Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you keep you bike in a heated garage?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2006, 02:48 AM
06glide
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Do you keep you bike in a heated garage?

Hey all, for the last year plus I've kept my bike in a temperture control storage unit, I'll settle on a house in Jan and was curious how the bike would handle in a shed with no heat. this will be a temperary situation, but is there really a need to be concerned about the moisture and temperature causing rust to the bike?

Old 12-18-2006, 03:14 AM
Qball
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Do you keep you bike in a heated garage?

I've kept bikes in an enclosed trailer with no heat. I found even with ventilation, I would get condensation on the bikes. I have put large double doors in my basement and the bikes are in with the coal stove...nice and toasty.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:24 AM
jmorton10
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I keep my bikes in an unheated garage with no problem. It is heated when I work in it, but no other time.

My garage is finished & insulated & attached to my house, but it still gets REAL cold at times(upstate NY winters get cold).

~John

Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

I have always kept my bikes in no heat.Just make sure they are not sitting next to a window,or you will not like what you will find in the spring.The sun will heat the metal up and at night it will cool down,and water will end up inside the cases.Not Good!! Stored the right way, nothing will happen to them.The condensation on the outside is Okay,you always have to clean the bike up in the spring anyway.Batterytender always!! Full tank of gas,new oil and filter,tire pressure,cover,etc,etc.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:42 AM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Let me share this with you. got a call from my sister this fall about her neighbor wanting to sell his 2001 Sportster "Roadster", 1200. He's a rich Lawyer who bought the bike new in 01 to jump in the game. He rode it 5 times and put it away with 500, yes 500 miles on it. Then he got busy with his life and never rode it again. He had no idea what it was worth and I went to look at it in hopes of gettin a steal and usin it to create my "crazy bar-hopper". The bike was kept in a non heated garage here in the Boston area covered with a tarp for the last 5 years. He himself had not even lifted the tarp for the last 5 years so we both got a look at it for the first time together since he last rode it. When that clown lifted that tarp off I JUST ABOUT CRIED!!! The bike was destroyed man. I mean every part of that bike was pitted beyond belief. The chrome covers on the engine and heads were so bad that the chrome was flaking off to the touch! You should of seen the look on this guy's face. It wasn't the money that bothered him, it was a life-time of feeling like the smart one in the room by telling clients what to do had been turned on him, and now he felt like the idiot. I went easy on him and didn't hammer him, but told him he would probably need to sell at a huge loss to get rid of the thing and that I wasn't interested.......I see by your profile that you're in Maryland and I would be careful if I was you. If nothing else get one of those oil-filled space heaters and throw it in the garage. It will suck up and dry most moisture saving you $$$$.

[IMG]local://upfiles/20949/A4D555CB7E7F4CD0B13310EADE8885C8.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-18-2006, 10:54 AM
Harleypaw
Tourer

Central heat and air in my shop year round.

Old 12-18-2006, 10:58 AM
Terry TK
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 157 Likes on 53 Posts

I don't have a heated garage but I wish I did. Throw a sheet over the bike (it won't draw extra moisture) and put it on a battery tender (this is a must). Go out and start it every week or so and try to let it warm all the way up. It would be a good idea to clean it well before parking it and put a good coat of wax on everything.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:04 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I've got mine in a 16x24 shop, mostly insulated, it's covered, has a batt. tender on it, and a light bulb under it, seems to be ok, I know a guy who has a 06 Street Glide, went to his place couple of weeks ago, has it in a old wood building uncovered, nothing for moisture control at all, opened the door, ton's of condisation on his bike and his old bike as well. NOT GOOD.

Old 12-18-2006, 11:08 AM
4Scott4
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

i keep my bike in my basement.. never drops below 55 or 60 deg any time of the year!

Old 12-18-2006, 11:09 AM
21Yankee
Cruiser

Mine's in an unheated garage, plugged into a battery tender. I start it once a week and let it run for awhile. Haven't had any problems.

Quick Reply: Do you keep you bike in a heated garage?