Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Internal wiring bars

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2012, 10:11 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So to answer your question your little switch ends stay intact do not fool with them. You have to take the weatherpack connector apart where it unplugs from bike harness. You will have a left and a right and the TBW harness.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:13 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

Did my 10 inch 575's with no extensions needed.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:18 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Glen1978
Oh, no, no, no. DONT do that! LOL! Unplug the wires (and brake MC and clutch of course), remove bars. Go in the house and crack a beer open and then take the switch housings off the bars. Throw stock bars in garbage. On your weather pack connector plugs, you will have 3 total, look down inside them and you will see and off white thing. Reach in there with a semi curved pick and pull them out......might have to alternate sides but they will come out. Then get a flashlight and look into plug and you will see all the little plug ends. NOTE HOW THEY ARE IN THERE......fat part to outside of plug. Take a straight pick and pry out on the clip between plug wall and pin and at same time pull the wire and pin out the back. You will understand all this once you get in there, trust me. TAKE NOTES ON WHERE THEY ARE, WHAT PLUG, ETC. They have to go back in the same place or the bike might crank when you turn the right blinker on or something. Now just take all that and run them through your bars. No need to cut anything or solder anything with the 10" bars. Do a search on here there are way better instructions than I just typed. Good luck.
This is why I wasnt going to be scared to ask a dumb question about this LOL! Thanks for clearing that up!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:22 PM
Glen1978
Road Captain

Just goes to show the only dumb question is the one you didnt ask!

With the 10" bars you dont need to extend ANYTHING. Brake line works as is along with clutch cable. Some say you have to re-route clutch cable OR take it out of the fairing. Mine stayed where it was. Just unbolted clutch lever from bars and let it hang. PYO bars on and bolted clutch back up, done.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:28 PM
ICIBUY
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just goes to show the only dumb question is the one you didnt ask!

With the 10" bars you dont need to extend ANYTHING. Brake line works as is along with clutch cable. Some say you have to re-route clutch cable OR take it out of the fairing. Mine stayed where it was. Just unbolted clutch lever from bars and let it hang. PYO bars on and bolted clutch back up, done.
Thanks again! I already changed my brake line (Black braided) when I went to single disc so it is about 2 inches longer than stock, and I already ordered the +2 Black Braided clutch cable +2 to match that brake line so I'm surely good on those 2. I'm going with chrome bars, and all chrome controls when I make this bar swap so I have to take everything off/apart anyway. Thanks for the info!

Old 02-16-2012, 10:29 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Right on what he's saying. Just did mine about a month ago. I did gaffe 10s and didn't need to extend anything. Brake and clutch included.

Just prepare yourself mentally for pulling/pushing those damned wires through the bars. Slow down, relax, breath, walk away....all good things to remember.

Oh, no, no, no. DONT do that! LOL! Unplug the wires (and brake MC and clutch of course), remove bars. Go in the house and crack a beer open and then take the switch housings off the bars. Throw stock bars in garbage. On your weather pack connector plugs, you will have 3 total, look down inside them and you will see and off white thing. Reach in there with a semi curved pick and pull them out......might have to alternate sides but they will come out. Then get a flashlight and look into plug and you will see all the little plug ends. NOTE HOW THEY ARE IN THERE......fat part to outside of plug. Take a straight pick and pry out on the clip between plug wall and pin and at same time pull the wire and pin out the back. You will understand all this once you get in there, trust me. TAKE NOTES ON WHERE THEY ARE, WHAT PLUG, ETC. They have to go back in the same place or the bike might crank when you turn the right blinker on or something. Now just take all that and run them through your bars. No need to cut anything or solder anything with the 10" bars. Do a search on here there are way better instructions than I just typed. Good luck.

Old 02-16-2012, 10:39 PM
hdbagr
Cruiser

Thanks for the reply's , got everthing apart tonight.I know the green plug is TBW , what is the black plug that goes into the center of the grip sensor? Part of the TBW??Thanks!

Old 02-17-2012, 04:53 PM
JRBass
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hdbagr
Thanks for the reply's , got everthing apart tonight.I know the green plug is TBW , what is the black plug that goes into the center of the grip sensor? Part of the TBW??Thanks!
I just did mine and have the same question... The black and white wire to the TBW has a plug in the bars also but when it gets into the fairing its not hooked up to anything.

Anybody?

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 PM
hdbagr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by JRBass
I just did mine and have the same question... The black and white wire to the TBW has a plug in the bars also but when it gets into the fairing its not hooked up to anything.

Anybody?
Did you run the black plug also? Still trying to figure out what it is. The other end of mine was not hooked up to anything either.??????

Old 02-17-2012, 08:24 PM
jjpish
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The black plug with the two wires is for heated grips. I just did my LA Choppers Prime Apes a couple weeks ago and I cut the black plug and cut those wires clean and shrunk wrapped them.

Be careful pulling the wires through it is a real PITA and you will mangle at least one or two of those molex connectors. I ended up soldering all new extensions with pins on after I got all my wires through but they are 13's so I needed extensions anyway.

Use a piece of 1/8" nylon rope to pull your wires through. It works. I tried string I tried chain I tried praying... the 1/8" rope is what stopped me from putting the stockers back on and selling the new bars on ebay...

Chucky at LA Choppers clued me in on this when I was about to throw in the towel. I was done in less than an hour taking his advice. I also did as he said and greased the s^#@ out of the wires tightly wrapped in electrical tape.

Good Luck, just walk away if you have to take a deep breath and count to 10 or 20 or 30 and go back and try again.

Quick Reply: Internal wiring bars