Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal wiring bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 11:49 AM
hdbagr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Internal wiring bars

Getting everything ready to wire/ install bars (10" MBB)this weekend, did'nt buy the wire extension kit, was wondering what gauge wire eveyone used when making they're own entensions?

Old 02-16-2012, 12:18 PM
WILLETTS
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hmmm I did mine about 2 yrs ago, put 11"s on. awww sorry man just to long ago to remember the wire size. Do know that its not too tough too do, that is if you know how to solder.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:24 PM
HD Jim
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbagr
Getting everything ready to wire/ install bars (10" MBB)this weekend, did'nt buy the wire extension kit, was wondering what gauge wire eveyone used when making they're own entensions?
I've used 18 gauge before.. perhaps other will chime in with their recommendations?

Old 02-16-2012, 03:04 PM
drnk_n_publick
Road Captain

18 gauge. Any fatter and you'll have a hell of a time running your wires.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:10 PM
dpk20x
Tourer

Are you sure you need to extend your wires? You might have enough slack to work with

Old 02-16-2012, 04:35 PM
JRBass
Road Captain

I just did WO575's which are 10 inch and no wire extensions needed. just relocate the plugs in the fairing to the sides of the radio and secure.. TBW was plenty long to stay in original location.

Old 02-16-2012, 04:36 PM
JRBass
Road Captain

Duh.. There are both 16ga and 18ga in there..

Old 02-16-2012, 07:11 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Hey man you dont need extensions with the 10" MBB's. Just did mine last week. Plenty of length. Now pulling the wires sucks. I took this set to the local indy and threw him a benjamin and he had them them done in an hour. My wife and my sanity thanked me.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:57 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen1978
Hey man you dont need extensions with the 10" MBB's. Just did mine last week. Plenty of length. Now pulling the wires sucks. I took this set to the local indy and threw him a benjamin and he had them them done in an hour. My wife and my sanity thanked me.
Sooo you just cut the switchs off, pull the wires through then solder the switch wires back up, shrink tube, done? Thanks in advance!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:09 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Oh, no, no, no. DONT do that! LOL! Unplug the wires (and brake MC and clutch of course), remove bars. Go in the house and crack a beer open and then take the switch housings off the bars. Throw stock bars in garbage. On your weather pack connector plugs, you will have 3 total, look down inside them and you will see and off white thing. Reach in there with a semi curved pick and pull them out......might have to alternate sides but they will come out. Then get a flashlight and look into plug and you will see all the little plug ends. NOTE HOW THEY ARE IN THERE......fat part to outside of plug. Take a straight pick and pry out on the clip between plug wall and pin and at same time pull the wire and pin out the back. You will understand all this once you get in there, trust me. TAKE NOTES ON WHERE THEY ARE, WHAT PLUG, ETC. They have to go back in the same place or the bike might crank when you turn the right blinker on or something. Now just take all that and run them through your bars. No need to cut anything or solder anything with the 10" bars. Do a search on here there are way better instructions than I just typed. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Internal wiring bars