Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 10:12 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Are we talking about the same unit? The kenwood 596 I looked at has a CD slot. It is not a marine unit, but neither is the stock HK. Do you know if the Biketronics rain cover will fit?
LOL, the OP has the Sony without the CD slot, it's a media player and has a tray for your MP3 or Ipod. I ordered the Kenwood 596, my reasons were I still use CDs sometimes, it has an aux input for my MP3, plus it also has an USB input that I can use for a jump drive or Ipod, also the rca outputs deliver 4 volts instead of 2, and the unit has HD radio built in and a few other things that I like, for $129 with the code and free shipping, I figured I'm not going to pass it up. My experience with radios on bikes has been as long as you don't spray water directly into it, I haven't had a problem, but I may look into a cover.

Old 02-21-2012, 10:25 AM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=pauly3;9423260]piesik650,

What head unit and amp if any are you going to wire the Boom speakers to?=quote]

Ok i think i confused you. I dont run boom. lol I have 2 Hawg wired PSC3004 and 4 sets Rockford speakers running off my HK head unit. Loud yes Clear yes, but would love to have the tune tray. and fader capabillity as of right now i am adjusted my fade by adjusting the gain on my amps. was going to have Ironcross audio reflash and do pre amps but for the money I would rather have this setup and put the H/k setup on the shelf as a spare. My Hawg wired amp should be back from Hawg wired here in the next few days and while i have it apart again I will do this install. (My fat fingers dropped one of the amps and broke the terminals off it.)

Old 02-21-2012, 04:23 PM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dbell66253
LOL, the OP has the Sony without the CD slot, it's a media player and has a tray for your MP3 or Ipod. I ordered the Kenwood 596, my reasons were I still use CDs sometimes, it has an aux input for my MP3, plus it also has an USB input that I can use for a jump drive or Ipod, also the rca outputs deliver 4 volts instead of 2, and the unit has HD radio built in and a few other things that I like, for $129 with the code and free shipping, I figured I'm not going to pass it up. My experience with radios on bikes has been as long as you don't spray water directly into it, I haven't had a problem, but I may look into a cover.
Okay, I'm clear on it now, thanks. I wish I knew how much longer that code will be good for, I'm thinking of getting a kenwood 596 too. This is what I am leaning toward right now.

Kenwood 596
Arc Mini amp 125.2 bx2
folcal 165 A1 speakers
Undecided on the adapter, either hawg wired or biketronics (probably biketronics for the AVS and life time warranty)
I don't know about speaker adapter rings or mounting brackets for the head unit and amp.

Am I highjacking this thread, I better shut up.

Last edited by jjnoble; 02-21-2012 at 04:30 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 04:57 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 523 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3

I just discovered that if you connect your iPhone to the front USB slot you can also listen to Pandora and it will display Artist and Title!!!!!! Now I love it even more!
Just curious, does the Pandora not work if the iPhone is hooked up through the inside tray? Not a deal breaker but I use Pandora a lot and will be getting an iPhone on Friday afternoon April 6th. I will also be smashing my droid with a sledge hammer on Friday night April 6th...

Old 02-21-2012, 07:08 PM
Brick0044
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Can any of you tell me if you can see the display good in direct sunlight? If so which head unit?

Old 02-21-2012, 08:23 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Finished my Sony DSX310BTX install tonight using Hawg wired HSA470, gauges by Myride7(Marty) thanks again Man
amazing sound right out the box, haven't made any adjustments yet,I still have to I love this set up, freaking awsome

Attached Thumbnails Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install-sony-red-and-blue-017.jpg   Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install-sony-red-and-blue-019.jpg  
Old 02-21-2012, 10:33 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by elPrez
Just curious, does the Pandora not work if the iPhone is hooked up through the inside tray? Not a deal breaker but I use Pandora a lot and will be getting an iPhone on Friday afternoon April 6th. I will also be smashing my droid with a sledge hammer on Friday night April 6th...
Correct only through the front USB jack.

Originally Posted by captainjack
Finished my Sony DSX310BTX install tonight using Hawg wired HSA470, gauges by Myride7(Marty) thanks again Man
amazing sound right out the box, haven't made any adjustments yet,I still have to I love this set up, freaking awsome
Those gauges look friggin' amazing!!! How much if you don't mind???? I'm loving my setup as well and the improved sound quality! Have fun tuning, it just keeps sounding better and better!

Old 02-21-2012, 11:15 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pauly3 thanks for the compliment; cost 80.00 for standard gauges 100.00 for CVO types. done by gaugeledmods.com great guy quick turn around, multiple color options.

Old 02-22-2012, 04:59 AM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 523 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3
Correct only through the front USB jack.

Does it not work at all through the inside tray or just doesn't display?

Old 02-22-2012, 08:08 AM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by captainjack

I have been wanting to do the same thing to my guages..........looks good

Quick Reply: Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install