Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dealer wants what for a new starter???

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 03:01 PM
spongetail
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman265
You could pay the diag. fee and bring the bike back home and fix it yourself or bite the bullet. See if they will match an online price for the starter or bring your in own parts cheaper bought online.
They wouldn't let me bring a starter in because of a policy they have against using outside parts. I guess if the part explodes and wipes out me and the bus full of nuns I was following and they installed it then they would be responsible.

I would love to install it myself, but I'm not good at that stuff. Changing oil and bolting on parts is about where my expertise ends.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:13 PM
2011Deluxe
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
it is rare that a starter motor will burn out,

Mike
Used to be but now it happens a lot.

Old 02-17-2012, 03:18 PM
jbkrab
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spongetail
The starter went out on my 2007 Street Glide and the dealer quoted .................................................. ...

I'm not very mechanically inclined so I would not try to do this myself. Thanks for the input.
Spongetail,

If you can change your oil as you said in a later post than I think you can do much more than you give yourself credit for. Think of it this way, if you have some basic tools and a jack (nice to have but not always necessary) and a computer access to You Tube, than you can do just about anything you want when it comes to wrenching on your bike. It all comes down to how determined you are. There are times I just don't want to be bothered doing something and will gladly pay, but a lot of times I just search it out on You Tube or forums such as HDForums.com and post away questions. Everyone is very helpful here and we are learn from each other.

As suggested, spend a few dollars and pick up the DVD's of "Fix My Hog". They are a great inspiration for anyone, novice to lifelong wrench-heads. I bought the Tourer set and even though I may never do much to my FLHTK at least I know what is involved if I have to have work done. A well informed owner is best to deal with than an uninformed one.

I would also suggest buying both the shop manual and the parts manual for your year and model of bike. Just seeing how it is all put together may be inspiration enough to take a stab at it! Remember, it ain't Rocket Science were talking about!

Good Luck,

Last edited by jbkrab; 02-17-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 03:22 PM
VTwinJaxFL
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Starters usually go out due to engines being built and having high compression with no compression releases. The first thing to go is the starter clutch (bendix gear) or the solenoid, both are fairly cheap to replace. If I was going to get a new starter, I would get an aftermarket starter that has a higher output than the stock starter. That usually fixes the issue of burning out a starter due to high compression engines. Sounds like your engine is stock, so an 07 going out on a stock engine sounds fishy to me, I would bet it is your bendix gear (starter clutch) and they are just wanting to make some extra money. What were the symptoms when your starter went?

Old 02-17-2012, 03:38 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by hoethree
Its this kind of bullshit that makes me feel better about my Extended Warranty and how much it cost me......I will be happy if I never have a claim, but then again, if I do.......
...in more than 90% of warranty claims, the cost of the repair is less than what was/will be paid for the warranty...they generally are not a good deal, just a huge profit for HD....

Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 PM
Harleyboyddk
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Some dealers will not work with parts purchased outside the shop. Not the norm, but it's happened to my friends.

Old 02-18-2012, 06:12 AM
SpiderPig
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 52 Posts

This is a perfect scenario to get acquainted with the starter and how it is replaced. As others have stated it is not that hard. If you have changed oils and are somewhat confident you could do this yourself. Many people on here will give advice and provide guidance. Good luck on your repair and learning process along the way. I hope all goes well.

Old 02-18-2012, 07:23 AM
ThaGlyde
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When we were in Daytona last year thats what Rossmeyers charged my dad to replace. Im no wrench either but when i read the HD shop manual I understood why it cost. Ive never heard of doing it without removing at least the outer primary and exhausts. That is the going rate of the MoCo because during prime time in daytona they charged my dad the same price you were quoted.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:13 AM
spongetail
Road Captain

Originally Posted by jbkrab
Spongetail,

If you can change your oil as you said in a later post than I think you can do much more than you give yourself credit for. Think of it this way, if you have some basic tools and a jack (nice to have but not always necessary) and a computer access to You Tube, than you can do just about anything you want when it comes to wrenching on your bike. It all comes down to how determined you are. There are times I just don't want to be bothered doing something and will gladly pay, but a lot of times I just search it out on You Tube or forums such as HDForums.com and post away questions. Everyone is very helpful here and we are learn from each other.

As suggested, spend a few dollars and pick up the DVD's of "Fix My Hog". They are a great inspiration for anyone, novice to lifelong wrench-heads. I bought the Tourer set and even though I may never do much to my FLHTK at least I know what is involved if I have to have work done. A well informed owner is best to deal with than an uninformed one.

I would also suggest buying both the shop manual and the parts manual for your year and model of bike. Just seeing how it is all put together may be inspiration enough to take a stab at it! Remember, it ain't Rocket Science were talking about!

Good Luck,
Thanks jbkrab. I am definitely going to pick up the Fix My Hog DVD's. You're not the first to mention it.

Old 02-18-2012, 09:18 AM
spongetail
Road Captain

Originally Posted by VTwinJaxFL
Starters usually go out due to engines being built and having high compression with no compression releases. The first thing to go is the starter clutch (bendix gear) or the solenoid, both are fairly cheap to replace. If I was going to get a new starter, I would get an aftermarket starter that has a higher output than the stock starter. That usually fixes the issue of burning out a starter due to high compression engines. Sounds like your engine is stock, so an 07 going out on a stock engine sounds fishy to me, I would bet it is your bendix gear (starter clutch) and they are just wanting to make some extra money. What were the symptoms when your starter went?
It would start intermittantly a few times, but this last time it just wouldn't start no matter what. You could hear the fuel pump (?) open and close, but when you hit the start button it would just click.

And based on the advice of others here I am getting the old starter back and will take it to someone to be rebuilt. That should tell me if it was simply the clutch or the whole motor.

Quick Reply: Dealer wants what for a new starter???