Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if you pull those wires out from those clips 4 of those wires are just speaker wires, and the black one is just a bleeder ground also not needed.

Old 03-23-2012, 12:21 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks pielski...it's all done and worked out great. But there might be a problem with the deck. The red illumination is intermittent. If i put a bit of pressure on the faceplate it lights up. The main display is always good.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 PM
pauly3
Tourer

For those of you following my thread, please read this:

After experiencing too much noise in my system using the Sony w/ Tune Tray, RF PBR300X4 and RF Power coaxials I decided to go back to speaker level inputs and remove the RCAs. OMG what a difference! The sound quality is so much better and now my gain is set to 1... YES 1 because it's so damn loud.

I am now hearing frequencies being played that I never heard with the RCAs.

Just like a lot of other guys on here have stated. High level (speaker) inputs are far superior on this amp. It's really not built for RCA hook-ups.

Try it and see the difference!

Old 03-24-2012, 01:02 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by pauly3
For those of you following my thread, please read this:

After experiencing too much noise in my system using the Sony w/ Tune Tray, RF PBR300X4 and RF Power coaxials I decided to go back to speaker level inputs and remove the RCAs. OMG what a difference! The sound quality is so much better and now my gain is set to 1... YES 1 because it's so damn loud.

I am now hearing frequencies being played that I never heard with the RCAs.

Just like a lot of other guys on here have stated. High level (speaker) inputs are far superior on this amp. It's really not built for RCA hook-ups.

Try it and see the difference!

What type of noise were you experiencing?
Thanks

Old 03-24-2012, 01:03 PM
elPrez
Stellar HDF Member
Received 523 Likes on 353 Posts

Just got mine installed (no extra amp) and damn that thing rocks! Thanks for all the info guys.

Old 03-24-2012, 01:04 PM
Mixter
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Is that just for that amp or the arc 125.2 as well?

Old 03-25-2012, 12:41 PM
pauly3
Tourer

Originally Posted by drspencer
What type of noise were you experiencing?
Thanks
I had a constant hum after starting the bike. I also would hear the whine of the fuel pump through my speakers prior to starting up. This wasn't a bad ground situation this was strictly EMI feeding into the RCAs.

I tried different techniques although nothing resolved it. I was about to install a in line noise filter although I'm glad I didn't because that would have put a band-aid on the problem and not actually resolved it.

After reading several times about high-level inputs being superior on this amp I decided to make the switch. To be completely honest I was very reluctant to do so because in all of my years installing car audio systems for myself and family members I always used RCA's and never had an issue.

Originally Posted by Mixter
I can only vouch for the RF PBR series amps. I am not sure if it will improve your sound quality on an Arc system.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:45 PM
PistonPuller
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mixter
My experience has always been the RCA's give better quality. Cutting the RCA's seems to be better only on the Rockford amp. I cut them off mine as well and it sounds much better.

Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by PistonPuller
My experience has always been the RCA's give better quality. Cutting the RCA's seems to be better only on the Rockford amp. I cut them off mine as well and it sounds much better.
Could you please describe how your rig sounded better after cutting the RCA's (more clear, louder, etc.)?
Thanks

Old 03-25-2012, 09:09 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by pauly3
I had a constant hum after starting the bike. I also would hear the whine of the fuel pump through my speakers prior to starting up. This wasn't a bad ground situation this was strictly EMI feeding into the RCAs.

I tried different techniques although nothing resolved it. I was about to install a in line noise filter although I'm glad I didn't because that would have put a band-aid on the problem and not actually resolved it.

After reading several times about high-level inputs being superior on this amp I decided to make the switch. To be completely honest I was very reluctant to do so because in all of my years installing car audio systems for myself and family members I always used RCA's and never had an issue.
Wow. This describes exactly the problem I'm having.

My 2011 Street Glide has the newest Hawg Wired 100Watt/channel amp and a HD head unit that was modded by Iron Cross for low level line out (RCA's), and I've been having trouble ever since I installed it.

It's kind of disappointing to think about getting rid of the low level RCA's.

Did doing do actually improve the sound/performance of your rig, or just make the noise go away (giving the illusion of improvement)?

Thanks

Quick Reply: Sony Head Unit & Hawg Wired Kit Install