Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dunlop Elite 3 Bias Ply or Radial ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

OOOPs...forgot about the size.sorry...brain fart...

Old 03-05-2012, 12:14 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Notgrownup
OOOPs...forgot about the size.sorry...brain fart...
The saga continues. My latest email to Dunlop and their response:

Hi Rob,

I received a replacement tire from J&P cycles over the weekend. Guess what, *it's a mislabeled tire also J&P cycles evidently has a bunch of the mislabeled tires. There is no way I am the only person that has received a mislabeled tire. I have now received two in a row.

*I have canceled my order with J& P cycles and will just wait for the replacement front tire that you are sending out. Dunlop needs to get with J& P cycles and get these mislabeled tires out of their warehouse before someone installs the wrong tire on their motorcycle.

Thanks,

Bob

Hi Bob,

Thank you - Yes, we are looking into the issue.

Your tire should arrive to you on Tuesday.

Thanks,

Rob

Dunlop seems concerned and helpful. J&P cycles, not so much. I won't buy tires from them again. Yes the mislabeling is not their fault but they show a complete disregard for trying to resolve the issues with their warehouse.

Old 03-05-2012, 06:30 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,101 Likes on 3,649 Posts

I have never bought anything from J&P... i have seen good and bad about them... Can't comment...They should've checked before they just sent another one out... that's just assanine...
I personally like Jakewilson.com ... Had good luck with them.

Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by gearhead998
I am sure someone will correct me if I', wrong, but you have to use the Bias. The radials don't come in your size. There should be the same size for your front available, and I think you should be able to use an MU90 on the rear instead of the 85 you already have.

You have it absolutely correct - just installed the very same on my 05 Road King in December. Looking forward to trying them out - hopefully by the time Spring is official on March 20th.

Old 03-06-2012, 11:10 AM
roadkinglobo
Supporter
Received 76 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman265
JP Cycles are a bunch of Idiots. I won't set foot on there again.......
Yyyyyyeeeeeeppppppppp!

Old 03-06-2012, 05:29 PM
Clayslayer
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Dunlop Elite 3 radial on my FLHTK. The size on the rear is 180/70/16 and is about 1/2" taller than the stock tire. The 180/65/16 is a "Harley only" size created for the sole purpose of bleeding your wallet dry. Thanks MOCO, you unethical ******.

I bought it at a Honda dealer after a Harley dealer quoted me $450 to replace the rear tire. I figured a Goldwing is a big *** bike, why wouldn't one of their tires fit a Harley?

The tire I bought was originally destined to go on a Victory CrossRoads. It was pretty happy to end up going on my geezer glide. I saved a LOT of money too.

It works just fine. 6,000+ miles on it to date without issue. Oh, I have the OEM tire on the front still too. There was absolutely no noticeable difference in handling or performance. The only thing is that my speedometer is slightly more accurate now.

Old 08-27-2012, 04:46 PM
ddoug
Stage I

Originally Posted by Sailrider 1
It was a rear tire, that had a paper label on it that said it was a front tire. yes it could be used as a rear tire with no problem if it was the proper size for your bike. Dunlop sells this tire size as a front and a rear for certain bikes but the tires are different.

The Dunlop rep told me that after I brought it to their attention they checked their warehouse and found an entire pallet of mislabeled tires.

I am getting a replacement tire from JP Cycles and Dunlop is sending me another one as a thank you. so getting two tires for one.
Wow. Some months ago I had a Dunlop E3 mounted on the front wheel of my VTX1800. When I went to put the wheel back on the bike I had to remove some deflectors that I didn't have to remove to pull the wheel. I remember thinking "that's f'n weird, I don't remember ever having to do this to get the wheel back on."

I'll bet you dollars to donuts that I had a mislabeled tire.

Not that it matters to me now. I traded it in for a 2004 RG ;-)

Old 08-27-2012, 04:57 PM
CRocks
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

For cornering, I'd choose radials. For mileage, I'd go with bias. And they are excellent tires, I had three sets on my last bike, 20K ea.

Old 08-30-2012, 10:35 AM
Dew Me
Elite HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by CRocks
For cornering, I'd choose radials. For mileage, I'd go with bias. And they are excellent tires, I had three sets on my last bike, 20K ea.
???-Thought Radial would get better mileage. Am I missing something?

Old 09-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Blk Betty
Advanced

My concern is; I've seen radial tires blow out on r.v. trailers, and when they do they can cause a lot of damage under the fender well, just like a big ole grinder. I would hate to be sitting on my bike if that ever happened !