Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power outlet in bags

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 08:07 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power outlet in bags

My bike is down right now until all of the parts come in for my handlebar switch and I was thinking how it seems that my phone is about to die every time I go out riding with my buddies and it would be nice to have something in my bags to plug it up to. My first thought was a usb port since pretty much all new phones can adapt to that, and then thought I might as well do two in case someone else is in the same boat. It seems that only one company makes this and they charge $30!!!

http://www.12voltdesigns.com/Product...rt_Charger.php

I can get 2 cigarette lighter outlets and 2 usb ports for $7, but it isn't nearly as small and I don't' really have a use for the cigarette lighters. It seems that no one else has thought of making these, which is why they can charge $30 for it. Has anyone seen anything like this for a more reasonable price before I concede to their genius and give them $30 ($27 of which is probably profit).

Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM
scottburns8ball
Cruiser

Fat Baggers sells an outlet for saddlebag, for about the same price and sells a tray that sits in it, to put phone a little things on.
http://store.fatbaggers.com/saactrfor20o.html
http://store.fatbaggers.com/12vpoouforsa.html

Old 02-19-2012, 08:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I have the $7 unit.

the extra holes are useful.

so's the $23 difference

Mike

Old 02-19-2012, 08:21 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser

I have the hard leather bags, I don't think the try would work. But $40 for that accessory kit is ridiculous too. I think I'm going to start a side project to put together a power system for a reasonable price if <$20 if anyone is interested.

Old 02-19-2012, 08:28 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try any parts house in your area , like auto zone or such , just depends on how fancy you want it, I think I would stay. Ith the cig type power port as you can do a lot more with it and some things can not use the USB port

Old 02-19-2012, 08:52 PM
brian0128
Novice

Where do you run the power wire to the bag?

Old 02-19-2012, 08:58 PM
sedouglas
Cruiser

There would have to be a small hole in the back of the bag with a quick disconnect plug. I think I'm going to run mine to the accessory switch outlet under the seat so I have the option of keeping it on and charging when I am off the bike.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"There would have to be a small hole in the back of the bag with a quick disconnect plug. I think I'm going to run mine to the accessory switch outlet under the seat so I have the option of keeping it on and charging when I am off the bike"

I think the accessory plug is powered thru the ignition switch which would need to be on. To charge when the bike is parked wire it straight to the battery with a inline fuse.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"There would have to be a small hole in the back of the bag with a quick disconnect plug. I think I'm going to run mine to the accessory switch outlet under the seat so I have the option of keeping it on and charging when I am off the bike"

I think the accessory plug is powered thru the ignition switch which would need to be on. To charge when the bike is parked wire it straight to the battery with a inline fuse.

Old 02-19-2012, 10:13 PM
05 Ultra
Road Master
Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

I ran a SAE plug into the tourpak and keep it tucked behind the inner liner. If I need to charge my phone I use my car charger with one of these. Pretty flexable if I need to charge something else.

Attached Thumbnails Power outlet in bags-31w9qihdfnl__sl500_aa300_.jpg  

Quick Reply: Power outlet in bags