Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 05:16 PM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by jjnoble
That Kenwood 596 sounds like a pretty good deal. Do you know if the biketronics face plate will cover that? When they say it needs an adapter for the steering wheel controls to work, are they talking about the hawg wired or biketronics retro kits or something else is required?
Hawgwireds universal kit is supposed to work with Sony, Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, Clarion, and a few others. I ordered the Kenwood 596 today, the code worked, when I get it and install it, I will be reporting back.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:01 PM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

So why did you choose that particular head unit? I thought about this, noticed your post, and just wondered how you picked that one. There are thousands out there, and I like that price, and Sony head units have treated me well in cars. Just wondering if there was something about it that made it friendlier for bikes or something.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:45 PM
pauly3
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Nut08Ultra
So why did you choose that particular head unit? I thought about this, noticed your post, and just wondered how you picked that one. There are thousands out there, and I like that price, and Sony head units have treated me well in cars. Just wondering if there was something about it that made it friendlier for bikes or something.
There are a few reasons why I chose this unit:
- Price
- Made for Digital Media
- iPhone/iPod friendly
- Parametric EQ
- No CD slot where dust can enter unit
- Great Reviews

Old 02-20-2012, 10:58 PM
electradad
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

I did my hawg wired install last night too! Must be a Sunday thing!lol.. I went with Pioneer on the stereo though. Install was flawless and quality is first rate!

Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Boom Ordered. this stereo is getting expensive.

Old 02-21-2012, 01:12 AM
bigreds1963ss
Road Captain
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

i have to ask....how much sound quality difference is there from using the stock deck vs the sony....i am currently running the fosgate pbr300x4 with the stock deck on my 08 street glide and im not happy with the clarity....so i also ordered the sony media player and wondered how big a difference noticed from stock deck to sony using the fosgate amp...thanks

Old 02-21-2012, 01:46 AM
GLACIERPEARL
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by piesik650
this stereo is getting expensive.
You're telling ME about expensive ???

Old 02-21-2012, 03:22 AM
jjnoble
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3
There are a few reasons why I chose this unit:
- Price
- Made for Digital Media
- iPhone/iPod friendly
- Parametric EQ
- No CD slot where dust can enter unit
- Great Reviews

Are we talking about the same unit? The kenwood 596 I looked at has a CD slot. It is not a marine unit, but neither is the stock HK. Do you know if the Biketronics rain cover will fit?

Old 02-21-2012, 09:45 AM
Tripp_HPjunkie
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3
Well I installed my new Sony Head Unit DSX-S200X & Hawg Wired HSA470 Kit yesterday and I am extremely happy with the results and quality of both products! I was very leery of which kit to use and after much research and actually installing the Hawg Wired kit there is NO comparison. The cage is made of aluminum and so is the front bezel. Very strong and quality construction on both the kit and the wiring harness. The wiring harness is also excellent and works just as promised. The Sony head unit has taken the sound quality to a whole 'notha level! I was happy with the RF Amp and Speakers connected to my HK head unit although now the sound is sooooo much better. The fact that the Sony head unit has the parametric EQ I am able to fine tune to my liking.

The install went off without a hitch and was very straight forward and easy. The hardest part is removing and re-installing the 2 allen head bolts on each side that secure the head unit to the fairing brackets. This would have been much easier if I would have had those T handle allen wrenches. I improvised using sockets and the like and finally got them off and back on.

Now I didn't want to lose the amp bracket that I previously used with my HK head unit so I went down to Lowe's and purchased those L brackets and again improvised. I first put some rubber standoffs on the bottom of the bracket and then secured the L brackets to the bolt that secures the back of the head unit to the Hawg Wired bracket. I was very happy this worked out as I was not about to velcro the amp to the head unit. It looks bad and the heat is not good for either unit.

Please take a look at the pics below and I hope you all find this post useful and informative. Any questions or help, feel free to ask!

Front Fairing with factory stereo removed:

Hawg Wired HSA470 prepped for install:

Sony DSX-S200X ready for unboxing:

Hawg Wired kit put together with front bezel and Sony cage:

Hawg Wired Kit ready for mounting to fairing brackets:

Front Fairing shot with kit installed and ready for stereo:

Modified Paul Yaffe BaggerNation amp bracket:

Amp bracket secured above headunit:

Head unit installed and secured in kit, without face:

Sony DSX-S200X installed and jammin':

Front fairing shot all done!:

Good job.........I really like the looks of that hawg wired kit........

Old 02-21-2012, 09:58 AM
pauly3
Tourer

Originally Posted by piesik650
Boom Ordered. this stereo is getting expensive.
piesik650,

What head unit and amp if any are you going to wire the Boom speakers to?

Originally Posted by bigreds1963ss
i have to ask....how much sound quality difference is there from using the stock deck vs the sony....i am currently running the fosgate pbr300x4 with the stock deck on my 08 street glide and im not happy with the clarity....so i also ordered the sony media player and wondered how big a difference noticed from stock deck to sony using the fosgate amp...thanks
bigreds1963ss,

The fact that the Sony head unit will allow you to wire up your amp using RCA's instead of speaker wires (line-level inputs) there will be a noticed increase in the sound quality. Plus the 7 band Parametric EQ only makes it that much better because you are able to cut the frequencies to your liking and music genres. There is a noticeable difference in both quality and volume. I have my gains set to about 7 right now and that seems about perfect to me.

Originally Posted by jjnoble
Are we talking about the same unit? The kenwood 596 I looked at has a CD slot. It is not a marine unit, but neither is the stock HK. Do you know if the Biketronics rain cover will fit?
jjnoble,

No we were not talking about the same unit. I went with the Sony DSX-S200X and I was giving you the reasons why I chose to go with that one. You are correct the Kenwood does have the CD slot and seems like a fine unit. I don't ever purchase or burn CDs anymore so I had no use for a CD player. I'm much happier with it being made for Digital Media as I can connect my iPhone, iPod, or USB jump drive.

I just discovered that if you connect your iPhone to the front USB slot you can also listen to Pandora and it will display Artist and Title!!!!!! Now I love it even more!

Quick Reply: Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install