Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Kind of new here

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:08 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by HarleyRanger
Sit and or test drive all of them, then get the one that makes your heart go pitter-patter. Trust me you will know when this happens, it's the one that will keep you up all night long if you don't get it that day!
That's my suggestion also....test drive, test drive, test drive until one stands out.

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:24 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

I was in your shoes last February and I settled for a Softail Deluxe. Love my Deluxe but I am riding a lot more than I expected and having a ton of fun. Right now in the market for a 2012 Street Glide in the next few months.

Find a demo day or take a day off on a nice day and go test ride a few bikes. I would highly recommend getting a touring bike or you will be trading it or selling it in the next 1 to 2 years.

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:41 PM
KeeBee
Road Master

Also I am not sure if you have rode bikes without farings or open face helmets or not. But a bike without a faring is a huge difference in the ride. It took me almost 6 months to get use to the wind beating me up.

Old 02-18-2012 | 09:50 PM
one-up
Road Warrior

All touring motorcycles start out as Road Kings. After that, it's add plastic, fiberglass, chrome and a bunch of doo-dads. It all depends on what you want. Test riding is best. When I say test riding, go rent the one you think you like best for a day. Yes, it will cost you a few bucks, but better a few bucks now than a bunch of bucks later when you find out you really don't like it and decide to sell it (at a big loss).

When you have another $140, go rent a Road Glide for the day and find out why you're drawn to it even when you think it's ugly. I have the same feeling about that motorcycle - Sometimes I think it's cool and sometimes I think it's fugly. From a side view it looks like my work bench is hanging over the front fender. I just can't deal with it.

Coming from a sport background, you may want to look hard at a Road King (FLHR). It's a lot of bike for the money and you can build it up as far as you want. It's the most flexible/convertible in my opinion.

Old 02-19-2012 | 12:30 AM
LADNAR
Tourer

Originally Posted by KeeBee
I was in your shoes last February and I settled for a Softail Deluxe. Love my Deluxe but I am riding a lot more than I expected and having a ton of fun. Right now in the market for a 2012 Street Glide in the next few months.

Find a demo day or take a day off on a nice day and go test ride a few bikes. I would highly recommend getting a touring bike or you will be trading it or selling it in the next 1 to 2 years.
Same thing here!

Back in 09 I was teetering between a Fat Bob and a Street Glide.

I went with the Fat Bob, and loved it, but I kept thinking about the baggers. I started riding more and my wife was with me a lot too.

A year later I traded in on my Street Glide.

I spent a lot more money in the long run. My dealer told me to just buy the SG when I was on the fence the first time. He said the same thing happened to him...

If you're on the fence, just buy a bagger.

Old 02-19-2012 | 02:15 AM
Joboo1966
Road Master

Funny.....When I decided to go to the bagger nation I initally really wanted a Road King....knew for sure that was it....but after last summer seing some friends on SG's and Electra's moved me off the RK"S to the point I was no longer sure.....So I drove all if them at some point with my friends.....that didnt help at all lol...each one had measurable qualities that made the choice that much more difficult. Im originally a softail rider so I knew that the bagger was going to be an adjusting period for sure. I finally decided that I would get the decked out Electra Glide Classic....mine has everything the Ultra classic does but the CB.

I wont know for sure if I made the right decision until riding season gets here...I got it at the end of January as an early Valentines day present from my wife. I really do like the ride I ve expierenced so far.....I will say its a little awkward in town starting and stopping. Its a heavy awkward bike that requires a measure of adjustment comming from a softail....no where near as nimble. In any case I am sure I will be happy and love it .....but now I find myself seccond guessing my choice....maybe I shudda went with the RK.....man the kings are versitale.......they offer so much in the way of creative freedom on a touring platform........and they look so hot with apes.......and yet everytime I see a SG I almost wish I would have got one....damn sexy bike.......I think the " ugly" bike you eluded to is very ugly.....I am sure it tours well and rides like a dream but I just think its the ugliest bike I have ever seen and I cant bring myself to drop big coin on a bike I will be worried about people laughing at me on....it really is ugly.....

So asking for opinions is ok...... but really ride everything....examine your wants first...then your needs......and buy it.

Its incredible.....I was on the fence before I bought mine.....and I am still on the fence now....based on the information you provided Id say you probably enjoy the SG most. It seems to meet the things you want from a bagger most.

Last edited by Joboo1966; 02-19-2012 at 02:19 AM.
Old 02-19-2012 | 06:59 AM
Rooster37
Road Master

TEST DRIVE!!!!!!!!!

Really take your time and figure out your needs and wants. I picked my SG 18 months ago thinking that was great and it was. OH, by the way , I forgot I was married. So 18 months later taking in my wifes needs, I bought my limited. Good Luck and enjoy what ever you buy.

Old 02-19-2012 | 08:36 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Welcome, you will be happy with any harley touring bike. You can customize them to no end and buying a harley is 50% bike, 50% new friends you will make in my opinion!

Old 02-19-2012 | 09:23 AM
TKDKurt
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by one-up
All touring motorcycles start out as Road Kings. After that, it's add plastic, fiberglass, chrome and a bunch of doo-dads. It all depends on what you want.

Coming from a sport background, you may want to look hard at a Road King (FLHR). It's a lot of bike for the money and you can build it up as far as you want. It's the most flexible/convertible in my opinion.
Well said. To me, the Road King is the perfect Harley. It can be pretty much whatever you want in a Harley. I'd never want a fairing or a radio on my motorcycle (personal preference) but I could add one if I wanted to. I can also strip it down with quick detach parts and make it a lean cruiser. I'm sure the other tourers handle just as well, but I was personally amazed at how well an 800 pound motorcycle can handle through the twisties.

Let us know what you decide.

Old 02-19-2012 | 09:53 AM
karbar99
Club Member

Originally Posted by KeeBee

Originally Posted by LADNAR
Same thing here!

Back in 09 I was teetering between a Fat Bob and a Street Glide.

I went with the Fat Bob, and loved it, but I kept thinking about the baggers. I started riding more and my wife was with me a lot too.

A year later I traded in on my Street Glide.

I spent a lot more money in the long run. My dealer told me to just buy the SG when I was on the fence the first time. He said the same thing happened to him...

If you're on the fence, just buy a bagger.
Here are a few I agree with. Don't make the mistake like many have in spending the $$ trading or selling. I was one of those too!

Quick Reply: Kind of new here