Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 12:29 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install

Well I installed my new Sony Head Unit DSX-S200X & Hawg Wired HSA470 Kit yesterday and I am extremely happy with the results and quality of both products! I was very leery of which kit to use and after much research and actually installing the Hawg Wired kit there is NO comparison. The cage is made of aluminum and so is the front bezel. Very strong and quality construction on both the kit and the wiring harness. The wiring harness is also excellent and works just as promised. The Sony head unit has taken the sound quality to a whole 'notha level! I was happy with the RF Amp and Speakers connected to my HK head unit although now the sound is sooooo much better. The fact that the Sony head unit has the parametric EQ I am able to fine tune to my liking.

The install went off without a hitch and was very straight forward and easy. The hardest part is removing and re-installing the 2 allen head bolts on each side that secure the head unit to the fairing brackets. This would have been much easier if I would have had those T handle allen wrenches. I improvised using sockets and the like and finally got them off and back on.

Now I didn't want to lose the amp bracket that I previously used with my HK head unit so I went down to Lowe's and purchased those L brackets and again improvised. I first put some rubber standoffs on the bottom of the bracket and then secured the L brackets to the bolt that secures the back of the head unit to the Hawg Wired bracket. I was very happy this worked out as I was not about to velcro the amp to the head unit. It looks bad and the heat is not good for either unit.

Please take a look at the pics below and I hope you all find this post useful and informative. Any questions or help, feel free to ask!

Front Fairing with factory stereo removed:

Hawg Wired HSA470 prepped for install:

Sony DSX-S200X ready for unboxing:

Hawg Wired kit put together with front bezel and Sony cage:

Hawg Wired Kit ready for mounting to fairing brackets:

Front Fairing shot with kit installed and ready for stereo:

Modified Paul Yaffe BaggerNation amp bracket:

Amp bracket secured above headunit:

Head unit installed and secured in kit, without face:

Sony DSX-S200X installed and jammin':

Front fairing shot all done!:

Old 02-18-2012, 12:47 PM
Fathead2003
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice job... looks good. Does the Hawg wired Kit come with a weatherproof cover for the radio? If not you can purchase one at Biketronics.

Old 02-18-2012, 01:35 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member
Received 480 Likes on 126 Posts

nice job

Old 02-18-2012, 02:15 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

HW HSA470 kit is really top notched, I was really impressed. Started mine last night working this weekend won't get to finish it until Monday. Glad you posted pics, looks great, I have an ultra, so I'll have to pull the tour pak speakers from the Nuoh and drive them off the radio, HW amp already driving the upper and lower fairing speakers. Can't wait to hear mine

Old 02-18-2012, 02:20 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 99 Posts

It's hard to beat the Hawg Wired kit, Had mine installed for well over 1yr, not a single problem with it at all, and the install is really very easy. Nice job on improvising the amp brackets!

Old 02-18-2012, 02:24 PM
captainjack
Road Master

Originally Posted by Fathead2003
Nice job... looks good. Does the Hawg wired Kit come with a weatherproof cover for the radio? If not you can purchase one at Biketronics.
You can use the one from Biketronics but only if you don't have the chrome trim around the fairing head unit opening

Old 02-18-2012, 08:30 PM
davidw221
Supporter
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've got the Hawg wired stuff on my bike, I have the sony radio with Tweeters in the upper fairing, fairing speakers, lower fairing speakers and tour pak speakers.
All of my speakers are 4ohm, have a Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp, my lower fairing speakers and my tourpak speakers are wired to the Amp. Sounds great, plenty of power. For the money I can't beat it. My neighbors want me to turn the Radio down when I come home at night says it bothers them, he he! I'm a good neighbor, I don't want them burning shoes or tires some night when I'm having a party, so now I turn my stuff down when I come home, just out of respect, and of course the burning shoes!

Old 02-18-2012, 08:39 PM
1fathog
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hand control question

Can you operate this unit off the hand controls?

Old 02-18-2012, 08:58 PM
captainjack
Road Master

Originally Posted by 1fathog
Can you operate this unit off the hand controls?
Absolutely

Old 02-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Kesean
Stellar HDF Member
Received 395 Likes on 152 Posts

Nice!

Quick Reply: Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install