Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shocks for FLHX

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 09:10 AM
tem2169
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Shocks for FLHX

I've been looking at posts on shocks and went to several sites regarding replacement shocks for my 2012 FLHX. There are so many options it is confusing. Based on what I've read, I guess the best alternatives are Progressive or Ohlins, but there are so many variations and I'm not sure which brand is more appropriate. I also would like the ride height to be the same or possibly an inch lower than stock, Can anyone recommend the right replacement?

P.S. I am not looking to spend a mint and don't need the Cadillac of shocks.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:19 AM
floridapoolboy
Road Master
Received 33 Likes on 19 Posts

I went with the Progressive 412 series shock, 11.5 inch, with heavy duty springs. These shocks give a nice ride with two people, lower the bike some, and are reasonably priced.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:26 AM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Keep reading the old posts for info. There are many opinions.

Ohlins, Terrycable, Works are some of the high end shocks, $ 550.00 to over $ 1000.00. Most of the Ohlins users are set on them , if thats the way you want to go call Howard at Motorcycle Metal for info and great pricing for Forum members.

The Mid to High end stuff seems to be Progressive (their "Best" models 440, 444, 940, 944) or the HD Premium Adjustable Shocks (CVO)they are $ 400.00 to $475.00. or Progressive s "Better " line 412 or 430 run $210.00 $375.00

I went with Progressive 940 Ultra Touring Shocks and am very happy with the improvement. Ive use Progressive before on my Sporty and Softail and was happy with them. They are also coming out with a new line of 944 or 444 shocks that have different damping tech. If thats the route you want to go call Progressive and ask some questions. The 940 or 944 will keep your bike at the same height for a SG or RGC (12" shock height) but give you the travel of a 13" shock which really helps soften the ride.

If you want to lower your bike more than it already is with the Progressive Shocks I think you would need to use the 440 or 444 and get a 11.5 or 11" shock. But doing that is going to cost you travel and the ride will suffer even though you are getting a better shock IMO.

Any of the ones Ive mentioned will work better than the HD Air Shocks that your bike came with .

Also if you really want to improve ride and handling you need to do the front suspension too, Monotubes , Gold Valves or at least a better spring and oil change.

Last edited by XARAN; 02-20-2012 at 09:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM
tem2169
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Is there much of a difference between the ride of the 412's, 430's, or 440's? I've read the descriptions on the Progressive website, but I'm not sure exactly what the difference is...other than price.

Old 02-21-2012, 03:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by tem2169
I've been looking at posts on shocks and went to several sites regarding replacement shocks for my 2012 FLHX. There are so many options it is confusing. Based on what I've read, I guess the best alternatives are Progressive or Ohlins, but there are so many variations and I'm not sure which brand is more appropriate. I also would like the ride height to be the same or possibly an inch lower than stock, Can anyone recommend the right replacement?

You're not going to get much help, giving us each the opportunity to recommend our preferred shock! You really need to make up your own mind. I did that by spending a lot of time reading through old shock threads on here, when I realised a trend showed up. Every brand under the sun gets a mention, but only one stands out, often after the owner has tried several others. Now you can go the same route and try several different shocks, or take the short-cut straight to Ohlins. It really is up to you!

Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

Well how much do you have in your budget for shocks? What are your priorities? Ride quality? Ride height? Adjustability? Cost? Are you a bolt it on and forget it type and will you be unhappy if you have to adjust things to get them the way you want them? Sounds to me you just want lower and not too expensive. Maybe I'm wrong?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:30 PM
will2062
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tem 2169, I also have a SG a 2009 and have lowered it down approx. 2" However I did not like the ride with the progressive shocks. I am not knocking them they just were not for me. I just came off of a 2007 Ultra and like the softer plush ride. Like everyone else says it is all personal preference. Probably not what you want to hear, sorry. If it helps, I have a set of 11.5" adjustable Progressive 440's only used 2 weeks, if you are interested? I can email you pics. send me a message to edge2edge@comcast.net

Old 02-21-2012, 04:18 PM
JimmyDee
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been wrestling with this for over two weeks now and have tried to read everything that has been printed about shocks here. I have called Howard so many times at MotorCycleMetals (954-449-6173) that I have him on speed dial. He is very pleasant to talk with and will take the necessary time to give you an education on shocks. Expensive? Yes, but I feel that with his customer support, the price is fair.

It is a rare thing today to find someone that has a passion and knowledge about the product they are representing. Good luck in your search....

Old 02-21-2012, 05:05 PM
BlackBetty
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wrestled with this for over 4 months. Finally broke down, Ohlins are in the mail!
PS. I've talked to Howard more in 4 months then my mother, just sayin'!

Originally Posted by JimmyDee
I have been wrestling with this for over two weeks now and have tried to read everything that has been printed about shocks here. I have called Howard so many times at MotorCycleMetals (954-449-6173) that I have him on speed dial. He is very pleasant to talk with and will take the necessary time to give you an education on shocks. Expensive? Yes, but I feel that with his customer support, the price is fair.

It is a rare thing today to find someone that has a passion and knowledge about the product they are representing. Good luck in your search....

Old 02-21-2012, 05:14 PM
131tman
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looking at replacement shocks for my '12 FLHX. I want the ride height to be an inch lower. Not looking to spend a mint.
@ $140 shipped (Jireh), gave 'em a shot - outstanding quality/performance. Preload range easily set from 140-255lbs (pic).
I weigh 200, preload @ 140 for a smooth/low, solo ride!

eye to eye - 11"
travel - 1.2"
spring rate - 230 medium
http://www.ultimaproducts.com/Ultima...RearShocks.pdf

Quick Reply: Shocks for FLHX