Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Geared Cam versus Chain Drive

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 10:07 PM
composed
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Geared Cam versus Chain Drive

I would like to add a geared cam to my nearly stock '06 Electra Glide Classic but need a better understanding of things to look for, along with any problems I might cause before I make a move. I've considered a 510G because its a "bolt-in" but the 585G has sounded interesting until I realized that compression should be increased among other things. I believe the 510G would be relatively mild, probably a lot like the original cam, while the 585G would be significantly more radical. Am I on the right road with my thoughts?
I am concerned that the previous owner has already replaced the billet plate, pushrods (with adjustable) hydraulic cam tensioner, and the oil pump with a high volume oil pump, and I would not like to repeat this (assuming that it this was caused by the old cam tensioner falling apart). I would like to increase the life and dependability of the bike while minimizing any potential problems.
Any thoughts, suggestions or insight into geared cams would be appreciated.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:35 PM
vheflin
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd say you are right on with your thoughts as far as the cams go. I'm not 100% sure but I think the only change you would have to make would be removing the hydraulic cam tensioner to go gear drive. The more experienced folks will chime in shortly.

I had a set of S&S 570G's installed in my 04 fatty and put on 55,000 trouble free miles since then. If your just looking to increase reliability I'd just do a cam swap. That is how I started. That adventure was short lived as quickly decided to make some other engine mods. After all was said and done I upgraded the jugs from 88" to 95", added high compression pistons, adjustable push rods, high performance heads with compression releases, race tuner and dyno tune. What a difference it made and the bike is tons of fun to ride. I was faced with the same decision as you but the cost to replace the cams was the same for the 510's as the 570's so I decided to go bigger. Somewhat costly but I'd do it again in a heartbeat.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:15 PM
El Rey
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why bother swapping at this point? You have the upgraded tensioners. Unless it's cams you want; mine with 510G:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrLHC...8&feature=plcp

Old 02-21-2012, 01:50 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, if I'm reading your post right, and you're saying the previous owner already upgraded to the hydraulic tensioner setup, I would leave that system in place. I believe it should be very reliable, vs gear drive with the potential problem of excessive crank runout. If you want to swap cams, there are many choices available without going gear drive. I would pick the grind you like, and run the hydraulic tensioners. My two cents.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:02 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by skully1200
Yeah, if I'm reading your post right, and you're saying the previous owner already upgraded to the hydraulic tensioner setup, I would leave that system in place. I believe it should be very reliable, vs gear drive with the potential problem of excessive crank runout. If you want to swap cams, there are many choices available without going gear drive. I would pick the grind you like, and run the hydraulic tensioners. My two cents.

What is excessive crank runout that you talk about? I hear it alot but I dont understand what it means. Please explain.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 AM
skully1200
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For gear drive cams the max allowable crank runout is .003. Anything more than that, which from what I understand is not uncommon on bikes newer than 2002, is not recommended for gear drive cams. As to what problems specifically it causes aside from gear whine noise, I don't personally know that much about. I am just going off what I have learned through researching my cam swap.

Old 02-21-2012, 02:44 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
What is excessive crank runout that you talk about? I hear it alot but I dont understand what it means. Please explain.
The crankshaft is made up three main components, the two flywheels plus the crankpin assembly. Each flywheel has an integral shaft, one drives the primary, the other the cams. When the flywheels are assembled to the crankpin, it is almost impossible to get the two shafts in perfect alignment with each other.

The difference in alignment between the two shafts means that each shaft end describes a circle while it rotates, it doesn't spin on a perfect centre. That circle can be measured (it is usually a few thousandths of an inch) and is called runout.

Hope that helps!

Old 02-21-2012, 03:12 AM
RICHIEMACK
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sounds like the only thing you will gain with the gear cams is elimination of the cam tensionor ,you have the upgrade now ,why don;t you just go with a chain cam,there are many in the same range.much cheaper and just as dependable

Old 02-21-2012, 03:25 AM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 553 Likes on 381 Posts

Originally Posted by grbrown
The crankshaft is made up three main components, the two flywheels plus the crankpin assembly. Each flywheel has an integral shaft, one drives the primary, the other the cams. When the flywheels are assembled to the crankpin, it is almost impossible to get the two shafts in perfect alignment with each other.

The difference in alignment between the two shafts means that each shaft end describes a circle while it rotates, it doesn't spin on a perfect centre. That circle can be measured (it is usually a few thousandths of an inch) and is called runout.

Hope that helps!
HA HA!!!
Found the video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_ABd...yer_detailpage

Here is another link were you download the pdf file and shows a better veiw of how they check the runout

http://www.box.com/shared/u3l51lli0o

Last edited by vizcarmb; 02-21-2012 at 03:29 AM.
Old 02-21-2012, 05:42 AM
mrfikser
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 29 Likes on 24 Posts

and because of the runout the 2 gears (one on crank and one on cam), move closer and farther apart depending on crank position, so there is the potential for them to bind at their closest position (and to whine)

Quick Reply: Geared Cam versus Chain Drive