Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Metal pieces in oil - what's failed?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 11:33 AM
JONNIEROCK
Road Master
Received 133 Likes on 73 Posts

I would say the dealer should take of this. But be careful if you added something that might void the warrenty. I've heard stories where someone added a trailer hitch, or some other equipment, even though it had nothing to do with the problem, and there was a denial of the claim by the dealer or MOCO.
Jonnierock

Old 02-19-2012, 11:42 AM
turn8a
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by '05Train
Save some of it, send a sample to Blackstone, and take the bike to the dealer (with pictures of the flakes).
Plus 1 ....I would send an oil sample to balckstone .you should have a answer in about a week .Than I would go to the dealer if something shows up in the sample .

Old 02-19-2012, 11:57 AM
Bingee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 350 Likes on 223 Posts

Photo the pieces and take the bike to the dealer along with them. I don't think they'll say it's normal because it's NOT normal. Maybe they can tell where it came from. They may call the MOCO and get OK for a teardown or send you on your way. At least you're on record as identifying a problem.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:09 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 769 Likes on 522 Posts

If you still have them, spoon the pieces into a sandwich bag and take them to the dealer. Let the MOCO pay for an oil analysis if they want one.

Old 02-19-2012, 12:30 PM
Joboo1966
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I just spoke with my friend Phil who's a teacher at DIT in Chicago...he teaches and trains future HD MOCO mechanics.....He said that it is normal for an Engine after fresh put together...IE a new bike, to produce some of these shavings. These shavings can come from many different locations, they can be as simple as shavings that came off the threaded oil filter fittings to shavings from when the cam was installed to several other very normal things that occur during the initial assembly. He said that as long as you are not hearing any issues when running the engine and as long as it still running normally you are probably ok. he would expect the MOCO people to turn you away on the initial visit. He did ask.....Are there any MODS after stock? Beyond a failed MOD you really probably do not need to involve the dealer yet but for piece of mind you probably should. It is likely that since you elected to do the oil change yourself they may find fault with you and try to skinny out of covering the warrantee. He also said that you should not accept this as an ok thing for them to do. Theres no law that says you can not change your own oil. He did advise that you photograph the evidence.....save some for you and some for the MOCO and to avoid riding it until you doccument it with the dealership first and then if they dismiss it get that in writing and go on your way as if it is normal. Then if something happens you have it in writing that they said it was ok to ride and that it was " normal wear and tear." Phil suspects this is normal wear and residual from the initial build and will likely be gone next oil change. But cover your ***. Save evidence , don't ride it, document with dealer.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-19-2012 at 12:32 PM.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:12 PM
journeyman
Road Master
Received 48 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by Draig
Hi
2010 road king, 10,000 miles.
Dropped oil for oil change and found quite alot of small metal pieces in the oil. Some are half to third size of a grain of rice.
Motor runs fine.
Still under 2 year warranty.
So what's the most likely failure - piston ring? Cam tensioner?
I assume whatever it was the design of the oil ways means it's passed through through the oil pump probably damaging that also?
So if I take it to my dealer what is the protocol for such an event? Are they obliged to tear down the motor until they find the failed component?
Anyone been through this before?

Thanks

D

You didn't say which oil, primary? If so, that is a dirty area and I wouldn't worry about it so much, especially on a new engine. The engine oil will produce some shavings too as mentioned for the first oil change or two, normal too. Report it to the dealer so they make a note of what you found for future reference if needed. The key is to watch that is not recurring in future oil changes.

Two likely reasons for metal shavings in a new motor are;
- it is wearing in normally.
- it's the nature of the beast with mass production.

I can tell you from experience that you can take a brand new set of bearings and swish them around in a baby food jar of alcohol, when you remove the bearings there will be metal shavings, tiny, but there. Not much we can do about it.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Draig
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Joboo1966
I just spoke with my friend Phil who's a teacher at DIT in Chicago...he teaches and trains future HD MOCO mechanics.....He said that it is normal for an Engine after fresh put together...IE a new bike, to produce some of these shavings. These shavings can come from many different locations, they can be as simple as shavings that came off the threaded oil filter fittings to shavings from when the cam was installed to several other very normal things that occur during the initial assembly. He said that as long as you are not hearing any issues when running the engine and as long as it still running normally you are probably ok. he would expect the MOCO people to turn you away on the initial visit. He did ask.....Are there any MODS after stock? Beyond a failed MOD you really probably do not need to involve the dealer yet but for piece of mind you probably should. It is likely that since you elected to do the oil change yourself they may find fault with you and try to skinny out of covering the warrantee. He also said that you should not accept this as an ok thing for them to do. Theres no law that says you can not change your own oil. He did advise that you photograph the evidence.....save some for you and some for the MOCO and to avoid riding it until you doccument it with the dealership first and then if they dismiss it get that in writing and go on your way as if it is normal. Then if something happens you have it in writing that they said it was ok to ride and that it was " normal wear and tear." Phil suspects this is normal wear and residual from the initial build and will likely be gone next oil change. But cover your ***. Save evidence , don't ride it, document with dealer.

Hope this helps.

Hi

Thanks everyone - all good advice which I will follow.
Just to make things clearer this IS the engine oil I'm talking about. The dealer did the 500 mile and 5000 mile service. The particals were not stuck to the magnet - they came out with the oil (probably too big to all stay on the magnet). And I'm absolutely sure that the oil catch pan was 100% clean and nothing fell in there before anyone asks. The particals are magnetic.
Only mod to the bike are after market pipes.
Checked oil filter - cut it apart and there was nothing in the element!
I'll document everything as sugested - talk to dealer and let you all know the outcome.

Cheers

D

Old 02-20-2012, 06:21 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,786 Likes on 22,736 Posts

I changed my oil(dino) & filter 3 times before a 1 K; 100, 500, and right @1K and then let er go to 1 more K and then changed it out to synthetic.

Long story short, the break in oil @100 miles had a metalic sheen to it in the sunlight, but not any metal chunkage. FWIW.