Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Anyone installed Auxillary Lamp Independent Control on a RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012 | 05:51 PM
mile high king
|
Tourer
Question Help - Anyone installed Auxillary Lamp Independent Control on a RKC?

Has anyone installed one of these on a RKC yet? I am using kit 69200442, which says is for FLHR models, which should include my FLHRC. OK, from experience I know that the HD instruction sheets are crap, but I started to install this afternoon, and 2 things don't seem right per the instructions. First, the auxillary light switch on my 08 RKC doesn't have a female terminal connected to a spade terminal coming out the back of the switch as described in the instructions. The wires are soldered directly to the spade terminal coming out of the switch? Second, the wiring harness provided is supposed to connect in-line with the fender tip lights....there are no fender lights on a Classic and I don't see any wires/connectors for it, so I have no-where to plug the new harness into? Do I have the wrong kit?

The steps in question are 4-6 from the instruction manual

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05535.pdf

Old 02-19-2012 | 05:56 PM
TaterSaladonaRoadking
Tourer

I snipped the wires and it only took 5 minutes after the headlight was out. Cannot imagine the wiring harness is that difficult, it was made to be idiot proof, just look at the wiring diagram in your service manual

Old 02-20-2012 | 11:21 AM
mile high king
|
Tourer

Your post confirms what I already knew, that I am an idiot about this, however I remain in that condition and if anyone who has actually successfully installed one of these kits, (not spliced wires w/o a kit) on a RKC w/o fender lights can tell me what I am looking at wrong, I would still appreciate it. Thanks.

Originally Posted by TaterSaladonaRoadking
I snipped the wires and it only took 5 minutes after the headlight was out. Cannot imagine the wiring harness is that difficult, it was made to be idiot proof, just look at the wiring diagram in your service manual

Old 02-20-2012 | 11:24 AM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member

OK kids here is the deal, Uncle Sam says the driving lights can not be on with the high beams if you want the bike to meet DOT spec at time of manufacture.

So HD uses the power to the low beam to run the auxiliary lamps

All you have to do is find the wire into the switch, cut it, seal the harness side of it with tape and splice in a new wire 16AWG stranded fused w/15 amp inline fuse to another power source, switched would be my choice.

Old 02-22-2012 | 02:58 PM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

I installed this kit on my 2009 RKC. It is the same as 2008. There IS a connector for the fendertip light behind the headlight even though the RKC doesn't connect anything to it. Use a soldering iron to remove the wire from the switch and file it smooth so the female spade connector slides over it.

Old 02-22-2012 | 03:19 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bingee
I installed this kit on my 2009 RKC. It is the same as 2008. There IS a connector for the fendertip light behind the headlight even though the RKC doesn't connect anything to it. Use a soldering iron to remove the wire from the switch and file it smooth so the female spade connector slides over it.
I'm an idiot too, do you have a pic?

Old 02-22-2012 | 04:13 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by mile high king
Your post confirms what I already knew, that I am an idiot about this, however I remain in that condition and if anyone who has actually successfully installed one of these kits, (not spliced wires w/o a kit) on a RKC w/o fender lights can tell me what I am looking at wrong, I would still appreciate it. Thanks.
Nah your not an idiot, the idiot is the clown they keep using to put those damn instruction sheets together. I would take the kit back and use this diagram to splice the yellow wire since you have everything apart, it really doesn't get any easier than this:

Old 02-22-2012 | 05:23 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by TUCCI
Nah your not an idiot, the idiot is the clown they keep using to put those damn instruction sheets together. I would take the kit back and use this diagram to splice the yellow wire since you have everything apart, it really doesn't get any easier than this:

Yeah, I've seen that diagram, I guess I'll take the headlight out and splice it up. I have the kit, but I cant understand why they'd sell a part with connectors that dont connect.

Old 02-22-2012 | 06:36 PM
Tconnors810
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mile high king
Has anyone installed one of these on a RKC yet? I am using kit 69200442, which says is for FLHR models, which should include my FLHRC. OK, from experience I know that the HD instruction sheets are crap, but I started to install this afternoon, and 2 things don't seem right per the instructions. First, the auxillary light switch on my 08 RKC doesn't have a female terminal connected to a spade terminal coming out the back of the switch as described in the instructions. The wires are soldered directly to the spade terminal coming out of the switch? Second, the wiring harness provided is supposed to connect in-line with the fender tip lights....there are no fender lights on a Classic and I don't see any wires/connectors for it, so I have no-where to plug the new harness into? Do I have the wrong kit?

The steps in question are 4-6 from the instruction manual

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05535.pdf

I was whining about this in the other thread, but decided not to return it and just fix it.

Step one, ignore the directions, what do you want for $30. For Harley that's practically free!

The wire that is black, in my directions it says it's orange and white, either way it's the one with the fuse, needs to get connected to the switch.

Go to the white 4 pin connector at the end of the switch, don't mess with the switch end, it's probably soldered. Unplug it and look for the #1 on the white connector. It's written on the connector and it is inline with the yellow wire on the other side of the connector. Pull the number one wire out of the white connector and snip off the male metal connector. Attach a male spade connector to that.
One of theseHelp - Anyone installed Auxillary Lamp Independent Control on a RKC?-images.jpg

So you are now going to have your switch still connected to the white 4 pin connector but one of the wires now has the spade connector instead of going into the white connector.

Plug that back together and attach the new harness wire, the one with the fuse, to the spade connector.

Now fish around in there and you'll find the connector that is used for the fender light for other bikes. It's in there, but because the classics don't use it, it could be tapped off or bundled with other wires. The wire colors are black and orange/white. Plug in the new harness, only one side it only can go one way.

Worked like a charm for me . Sorry I can't take pics, I put everthing back together.

TC

Old 02-22-2012 | 06:42 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member

Ok, thanks, thats helpful, I'm going to get after it in the next couple days.

Quick Reply: Help - Anyone installed Auxillary Lamp Independent Control on a RKC?