those deer whistle things that probably don't work too. Previous poster mentioned tire carcasses to watch out for. Also, deer and hogs that were killed by trucks or cars are often lying dead on the road. Hitting a dead deer or hog lying on the highway can't be a good thing either.

Old 02-21-2012, 09:54 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like taking off on IBA rides at midnight. Ride thru 'til sunrise and stop for breakfast (fuel stops during the night).

Sometimes I leave home in the dark and often return after sunset too.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:06 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,548 Likes on 6,277 Posts

I live in deer country and avoid night riding. When I do ride at night I am on high alert. The first time I rode on a wide city boulevard, that was well lit, it was strange how relaxing it was to ride at night. So I would ride more at night if I was in an urban area, but I think it is foolish to ride in deer country at night.

Quick Reply: Night Riding