Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 09:28 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by drspencer
Could you please describe how your rig sounded better after cutting the RCA's (more clear, louder, etc.)?
Thanks
Much louder

Old 03-28-2012, 08:41 PM
bandit5001
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I cut off the RCA today and it really makes a big difference, I can't believe it but the quality is amazing. Has anyone had the fairing bracket that holds the bottom of the speaker brake, I just realized that the bracket is broken and am not sure if it is from the weight of the last set of speakers or is this a common problem

Old 03-28-2012, 09:24 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bandit5001
I cut off the RCA today and it really makes a big difference, I can't believe it but the quality is amazing. Has anyone had the fairing bracket that holds the bottom of the speaker brake, I just realized that the bracket is broken and am not sure if it is from the weight of the last set of speakers or is this a common problem
very common and it's a $10 part

Old 03-29-2012, 07:32 AM
pauly3
Tourer

Wow. This describes exactly the problem I'm having.

My 2011 Street Glide has the newest Hawg Wired 100Watt/channel amp and a HD head unit that was modded by Iron Cross for low level line out (RCA's), and I've been having trouble ever since I installed it.

It's kind of disappointing to think about getting rid of the low level RCA's.

Did doing do actually improve the sound/performance of your rig, or just make the noise go away (giving the illusion of improvement)?

Thanks
drspencer,

This is a great question! Let me give you some background and hopefully answer your questions as well.

I previously had my RF PBR300x4 amp and speakers running through the factory HK radio using speaker (high level inputs) and had zero noise issues.

When I purchased the Sony head unit by default I made the switch to RCAs and hooked it all up. I was very impressed with the fuller sound and clarity. Although it wasn't until my first long ride that I noticed the electrical hum noise with the motor running. On my 2nd or 3rd start-up is when I caught the fuel pump electrical whine playing through my speakers. It was so bad that when my alarm would arm I would hear the 2 chirps play through as well.

I tore the system apart and re-wired my ground wire from the amp to the neck of the frame and tried a fewer other spots and it fixed nothing. I also grounded the head unit and Hawg Wired Mount to the same place. I finally figured out that I was running my amp power on wire (blue lead) from the Sony in the same wire loom as my power and ground wires running to the amp. I took it out and ran it down the opposite side of the fairing with my RCAs in a separate loom. This helped a bit but that hum and fuel pump whine remained.

Now to answer your question... This change to high level inputs was truly two-fold. All noise is now gone, I am no longer hearing the hum, fuel pump, alarm chirps, nothing at all. PLUS, this removal of EMI (electrical interference) has vastly improved the sound quality. The system is louder, much clearer and more punchy! I am no longer amplifying EMI which in turn allows the actual music to play through much better. I can't say enough good things about the change and improvement.

Old 03-30-2012, 12:38 AM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3
drspencer,

This is a great question! Let me give you some background and hopefully answer your questions as well.

I previously had my RF PBR300x4 amp and speakers running through the factory HK radio using speaker (high level inputs) and had zero noise issues.

When I purchased the Sony head unit by default I made the switch to RCAs and hooked it all up. I was very impressed with the fuller sound and clarity. Although it wasn't until my first long ride that I noticed the electrical hum noise with the motor running. On my 2nd or 3rd start-up is when I caught the fuel pump electrical whine playing through my speakers. It was so bad that when my alarm would arm I would hear the 2 chirps play through as well.

I tore the system apart and re-wired my ground wire from the amp to the neck of the frame and tried a fewer other spots and it fixed nothing. I also grounded the head unit and Hawg Wired Mount to the same place. I finally figured out that I was running my amp power on wire (blue lead) from the Sony in the same wire loom as my power and ground wires running to the amp. I took it out and ran it down the opposite side of the fairing with my RCAs in a separate loom. This helped a bit but that hum and fuel pump whine remained.

Now to answer your question... This change to high level inputs was truly two-fold. All noise is now gone, I am no longer hearing the hum, fuel pump, alarm chirps, nothing at all. PLUS, this removal of EMI (electrical interference) has vastly improved the sound quality. The system is louder, much clearer and more punchy! I am no longer amplifying EMI which in turn allows the actual music to play through much better. I can't say enough good things about the change and improvement.
Thanks for the detailed response. After reading this thread, I'm confident, but not fully convinced, that my issue is related to the need for high level inputs over RCA's. Perhaps you can evaluate my symptoms and offer your opinion.

Ad I previously mentioned, I'm using the newest 200 Watt amp (100 Watts per channel) being offered by Hawg Wired. This is being fed by a stock HD HK head unit that was modded for low level line outs by Iron Cross Audio.

Foremost, I get a loud 'popping' sound out of the speakers each time I turn the head unit on. The volume of this 'pop' is independent of where the volume control is set prior to turning on the head unit. Example: have the volume high = popping sound. Have the volume low = same popping sound, same volume.

Additionally, after the head unit is on, if I turn the volume all the way down, I can hear an audible modulating sound coming through the speakers. Imagine if you could 'hear' your hazard lights blinking, this is what it sound like, that speed.

