Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of new here

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012 | 06:32 PM
avguy
|
Advanced
Default Kind of new here

Hey everyone,

I've posted a few questions on the forum over the last couple of weeks, and everyone has been super helpful. Its a great place to gather lots of info!

I am in some sort of conundrum. I want to purchase a new Harley Davidson, but cannot make up my mind. I come from the sports bike worls of Ducati, Suzuki, BMW, etc...

I was first looking at getting a Street Bob, but thought ot myself that if I were to get a cruiser bike, it might as well allow me to go longer distances and ride all the time. (one of the reasons I want one to begin with).

I am teetering on getting a Road Glide Custom or Street Glide as of now. For some reason, I think of the Road Glide as an "ugly" bike, but for some reason, it really draws me in.

I for some reason am also intrigued by the Road King Classic's looks, but I think I want a fairing and radio.

I am sure that there are plenty of people on here who have been in a similar dilemma. I am looking for some guidance, as riding season is near!

Your comments are appreciated.

Old 02-18-2012 | 06:42 PM
Grizzx2
Tourer

Catch a Demo Ride at a dealer near you and that will help make up your mind. It's that or just get the one you want and go with it. Either way, you'll have a grin on your face from ear to ear.........Trust me....I know....
I'm still grinnin.......

Old 02-18-2012 | 06:54 PM
itsaw0rkinpr0gre$$
"Seeker of Freedom"

That's a decision only you can make, Keep in mind that all three of those bikes will do any long distance touring with ease. The roadking with it's removable windshield gives you options that the other two do not have. A simple ipod and earphones gives you instant tunes. The roadglide has become increasing popular over the past two years, but as you said it is considered to be one of the more ugly Harley bikes by most. However, the people who own them swear they are the best for touring.

I would suggest you spend some time at several dealers if possible. Try to get to one of the demo days and ride them all. Then you'll know, one of them will speak to you. Buy the one that you can't quit thinking about.

Old 02-18-2012 | 07:03 PM
sgnden
Road Master

I loved my SG but my '09 RK is even better as I have the bat wing and tunes (Dragonfly set-up) etc for the long hauls, clear windshield for commuting crap during the week, or strip 'er down (in like 10 minutes) and push my bars forward a touch for city/bar cruising.

Of course, I can't get the Fugly out of my mind a the moment! Ha. I'll surely just keep the RK and keep tinkering. Truly the best of all worlds with this thing.

Yes - ONLY you can make the call. As others said...go rent or get long demo rides and you'll know what you like. Just remember you'll surely be looking at bars, seat, and stage 1 almost immediately to get it as you like it. Hold on to your wallet, man.

Old 02-18-2012 | 07:26 PM
HarleyRanger
Outstanding HDF Member

Sit and or test drive all of them, then get the one that makes your heart go pitter-patter. Trust me you will know when this happens, it's the one that will keep you up all night long if you don't get it that day!

Old 02-18-2012 | 07:37 PM
Buddha2
Advanced

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
Sit and or test drive all of them, then get the one that makes your heart go pitter-patter. Trust me you will know when this happens, it's the one that will keep you up all night long if you don't get it that day!
Are we still talkin' bikes or did we switch to women? Well back to the post, I feel if you are going to ride behind a windshield you might as well have a radio and cruise control.

Old 02-18-2012 | 07:40 PM
tidbit1
Road Warrior

I have had a Sportster, Deuce, and now a Street Glide with radio,cruise, ABS as I ride with my buddies none of them have a radio and I will kind of rub it in when we are at a light. I will ask who ever is beside me "what station are you listening to"? Then I will say "oh I forgot you don't have a radio". both bike are nice it is a personal choice either way you will make the right decision.

Ride safe

Old 02-18-2012 | 07:50 PM
Concrete Man
Outstanding HDF Member

Just wondering how old you are? Not that it matters, but it seems like the younger guys seem to lean more toward the SG.
I actually think the RKC is the best of both worlds, but I'm prejudiced.
Like others say "ride them" then make up your mind.

Old 02-18-2012 | 08:44 PM
artz
Road Master

Ride all the ones that interest you. I thought I would never get a bagger until I drove what all I needed to drive, then I made my decesion. I figured myself a softail guy.
I am on my second bagger. Electra glide.
You owe it to yourself. Don't let others (especially salepeople) dictate to you about your wants and needs. Worst mistake that you could do is that.

Old 02-18-2012 | 08:56 PM
groupw
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by avguy
I think of the Road Glide as an "ugly" bike, but .....
....... that's simply not an issue from this vantage point.

Quick Reply: Kind of new here