Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Barely made it home with primary banging like crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2012 | 10:56 PM
Pelonz
Stellar HDF Member

Yep, prolly something self inflicted

Old 02-20-2012 | 08:33 AM
ultra5516
Cruiser

When you adjust the belt doesn't the bike need to be on the ground and you setting on it or someone about the same weight sitting on it? Now if you made that belt to tight you should have heard a noise going do the road and if you didn't hear a noise could be you left the axle loose. Now as that noise in the primary I'm thinking the compensating sprocket bolt came loose I think there is TSB on that happen to a friend of mind. Just my opinion

Old 02-20-2012 | 06:56 PM
MarcV125
Tourer

yawnnnnnnnnn

Old 02-20-2012 | 07:52 PM
Damascus
|
Road Captain
Default 9 Bikes Later and Apparently I'm Still an Incompetent Mechnanic

Got the bike up on the lift, took off the bags, closely inspected the pulley ... nothing. Looks fine.

Unbutton the primary, prepared to start crying ... nothing. Looks fine.

What the heck is going on???!!! Look back at the rear axle and both cams are pretty much hanging loose.

I have adjusted my belt tension so many times, I not sure what the heck I did wrong this time?!

I know I tightened them!

Somehow my torque job "let go" and the belt wind up binding in the primary causing a racket that had me absolutely convinced it was metal on metal.

Scared the hell out of me anyway. The only real damage I could find on the belt was a 2" burn mark on the outside the pulley.

Now I'm terrified that I can't get those stupid cams to stay in place because they move every time I think I've got them just right. Finally resorted to a hammer and punch to make sure they are both touching the stops

I gotta tell ya ... this little adventure rattled my confidence in my own work, and I might bring it to the local Indy for a double check just to put my mind at ease.

Sorry about the excitement, all. In the end, it was just lousy workmanship. Ugh!

Old 02-20-2012 | 08:02 PM
Teardrop
Road Warrior

I know what you mean. I am about ready to install cams on my bike just waiting on one more tool which will be here this Thursday. I have nightmares about my engine exploding in a billion peices when I go to start the bike after the install.

Old 02-20-2012 | 08:07 PM
BLKBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member

Glad you found the problem.

Old 02-20-2012 | 08:13 PM
jmacdonald5
Outstanding HDF Member

....WOW!...you lucked out in my book...just a little re-do on the work and you should be good.....a noise like that could have been a real wallet raper.....glad it worked out, and REALLY glad you came back and told us...I hate cliff-hangers!

Old 02-20-2012 | 08:37 PM
Fatboy Brian
Grand HDF Member

sure glad its all good. thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Old 02-21-2012 | 06:29 AM
kyote
Road Master

Glad all is ok.. I was gonna guess that your "muffler bearing" let go... lol

Old 02-21-2012 | 07:39 AM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member

Mods can we please have this worthless thread deleted!!! Waste of time it is....Just a waste of time...Is there no shame!!! LOL...

Quick Reply: Barely made it home with primary banging like crazy!