Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

O2 Sensors not connected

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:43 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default O2 Sensors not connected

Ok, I know I'm not the smartest nut in the bunch, and I can't believe I just noticed this. I was washing the bike today and noticed that neither of the O2 sensors are connected. Is this because of the PC-V?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:46 PM
HighLiner
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 24 Posts

Sure is.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:48 PM
LarryLives
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I just posted this in ur other thread.....

If you have a Power Commander, Then yes.
The PC has wired O2 eliminators.
Most people use zip ties and just tie them up.
I bought O2 Bung plugs for my pipes, Dealer had them for 20bux, and I didnt want wires hangin, so I took my O2's out and installed the plugs.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:57 PM
bald1der
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LarryLives
I just posted this in ur other thread.....

If you have a Power Commander, Then yes.
The PC has wired O2 eliminators.
Most people use zip ties and just tie them up.
I bought O2 Bung plugs for my pipes, Dealer had them for 20bux, and I didnt want wires hangin, so I took my O2's out and installed the plugs.
Thanks. Didn't mean to double post, I thought I posted it in the touring section, closed the window, and couldn't find it. Then reposted it. lol

Old 02-17-2012, 04:15 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I have Bung plugs from V&H for my ProPipe- and PC-V-equipped 09 SG, but I have not installed them. This because I read somewhere that if the PC dies while far from home I can simply unplug it, plug in the O2 sensors and ride home (maybe a bit more plugging is required). Been planning to figure this out.
Can someone help with that? Is there any other reason to leave the stock sensors and wires in place?

Old 02-17-2012, 05:00 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 73,324 Likes on 22,109 Posts

You can always completely remove them and then put threaded plugs into your stock head pipe into your existing holes that are no longer being utilized.

Old 02-18-2012, 11:59 AM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jefla
I have Bung plugs from V&H for my ProPipe- and PC-V-equipped 09 SG, but I have not installed them. This because I read somewhere that if the PC dies while far from home I can simply unplug it, plug in the O2 sensors and ride home (maybe a bit more plugging is required). Been planning to figure this out.
Can someone help with that? Is there any other reason to leave the stock sensors and wires in place?
You should be fine un hooking the PC and not having the O2 sensors hooked up if you had a PC failure. It may set codes that could be cleared when you get it fixed. I would leave the PC O2 eliminators plugged in to the harness as they have resistors in them to complete the circuit and give the ECM a constant return voltage. It should not be any different than if your O2 sensors failed.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:08 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by X Iron Butt
You should be fine un hooking the PC and not having the O2 sensors hooked up if you had a PC failure. It may set codes that could be cleared when you get it fixed. I would leave the PC O2 eliminators plugged in to the harness as they have resistors in them to complete the circuit and give the ECM a constant return voltage. It should not be any different than if your O2 sensors failed.
Weird. My PC-V does not have any O2 eliminators, they just are unplugged, and that is how it is designed. Now however, my PCIII does in fact have the resistor O2 eliminators.

So to the OP. The answer is yes, because you have a PCV. No you do not have eliminators, you don't need them with a PCV, only a PCIII (and I assume older).

Old 02-18-2012, 12:34 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by JollyRogers
Weird. My PC-V does not have any O2 eliminators, they just are unplugged, and that is how it is designed. Now however, my PCIII does in fact have the resistor O2 eliminators.

So to the OP. The answer is yes, because you have a PCV. No you do not have eliminators, you don't need them with a PCV, only a PCIII (and I assume older).
I still don't beleive he has to plug them back in to run without the PCV hooked up. It will set codes but so what the bike should run fine.

Old 02-18-2012, 12:43 PM
Superfly3176
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

If you get a dyno tune do you have to have these plugged in I noticed this today on mine.

Quick Reply: O2 Sensors not connected