Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HogTunes Big Ultra Kit ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2012, 08:49 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Question HogTunes Big Ultra Kit ?

I have a 2008 anniversary Ultra. I have the stock speakers and HK system in it now. I have been leaning towards getting either the Hog Tunes big ultra kit or just upgrade to the boom speakers with out the amp. The big ultra kit has the amp included and it seems to be a better price than the Harley kit. So has any of you guys that have the Hog Tunes big ultra kit have any issues ? how do you like it etc. I need to adjust the volume at like over 50 to hear but then it gets crappy distorted and such. I cant add the tweeter pod either so i would like to know if it is still good without the tweeter pod. I have the GPS setup with the leather dash pad now. I plan on hitting Laconia again this year and was hoping that there will be some resellers up there with a decent price. thanks Jeff.

Last edited by hdman6; 02-17-2012 at 08:58 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:59 AM
Cowboy Rob
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,574 Likes on 1,498 Posts

With Hogtunes offering a new amp and speakers. There are a lot of good deals to be had with the Big Ultra kit. It's just a matter of time till they release a 4channel amp in the new Rev line. If all you are looking for is a little better sound,I would go with the BOOM speakers myself. I just happen to have some for sale too!

Old 02-17-2012, 09:24 AM
hdman6
Tourer
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

If i remember correctly the stock HK unit is 80 watts anyway. So if I just upgraded the speakers would that be a improvement over the stock speakers? I was looking at the Hog tunes for just replacement speakers and its about 200 bucks. I know I have to stay with the 2 ohm ones to work correctly. I don't want to add the speakers then relaize i need the amp but then I have the wrong ohm'ed speakers to add the amp later. I have heard the boom speakers at dealers but they also have the amps installed already on the CVO bikes. Also the booms are like 150 per set. h

Old 02-17-2012, 09:38 AM
cmonico
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a '09 Street Glide and added a tour pak and Hogtunes rear speaker pods. I had the Big Ultra Kit and it's defiantly an improvement over stock. It's louder and better sounding. But........I recently got the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp, the RF 6.25 Power (T1S652) fronts, and the 5.25 Power (T152) rears. Oh baby....Now I'm happy. I did not buy the kit from Bagger Nation. I pieced it together from Ebay and got the front adaptor rings directly from Dragonfly. The whole new system was less than $400. I bumped into a buddy at the grocery store yesterday and he wanted to hear it. I cranked it up and the other grocery getters in the lot where loving it.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:45 AM
jivo
Club Member

Originally Posted by cmonico
I have a '09 Street Glide and added a tour pak and Hogtunes rear speaker pods. I had the Big Ultra Kit and it's defiantly an improvement over stock. It's louder and better sounding. But........I recently got the Rockford Fosgate PBR300X4 amp, the RF 6.25 Power (T1S652) fronts, and the 5.25 Power (T152) rears. Oh baby....Now I'm happy. I did not buy the kit from Bagger Nation. I pieced it together from Ebay and got the front adaptor rings directly from Dragonfly. The whole new system was less than $400. I bumped into a buddy at the grocery store yesterday and he wanted to hear it. I cranked it up and the other grocery getters in the lot where loving it.
Is the wiring that comes with the amp plug compatible, or did you need to purchase/modify the bike wiring? By the way, I see Amazon is selling the Fosgate PBR300X4 amp for $161.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:14 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by hdman6
I have a 2008 anniversary Ultra. I have the stock speakers and HK system in it now. I have been leaning towards getting either the Hog Tunes big ultra kit or just upgrade to the boom speakers with out the amp. The big ultra kit has the amp included and it seems to be a better price than the Harley kit. So has any of you guys that have the Hog Tunes big ultra kit have any issues ? how do you like it etc. I need to adjust the volume at like over 50 to hear but then it gets crappy distorted and such. I cant add the tweeter pod either so i would like to know if it is still good without the tweeter pod. I have the GPS setup with the leather dash pad now. I plan on hitting Laconia again this year and was hoping that there will be some resellers up there with a decent price. thanks Jeff.
hdman,
I pieced my Big Ultra kit together over three months. The speakers were great but the distortion is coming from the head unit. The amp will fix it. At 80 mph my cht is too loud at 3/4 volume and the speakers and amp will take all the way. I came from front row Ted and Hendrix and Aero Smith so I am not afraid of loud. All plug and play no additional harnesses. 2hrs to install if you take your time. Search for best deal and get the green power light on the amp (not the red). LSHD1 sell Drag part numbers for a good discount.

Old 02-17-2012, 04:38 PM
vnelson79
Cruiser

ARC Audio !!!! A little bit more expensive with a amp, but well worth it...

Old 02-17-2012, 04:44 PM
FFHD05
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i installed a big ultra kit on a buddies ultra last month its deff an improvement over stock its a little pitchy but as another poster said for the same money or just a little bit more you can build a far better system...