Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How changing catalytic converter effects warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 05:59 AM
papejr
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default How changing catalytic converter effects warranty

Does changing the catalytic con. effect the warranty. Want to get rid of the heat. Bikes less than a year old.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

If you do/adjust everything correctly (i.e. CAT removal, tuner, etc...) nothing to worry about. They'd have to prove, without a doubt, any damage was caused by something you did to motor...

Old 02-18-2012, 06:33 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

The dealer can void your warranty for anything they feel like. Good luck fighting that battle. I have read about the warranty rights etc.... Your cost and B.S. you go through in fighting is so frustrating that many will just get the repair fixed and move on. My advice would be to wait until the warranty expires or understand that if you have a related issue to the removal of your cat. They can and may play the "void warranty card" with this modification. All depends on your dealer.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:41 AM
441amx
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How changing catalytic converter effects warranty

The dealer i bought my 11 SG from said it would not void warranty. I took mine out 2 days after I bought the thing. If you are that nervous about it buy a take off pipe throw it in the garage if the bike pukes put the pipe back on before taking it in. Some guys put true duals on before the bike leaves the dealer whats the difference still an exhaust Mod.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:02 AM
VTGlideRider
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpiderPig
The dealer can void your warranty for anything they feel like. Good luck fighting that battle. I have read about the warranty rights etc.... Your cost and B.S. you go through in fighting is so frustrating that many will just get the repair fixed and move on. My advice would be to wait until the warranty expires or understand that if you have a related issue to the removal of your cat. They can and may play the "void warranty card" with this modification. All depends on your dealer.
Dealers playing this card usually do so knowing full well its illegal and are just trying to push you into buying something from them so that you don't "void the warranty". I agree it all depends on the dealer. I wouldn't fight them, I would move on to another dearler. Someone that does this isn't who I want to do business with in the first place.

When I bought my 12 Ultra and they wanted me to buy an ESP I asked them about how my stage 1 would affect the coverage. First words out of their mouth was about Magnuson-Moss and how they would not cover the aftermarket parts themselves I used for the stage 1, but that nothing else would be affected unless the aftermarket stuff specifically caused another part to fail, and that would be rare. In fact one of the upgrades they suggested and wanted to do for me before i took delivery was to install a new cat-less header pipe.

Ask your dealer - if they say it will void the warranty, move on. You don't want to be doing business there no matter what.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:29 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

That is one of the reasons I've got prepaid legal thru work. The object for me would be to damage their reputation if it needed to get ugly. I removed the Cat early on and the diff was noticeable beyond my expectations. If done right you wouldn't be able to tell unless you were looking for it. My question would be were did it put my emissions or did the 02's take care of that for me, but I don't want to hijack this thread.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:54 AM
blockzilla
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 441amx
The dealer i bought my 11 SG from said it would not void warranty. I took mine out 2 days after I bought the thing. If you are that nervous about it buy a take off pipe throw it in the garage if the bike pukes put the pipe back on before taking it in. Some guys put true duals on before the bike leaves the dealer whats the difference still an exhaust Mod.

exactly what they told me on my new bike.... they said no difference than if an aftermarket set of pipes was put on ..

but a person can always get another stock pipe and reinstall it before taking it back to the dealer if something questionable should arise....

Last edited by blockzilla; 02-18-2012 at 07:58 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:08 AM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Magnuson/Moss warranty Act helps protect consumer with emissions issues. Basically anything from "cat Back" won't void warranty. In a nutshell, screwin' with the cats is reason for voiding. Not my opinion, but consumer rights. Went through this with car headers. Also they'll have support with the "its against the law to tamper with emissions" specifically cats. That being said, slip ons are no problem, and for those of us replacing headers, we usually get by with no problem, but the fact remains, if a dealer wanted to say they caused the problem and negated the warrranty, they'd have to prove it. Ultimately, thats a possiblility.

I had the HD SE pro tuner on my S.G. installed by HD with my 103" and on the Tuner and box says for race applications only and may void warranty. And finally, all dealers are different. One may say your fk'd now, another may say no problem.

Last edited by outgood; 02-18-2012 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:19 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

This isn't directly related to your question of CAT removal, but assuming you will be doing more than just removing the CAT here is what a good friend of mine has recently gone through with HD.

My buddy (by nature a tight SOB) has a 10 Ultra, and is trying to get the factory to help a bit with the cost of adding a SE compensator. His stock comp is banging away at start up. He isn't looking for a free ride. A break on the labor or credit for his old comp would make him happy.

HD customer service keeps bring up the Rinehart slip ons, and Power Commander that the dealer installed as the reason not to partially cover the cost.

So beware, for certain warranty issues, even dealer installed aftermarket parts can create a problem.

Old 02-18-2012, 08:44 AM
troop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

I dunno but once the bike is not EPA compliant as it came from the factory, I think the MoCo controls the cards re: your motor. Certainly not electrical, tranny, etc. That said, my dealer would honor the warranty and cover their work but they were upfront about issues I could encounter with other dealers, like if I was out touring and had motor related issues. A good exhaust/tune shouldn't cause you any concerns...

Quick Reply: How changing catalytic converter effects warranty