Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barely made it home with primary banging like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012 | 07:41 AM
kwoozn
Road Captain

'09 Ultra 10,500 miles.
Out of warranty by three months.
Same noise, took to dealer, inner primary bearing.
At the same time the switch on the handle bar went out.
Dealer in Bellevue WA. replaced all under shop warranty..n/c to me!
Although I did take them two dozen donuts when I picked it up!!

Old 02-21-2012 | 09:32 AM
Damascus
|
Road Captain

I wish Harley had some other set up other than rounded cams against a stop for adjusting the rear wheel/belt tension - especially on the throttle side.

When I tighten the axle nut, the cam on the throttle side moves in the same direction - which loosens the rear wheel/belt tension.

The shop manual says if this happens to start over. I started over 50 times until I finally resorted to tapping that cam upward with a punch and hammer to make sure it touched the stop.

Anybody got any advise or a fix for this?

Much appreciated seeing that I tried to kill myself last time.

Old 02-21-2012 | 12:48 PM
MarcV125
Tourer

Originally Posted by Damascus
Got the bike up on the lift, took off the bags, closely inspected the pulley ... nothing. Looks fine.

Unbutton the primary, prepared to start crying ... nothing. Looks fine.

What the heck is going on???!!! Look back at the rear axle and both cams are pretty much hanging loose.

I have adjusted my belt tension so many times, I not sure what the heck I did wrong this time?!

I know I tightened them!

Somehow my torque job "let go" and the belt wind up binding in the primary causing a racket that had me absolutely convinced it was metal on metal.

Scared the hell out of me anyway. The only real damage I could find on the belt was a 2" burn mark on the outside the pulley.

Now I'm terrified that I can't get those stupid cams to stay in place because they move every time I think I've got them just right. Finally resorted to a hammer and punch to make sure they are both touching the stops

I gotta tell ya ... this little adventure rattled my confidence in my own work, and I might bring it to the local Indy for a double check just to put my mind at ease.

Sorry about the excitement, all. In the end, it was just lousy workmanship. Ugh!
been there done that!!... dont worry about it...stuff happens, no damage was done lesson learned..dont let is razzle you about doing your own work. You dont learn if you dont mess up!!

I wish Harley had some other set up other than rounded cams against a stop for adjusting the rear wheel/belt tension - especially on the throttle side.

When I tighten the axle nut, the cam on the throttle side moves in the same direction - which loosens the rear wheel/belt tension.

The shop manual says if this happens to start over. I started over 50 times until I finally resorted to tapping that cam upward with a punch and hammer to make sure it touched the stop.

Anybody got any advise or a fix for this?

Much appreciated seeing that I tried to kill myself last time.
Thats whats i ended up doing last time..It actually says to use two wrenches in the service manual, but if your working alone its pretty much impossible to do.

Old 02-21-2012 | 04:29 PM
Damascus
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by MarcV125
been there done that!!... dont worry about it...stuff happens, no damage was done lesson learned..dont let is razzle you about doing your own work. You dont learn if you dont mess up!!

Thats whats i ended up doing last time..It actually says to use two wrenches in the service manual, but if your working alone its pretty much impossible to do.
I appreciate the kind words. That one spooked me, but after a test ride I think I got it right - or as best can be hoped for with that cam design. Been reading about more than a few folks getting a surprise like I did.