Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best Toy Hauler for Harley

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012, 03:44 PM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about cheap 2 bike trailers? I have a RG & Heritage that I need to pul to California. I would rather ride but we are taking our boys with us so I need to get something big enough to load both bikes on.

Old 02-19-2012, 04:19 PM
12limited
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One more small bit of advice...watch your GVW of your tow vehicle. When I was shopping for my new camper...those dealers will do what ever it takes to sell you one...even if it means exceeding your GVW of your truck. They wil put the 5th wheel units further to the back so you can turn with a 5th wheel or add air bags to keep the rear end from sagging.
Sure you could probably tow it just fine, but what is gonna happen when you have a blow out and loose control of it cause you were over loaded. Not worth the risk.
In the motocross circles we used to run with, it has happen and the insurance did not pay for the totaled truck, camper and fought them to pay for the other car they hit. Luckily no body was seriously hurt. This guy was towing a 34-36 ft (I forget the size) camper with a single wheel 3/4 ton, 4 door, 4 wheel drive pickup. He was exceeding the GVW of the truck. tongue weight was over 2500 lbs and he had a pretty big drinking water tank in the back of the truck. Truck was listed as about 2200lb including cargo and passengers. Most of the 1/2 tons and 3/4 ton single wheel vehicles you see on the road towing a big 5th campers are over loaded or exceeded on GVW. So stay away from them. 4 wheel drive and 4 doors take away from the load capacity of a vehicle. Highest capacity trucks are usually 2 door - 2 wheel drive units...
Check you sticker inside the drivers door where the VIN is located.
Dual wheel one tons...you have work real hard to overload them with a camper.

Old 02-19-2012, 05:44 PM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Yep I agree.. I went by my truck manual as to what i was able to safely tow with my truck. I have a 2002 f350 7.3 diesel. I did add some mods to it to make it better during towing. I was able to pull max loaded 13k plus my truck and im right on target. I know I can pull more without a issue but i really didnt want to push it. So I went with a bumper pull Raptor. It has all the frills as the larger raptors. So i would suggest first.. look in your book as to what you can tow safely. Then go from there. It may not be the gigantic rigs that are out there but remember these things are heavy when you get to that size. I also had a smaller one before the one I have now and it lasted on six months due to the bed issue like the post above talked about. So do some shopping. plenty to choose from in this economy and you should be able to find a deal. jeff

Old 02-19-2012, 10:17 PM
SlagleRock
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lots of great advise guys, keep it comin'! I probably won't be making my purchase until late April/Early May so there is plenty of time for research and discussion. I appreciate it!

Old 09-18-2012, 08:25 PM
pjones1969
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I just picked up a used 2011 Puma Unleashed 27sbu three weekends ago, pull it with my Ecoboost FX4, it pulls great, I just got a chock today, the other one is in the mail, went with a B&W Biker Bar for the rear and a Pingel Cycle Jaw for the front, had to mix it up due to the layout of the tanks underneath in order to get two bikes in it, heading to Fayetteville, Arkansas next Thursday for BBB. We looked at Work and Play, sweet trailers, too heavy on the tounge for my truck. I adjusted my weight distributing hitch at the campsite this weekend and made a huge difference, good luck, now is the season to buy

Old 09-20-2012, 10:46 PM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

I bought a slightly used 2011 Keystone Raptor 300MP, 35.5", earlier in the year and 3 months ago a 2012 Ram 3500 CC Dually to pull it. It is my retirement plan.

I had a bracket made to mount the Harbor Freight wheel chock on the right side. Leaves room to add a second bike later. I did reinforce the floor tie-downs.

Attached Thumbnails Best Toy Hauler for Harley-006.jpg   Best Toy Hauler for Harley-002.jpg   Best Toy Hauler for Harley-005.jpg   Best Toy Hauler for Harley-001.jpg  
Old 09-21-2012, 04:49 AM
pjones1969
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I installed the B&W Hitch "BikerBar" the other night, the holding tanks and fuel cell really didn't leave many options for securing a mount through the floor, I'm sure I could have gotten away with something a little cheaper but I figured if the bike came loose it was going to wipe out a lot more that $350 worth of toy hauler

Name:  b308fe72ceff4a956be88eeac7f142cb_zps04453f25.jpg
Views: 1890
Size:  129.7 KB

Old 09-21-2012, 06:00 AM
StreetKing
Tourer

I'm thinking alot about getting one also. Looking at a Grey Wolf 21 foot. I have a half ton 1500 Ram, the trailer weighs 3840lbs. With my RoadKing and no water in the holding tanks,should be fine till I get to a campground. The trailer is made by Forest River. What do you guys think of this set up?

Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 AM
StreetKing
Tourer

Edit the weight it's 4380lbs.

Old 09-21-2012, 07:54 AM
Chunker
Road Warrior
Received 65 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by StreetKing
I'm thinking alot about getting one also. Looking at a Grey Wolf 21 foot. I have a half ton 1500 Ram, the trailer weighs 3840lbs. With my RoadKing and no water in the holding tanks,should be fine till I get to a campground. The trailer is made by Forest River. What do you guys think of this set up?
Not knowing the towing capacities of the truck it's hard to say, but generally speaking 1/2 ton trucks are under rated towing a toy-hauler. Toy-haulers are heavier than a corresponding "regular" RV the same length. The floor of mine is 1" thick plywood for example. The problem with a typical 1/2 ton is by the time the truck is loaded with fuel, people, gear, etc. it significantly reduces the towing capacity. The previous truck I had was a Ford 3/4 ton 6.4l diesel. The engine was certainly strong enough but the truck was just at the edge of towing and cargo capacity and could easily be exceeded by carelessly loading the trailer. Not a problem now. You can never have too much truck.

And a previous comment is certainly true. RV dealers will lie through their teeth whether you have "enough truck", to sell an RV.

Quick Reply: Best Toy Hauler for Harley