Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help - Anyone installed Auxillary Lamp Independent Control on a RKC?

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2012 | 09:47 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member

To install this kit on a RKC you have to remove the auxiliary light switch and the headlight and its mounting bracket held on by the 8 screws. Once you have it off look around in the harness wires and you'll find one with a connector that isn't connected to anything. It's there someplace. Dig around. You'll find it. It has a small removeable plastic plug in the end of it to keep it dry. That's the fender tip light connector. It has an orange with white strip colored wire and a black wire going into it. Now, the jumper wire you got in the kit has an orange and white wire with a plug on one end of it that will fit exactly into that connector. There's another connector on the other end that you will not use because you don't have a fender tip light to plug into it. The black wire that's attached to the kit will get connected to the auxiliary light switch. It's shown on the instructions as an orange wire with a white stripe. But that wrong! It's really a black wire with a fuse box on it. Getting the auxiliary switch off can be tricky getting in such a small place to loosen that nut. But once off you can feed it back out of the headlight opening or drop it down after unpluging it from the white connector. Pull back the insulation on the center position and use a soldering iron to remove the wire from the spade. File the spade smooth so that the female end of the black wire's connector slides snugly onto the switch's center spade. Test it out and put it all back together. Takes about 1/2 hour. By the way have a few spare well nuts available.

Old 02-23-2012 | 10:10 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Angry

Originally Posted by Bingee
To install this kit on a RKC you have to remove the auxiliary light switch and the headlight and its mounting bracket held on by the 8 screws. Once you have it off look around in the harness wires and you'll find one with a connector that isn't connected to anything. It's there someplace. Dig around. You'll find it. It has a small removeable plastic plug in the end of it to keep it dry. That's the fender tip light connector. It has an orange with white strip colored wire and a black wire going into it. Now, the jumper wire you got in the kit has an orange and white wire with a plug on one end of it that will fit exactly into that connector. There's another connector on the other end that you will not use because you don't have a fender tip light to plug into it. The black wire that's attached to the kit will get connected to the auxiliary light switch. It's shown on the instructions as an orange wire with a white stripe. But that wrong! It's really a black wire with a fuse box on it. Getting the auxiliary switch off can be tricky getting in such a small place to loosen that nut. But once off you can feed it back out of the headlight opening or drop it down after unpluging it from the white connector. Pull back the insulation on the center position and use a soldering iron to remove the wire from the spade. File the spade smooth so that the female end of the black wire's connector slides snugly onto the switch's center spade. Test it out and put it all back together. Takes about 1/2 hour. By the way have a few spare well nuts available.
I bought this kit- what a cluster ..... I am going to have dealer do this and have them mess with ( their own #$#$#!) that way it is on them and not on my poor skills.

Old 03-03-2012 | 07:05 PM
mile high king
|
Tourer

Thanks TConnors, I followed your instructions and they worked!! Wow, how wrong could the HD instructions be?? Not even close. So much for this being "plug n play", I would call it "some plug and some splice", I can't believe it comes from the factory that way, and not even close to being worth $30 when you still have to splice. That said, once you get in it, it work like a charm, I can now have my spots on regardless or high or low beam!!

Originally Posted by Tconnors810
I was whining about this in the other thread, but decided not to return it and just fix it.

Step one, ignore the directions, what do you want for $30. For Harley that's practically free!

The wire that is black, in my directions it says it's orange and white, either way it's the one with the fuse, needs to get connected to the switch.

Go to the white 4 pin connector at the end of the switch, don't mess with the switch end, it's probably soldered. Unplug it and look for the #1 on the white connector. It's written on the connector and it is inline with the yellow wire on the other side of the connector. Pull the number one wire out of the white connector and snip off the male metal connector. Attach a male spade connector to that.
One of theseAttachment 234160

So you are now going to have your switch still connected to the white 4 pin connector but one of the wires now has the spade connector instead of going into the white connector.

Plug that back together and attach the new harness wire, the one with the fuse, to the spade connector.

Now fish around in there and you'll find the connector that is used for the fender light for other bikes. It's in there, but because the classics don't use it, it could be tapped off or bundled with other wires. The wire colors are black and orange/white. Plug in the new harness, only one side it only can go one way.

Worked like a charm for me . Sorry I can't take pics, I put everthing back together.

TC

Old 03-03-2012 | 11:35 PM
Nute
Road Master

Here's another suggestion and cheaper than the HD version. Looks pretty simple and straight forward to install.

https://www.spiyda.com/magento/index.php/test.html

Old 03-13-2012 | 06:48 PM
scooterkid
6th Gear

Has anyone installed this Auxiliary lamp independent control wire harness
on a Heritage Softail? It says the wire/connector is under the left side of the gas tank? Is this where this connector actually is and if so does the gas tank have to be removed? I read in other postings that the instructions are not very accurate and was hoping it was in an easier place to get to then there. Any info would be appreciated.