Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Best tuner and exhaust for my 2009 Road King

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:05 PM
candice
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best tuner and exhaust for my 2009 Road King

I am looking into a tuner,want more power without getting inside the engine and a louder exhaust for my 2009 Road King.Did talk to my Uncle George about it tonight since he knows his Harley stuff and he said stay away from Sampson for the exhaust.He has seen them come back rusted right out and their lifetime warranty sucks.The exhaust is still stock and quiet,can't stand this.I am puchasing this stuff soon after I get my income tax refund which I will be getting a huge chunk this year.

Old 02-17-2012, 08:34 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

One option would be to call Fuel Moto (a sponsor on this website), tell them what you're looking for and they can quote you price and parts, but you'll have to do the labor, or find an independent shop that will install your parts.

Another option is the Vance & Hines 2-1 Pro Pipe. It will give you the best bang for the buck (my opinion). I went with the Pro Pipe, H-D Screamin' Eagle Race Tuner and a Ness Big Sucker air cleaner on my '10 Street Glide. Then after all was installed, I had it dynoed. You should get about 72 H.P and 85 ft. lbs of torque. That's about equivalent to a stock 103 cu. in. engine. The pipe is about $585 retail, tuner is about $450, air cleaner about $140 + labor for tuning (3-4 hours on the dyno) and labor for removal of your pipe. Maybe $1,300 to $1,500 depending on labor rate at your shop. This pipe will give you a wicked powerful sound and it's a great looking pipe.

A 3rd option - if you want to keep the dual muffler look, you could buy an air cleaner and pair of slip-on mufflers along with a download (for fuel adjustment). I'm assuming because you have an '09 that you do not have a catalytic converter in the head pipe. This would be a less expensive way, but you wouldn't get as much power as the Pro Pipe. However, you could get a great sound from this option.

You should check out sound clips on Youtube too. That'll give you an idea of what you want.

See attachments Pro Pipe on left, V&H Twin Slash 4'' rounds on right.

Attached Thumbnails Best tuner and exhaust for my 2009 Road King-sam_0562.jpg   Best tuner and exhaust for my 2009 Road King-100_1292.jpg  
Old 02-17-2012, 08:36 AM
ACLazer
Road Warrior
Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

What he said

I traded in my 09 RKC in Sept of 2011.
It had Rush Slip On's, Big Sucker AC and a Power Commander V.
It sounded GREAT and it ran GREAT too.

I really like my Vance and Hines Slash Ovals on my 2012 too.

There are many many choices out there for Exhaust and Tuners, and your going to get just as many suggestions too !!

Good Luck

Attached Thumbnails Best tuner and exhaust for my 2009 Road King-newpics-20001.jpg   Best tuner and exhaust for my 2009 Road King-hdd-006.jpg  

Last edited by ACLazer; 02-17-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 02-17-2012, 09:06 AM
dbell66253
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You might want to contact Dragos also, he knows his stuff. And if you change your mind about the engine, you'd be amazed at how much differnce a cam would make, not all that expensive and not a major job.

Old 02-17-2012, 10:54 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 218 Likes on 167 Posts

A big piece of advice...research tuners real well and get a good knowledge and feel for how, what and where before you take that leap....once your in it up to your knees, your going to be posting a lot...knowledge really is power.

Old 02-17-2012, 11:17 AM
Grillfish
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TUCCI
A big piece of advice...research tuners real well and get a good knowledge and feel for how, what and where before you take that leap....once your in it up to your knees, your going to be posting a lot...knowledge really is power.
Agreed.. Also, if you are dead set on getting it dyno tuned, ensure you know the tuner and what products they use. Some only use TTS, etc...

Old 02-17-2012, 11:26 AM
TedMan
Road Warrior
Received 244 Likes on 158 Posts

One of the beauties of going w/ Fuel Moto is the tuner support. I think the Power Vision is the most powerful and easiest to use tuner (TTS close second), FM Jackpots are just the right level of sound IMO, and service is top notch. Good luck and have fun with the process.

TedMan

Old 02-17-2012, 11:32 AM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member
Received 161 Likes on 146 Posts

Just mufflers or with A air cleaner also? ? ? A good tuner and some dyno time will do it.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:01 PM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by candice
I am looking into a tuner,want more power without getting inside the engine and a louder exhaust for my 2009 Road King.Did talk to my Uncle George about it tonight since he knows his Harley stuff and he said stay away from Sampson for the exhaust.He has seen them come back rusted right out and their lifetime warranty sucks.The exhaust is still stock and quiet,can't stand this.I am puchasing this stuff soon after I get my income tax refund which I will be getting a huge chunk this year.
My $.02, not like it's worth much, but it might give you some insight. I had a 2008 RK with Arlen Ness Big Sucker, Rush slip ons with 2.25" baffles and a Fuel Pak tuner. I went with the Fuel Pak because it was cheap and I knew I wouldn't be doing engine mods. Rode that bike for 30,000+ miles, it sounded and ran great, did exactly what I expected and wanted. Fast forward, bought a 2012 SG, bought Fuel Moto kit, Jackpots, air system and Power Vision. Bought the Power Vision because I knew I would be doing engine mods, have added a cam and am going to 107" next month. I can't say enough about Fuel Moto's products and customer service, every good thing you read about them on this forum is true based on my personal experience. That said, I was happy with the setup on my RK, but the SG, all I can say is WOW, every time I ride it. So yeah, I recommend you call Fuel Moto and express your desires to see what they can do for you.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:13 PM
candice
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Uncle George knows what he is doing,I trust him since he knows his harley stuff wrenching on them for 34 years.He is talking me into the 2 in 1 vance and Hines set up for the exhaust.He has a tuner for mine brand new in the box.I have been told what is done if I wanted to do have engine work done.Engine completely torn down and the crankshaft assembly sent in to have the crank pin welded and balanced.My Uncle George said if this is not done,will do it all over again.

Quick Reply: Best tuner and exhaust for my 2009 Road King