I'm pretty confident that my grounds are good. I followed the recommended ground suggestions from Hawg Wired, and I even tried different grounding schemes, but no luck.

I tried a noise filter, and that helped only a little bit, and only if I placed it in an awkward mounting position under the fairing, away from almost anything that carried electrical signal.

So, after the 'popping' on start up, and when I turn the volume up past the 'blinking' sound, the rig sounds pretty good to my inexperienced ears. Sure, it sounds better than stock. But for all I know, it could still be lacking, as I have nothing to really compare it to.

What are you thoughts? Does it sound like using high level inputs will solve these issues, or could it be something else?

Thanks

Old 03-30-2012, 07:48 AM
pauly3
Tourer

Thanks for the detailed response. After reading this thread, I'm confident, but not fully convinced, that my issue is related to the need for high level inputs over RCA's. Perhaps you can evaluate my symptoms and offer your opinion.

Ad I previously mentioned, I'm using the newest 200 Watt amp (100 Watts per channel) being offered by Hawg Wired. This is being fed by a stock HD HK head unit that was modded for low level line outs by Iron Cross Audio.

Foremost, I get a loud 'popping' sound out of the speakers each time I turn the head unit on. The volume of this 'pop' is independent of where the volume control is set prior to turning on the head unit. Example: have the volume high = popping sound. Have the volume low = same popping sound, same volume.

Additionally, after the head unit is on, if I turn the volume all the way down, I can hear an audible modulating sound coming through the speakers. Imagine if you could 'hear' your hazard lights blinking, this is what it sound like, that speed.

I'm pretty confident that my grounds are good. I followed the recommended ground suggestions from Hawg Wired, and I even tried different grounding schemes, but no luck.

I tried a noise filter, and that helped only a little bit, and only if I placed it in an awkward mounting position under the fairing, away from almost anything that carried electrical signal.

So, after the 'popping' on start up, and when I turn the volume up past the 'blinking' sound, the rig sounds pretty good to my inexperienced ears. Sure, it sounds better than stock. But for all I know, it could still be lacking, as I have nothing to really compare it to.

What are you thoughts? Does it sound like using high level inputs will solve these issues, or could it be something else?

Thanks
First some questions for you:

1.) Where is your amp Power On lead connected to?
2.) Are you running your RCAs and Power On lead running close to your Amp Power and Ground wires?
3.) Where are you grounding to?
4.) Do the HW Amps allow you to use either RCA or Hi Level inputs?

I will say the audible modulating sound is strictly EMI and it shouldn't be there. You shouldn't need an in-line noise filter as that's a band aid and will cut out certain frequencies.

The popping noise can be dependent on the power on sequence but as well shouldn't be there. When using RCAs on my system I didn't have much of a popping noise so much but I would hear a static grinding noise while the head unit powered on plus I would hear static beeps every time my ABS light would blink after switching the bike to IGN. When I switched to ACC I would again hear the static noise that was there all the time. Once starting the bike and riding it remained there and got worse.

If the pre-amps on the Sony and your modded HK were pumping out at 5volts it would potentially drive enough power to compensate although that is not the case.

Long story short if possible I would recommend giving Hi Level inputs a try!!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:59 AM
lowlifefalcon
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after reading this thread made decide to use the high level instead of the RCA plugs, i hooked up a biketronics adapter, sony head unit, 4 new speakers and 300x4 amp. i have the high levels and everything hooked up and the new speaker wires to the front speakers in the . i will try and finish it up today because i need to run the power wires and ground. My question is, (couldnt find answer) do i have to run new speaker wire to the rear speakers or is there somewhere i can tap into the existing ones? i ran new to the front and just tied off the old ones. i have 2008 ultra.

I know it is a dumb question but i looked and couldnt find the answer.

i have couple other small questions but i will wait until i find this answer.

-Pat

Old 03-31-2012, 08:39 AM
pauly3
Tourer

Originally Posted by lowlifefalcon
after reading this thread made decide to use the high level instead of the RCA plugs, i hooked up a biketronics adapter, sony head unit, 4 new speakers and 300x4 amp. i have the high levels and everything hooked up and the new speaker wires to the front speakers in the . i will try and finish it up today because i need to run the power wires and ground. My question is, (couldnt find answer) do i have to run new speaker wire to the rear speakers or is there somewhere i can tap into the existing ones? i ran new to the front and just tied off the old ones. i have 2008 ultra.

-Pat
Since you will have the tank off to run the power and ground leads for the amp I would definitely run new speaker wires for your rear pods. Run all the wires inside the plastic track that protects your harnesses. Keep them away from each other though to prevent EMI.

Old 03-31-2012, 07:43 PM
bandit5001
Cruiser

Has anyone had any issues with there sony unit not reading your iPod, it was working fine and then yesterday it would not. It is showing not supported on the screen. I tried unplugging and leaving off for a while but nothing. Do I need to send the unit back

Old 04-01-2012, 11:09 AM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by lowlifefalcon

-Pat
On my 09 I used the existing connection to the rear speaker that are located in the non ultra overlay harness, simple and no running new wires

Quick Reply: Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install