Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How changing catalytic converter effects warranty

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:44 AM
qtrracer
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 131 Likes on 104 Posts

I can tell you that once you remove the cat your warranty will be void. Unless the warr issue is totally unrelated, etc radio problem. While you are fighting your bike will sit unless you pay to get it fixed then you will be paying for the fight out of your pocket and at that point you are fighting to just get reimbursed. Sound like a winner?

Old 02-18-2012, 11:51 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by dswansbiker
...HD customer service keeps bring up the Rinehart slip ons, and Power Commander that the dealer installed as the reason not to partially cover the cost.
Defeating the ECM, overriding the rev limiter are the quickest out H-D has for a drivetrain problem.
Once the owner takes on programming the ECM, he than takes the responsibility for proper mechanical condition from H-D onto himself.

Most common mods violate the H-D Warranty.

If an owner wants:
If going in for a warranty claim, restore to stock condition, never go in for service where mods can be logged into the computer.

For years, the rule of thumb was to leave the bike stock during the warranty period, see if anything breaks.
Then mod it once the warranty has expired.

If a dealer promises the warranty will not be voided by the stuff they want to sell you- get it in writing- the Dealer is a separate company who cannot represent H-D in a warranty modification

Most performance items in the P&A catalog tell you if they are street legal or not- the implication is that off-road parts are not warranty compliant

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-18-2012 at 02:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2012, 02:28 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The dealerships I know have adopted the don't ask/don't tell policy. If the bike has been modified and comes in for warranty work, they don't tell the moco, and they also say the moco does not ask. They report the work for warranty, Moco says fix it, win win and all is good.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:35 PM
Shredding rubber
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman24
If you do/adjust everything correctly (i.e. CAT removal, tuner, etc...) nothing to worry about. They'd have to prove, without a doubt, any damage was caused by something you did to motor...
Actually the consumer has to prove that it wasn't the modification that caused the issue.
How good is your lawyer.

Old 02-18-2012, 02:44 PM
g money
Account Retired
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

If you removed the catalytic converters from your new car would that void your cars warranty if you engine had a problem. I think so. Why would it be different for a bike?

Old 02-18-2012, 04:09 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Shredding rubber
Actually the consumer has to prove that it wasn't the modification that caused the issue.
How good is your lawyer.
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.

Old 02-18-2012, 05:20 PM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by OWOF
The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act makes it illegal for companies to void your warranty or deny coverage under the warranty simply because you used an aftermarket or recycled part. Still, if it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly, and it causes damage to another part that is covered under the warranty, the manufacturer or dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for any repairs. The FTC says the manufacturer or dealer must show that the aftermarket or recycled part caused the need for repairs before denying warranty coverage.
Ok I see this Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act mentioned several times in various threads. Curious as to anyone that referred to it during a declined repair at a dealer. And how did that work for you? I am betting not to well!

Old 02-18-2012, 06:03 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

I don't recall anyone invoking their MM Act "rights" with a lawyer just to fix a damn motorcycle.

Do you know how much a lawyer costs per hour? They are at least $200/hour, and that's a cut-rate. Then you have to gather data, subpoena records, take depositions, then you have to pay expert witnesses, and you have to WAIT and WAIT and WAIT. Then you totally alienate the dealer with which you filed suit. Then you may (or may not) win your trivial suit but pay out the *** to take a big chance on aggressively protecting your "rights".

So I am just standing by and waiting for the first forum member to go this route and come back here and tell us all about his results in detail.

Trust me, I ain't going to happen.

Do what you want to you bike, and if something happens, be prepared to deal with it out of your pocket if necessary. It will always be much cheaper than litigation, no matter what the problem might be.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:20 PM
outgood
Tourer
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've used the m/m 3x regarding issues when confronted with a denial of repair by a service department without ever using the word lawyer. In several situations, they assume you're not aware of your rights under warranties. I ended up getting repairs done, and on one occasion negotiated a happy medium over labor and parts. Often knowing your rights can avoid lawyers. These were car dealers, not HD. One was $1,300 clutch repair.

Old 02-18-2012, 10:25 PM
scotracy
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Atta boy OWOF!! To many nay sayers on this thread... They all think the dealers and moco are against them. Read my previous post... I have had friends do after market, and went to dealer with warranty issues, and everything was fine.

Quick Reply: How changing catalytic converter effects warranty