Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Biketronics vs. Hawg Wired

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 01:57 AM
Gee20
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Biketronics vs. Hawg Wired

I'm planning on changing out my HK head unit for a Kenwood on my '11 SG in the coming months. I want to keep my handlebar controls as well as the automatic volume control functions. I've done a little research and think that the Biketronics BT-1005 is my best bet. Does anyone know if the BT-1005 kit come with a head unit cradle to support the receiver inside the fairing like the Hawg Wired kit does?

Old 02-19-2012, 06:45 AM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 477 Likes on 125 Posts

I prefer HW install kit as it is all metal however it doesn't have AVC , both let you keep the use of your hand controls

Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 AM
FFHD05
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

if the AVC is a deal breaker then you will be getting the biketronics kit.. the hawgwired mount is better mounting option

you can order just the cradle and trim ring from hawg wired mine came last week and its nice..very nice and solid mounted.

you can call biketronics and order the module seperatly if you must have the AVC

Old 02-19-2012, 08:30 AM
DBAGR
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by tj316
I prefer HW install kit as it is all metal however it doesn't have AVC , both let you keep the use of your hand controls
I bought the biketronics unit and it works just like they say, the volume control was a must for me. My only disappointment was their mounting system, so I bought the Hawg Wired mount separately. This mount is one of the best engineered aftermarket parts I've ever purchased. Your total cost will be more doing it this way, but its worth it IMO. Buy the Biketronics kit(only one with auto volume) and look at the mount to see what you think and go from there, maybe I'm just to fussy.

Old 02-19-2012, 09:02 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Biketronics has a lifetime warranty. Hawg wired does not.
Biketronics has AVC. Hawg wired does not.
Some say Hawg wired is built better, I think both are fine.
Biketronics does not have a mounting bracket for theirs, you have to strap it down with velcro or a tie wire.

Old 02-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Gee20
Stage II

Thank you all for your help on this issue. I think I'm going to go with the Biketronics kit(lifetime warranty & AVC), and purchase a Hawg Wired mounting bracket separately, I'd fell better knowing that the head unit is securely mounted inside the fairing.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:07 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is no comparison between the mounting systems. Hawg Wired is 100 times better than the 2 MDF blocks provided by the Biketronics kit. I just installed the Hawg Wired system and I am 100% satisfied with it.

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...t-install.html

On the topic of AVC... I know it grabs lots of attention and has become a "must have" for many people. AVC is actually a bad idea as the volume is raised without any regard to amp (if installed) and speakers. Once the volume is raised (automatically) above peak levels the distortion begins and therefore is played through speakers. If the amp is in the mix this is worse as the amp is now forced to amplify distortion and the speakers continue to play it. This is a deadly combination to your amp and speakers. If the AVC had a limiter that recognized the distortion then it's a worthy feature although this device does not.

Old 02-19-2012, 01:07 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior

You can adjust the amount the AVC amplifies the sound on the BT kit.

I agree the HW mounting system is more favorable, but I have no complaints about the BT mounting. At least not enough for me to justify spending another couple hundred bucks on. That couple hundred bucks is the difference between Progressive and Ohlins right now, and I think that will make a much bigger difference to my bike than a different sleeve for the head unit.

If it fails, I'll look into that route and keep my BT adapter, but for now, 100% satisfied.

Part of the bad things about forums is it can make for a lot of "grass is greener" situations. Both make great products and are good companies to deal with. You will be satisfied with whatever you purchase. And there will always be someone telling you how what they have is better. You honestly cannot go wrong with either company. Both stand-up businesses, with good customer service. BT has a lifetime warranty and I have heard of some situations that they honored warranties on things they shouldn't have to make the customer happy.

Last edited by hougz79; 02-19-2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:39 PM
pauly3
Tourer

Originally Posted by hougz79
You can adjust the amount the AVC amplifies the sound on the BT kit.

I agree the HW mounting system is more favorable, but I have no complaints about the BT mounting. At least not enough for me to justify spending another couple hundred bucks on. That couple hundred bucks is the difference between Progressive and Ohlins right now, and I think that will make a much bigger difference to my bike than a different sleeve for the head unit.

If it fails, I'll look into that route and keep my BT adapter, but for now, 100% satisfied.

Part of the bad things about forums is it can make for a lot of "grass is greener" situations. Both make great products and are good companies to deal with. You will be satisfied with whatever you purchase. And there will always be someone telling you how what they have is better. You honestly cannot go wrong with either company. Both stand-up businesses, with good customer service. BT has a lifetime warranty and I have heard of some situations that they honored warranties on things they shouldn't have to make the customer happy.
That adjustment is to dial-in the brand of head unit and year of your motorcycle:

Quoting BT Manual:
2. Verify dial setting corresponds with bike year and radio brand. See “BT1005 Dial Settings”

I am not trying to convince anyone that the HW kit is better... it is clearly a better choice for the purpose. The same goes for thousands of other products out there and everyone has their preference. How well the product performs it's intended function is what matters!

Old 05-19-2012, 09:49 AM
Bricktop
Stage II
Default Biketronics is great!

I just installed a Biketronice BT1002 and it was a snap. I used a Rockford Fosgate PBR 300X2, Polk Audio MM 651 6.5 and Sony DSX-MS60. Adapter rings for the speakers were from Throttle-up Industries. I was a little concerned about the bracket that came in the Biketronics kit to hold the head unit but it is MORE then adequit. I had a small problem with the install but Mike at Biketronics had the issue handked for me in no time. The AVC that Biketronics offers is second to none and this product works as advertised. If you have not used the AVC you should check it out! Thanks Mike and Biketronics I could not be happier!!

Quick Reply: Biketronics vs. Hawg Wired