Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip of my life.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 12:19 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,835 Likes on 19,328 Posts

Originally Posted by BlackPearl#1
Not real sure on the security stuff and that is good thinking, but bring a camera and don't be afraid to ask people to take pics of you and your dad. Lots of us here don't have a dad anymore so enjoy yourselves for all of us!!! Good luck and please report back after you get home.
Kris
+1 on what "BlackPearl" says .... Pictures will definitely make the memories last longer!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Badgerbob
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would like to say thanks again to everybody that has replied. I do respect the honesty and I am making this trip even though I can't afford, it but we never know. He is healthy and I am too, so we both thought we should do this while we are able.
THANK-YOU AGAIN. EVERYBODY.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 PM
jackhis
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

GUYS!
72 is not old!
I have a 85 YOA friend, who has crossed the country many times.
All I can say to the OP is enjoy the ride!

Old 02-15-2012, 10:40 PM
pearsom
Cruiser
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Badgerbob, a trip of a lifetime for sure. Enjoy the time with your Dad and just keep smiling and riding. I'm soooo jealous!

Old 02-16-2012, 08:09 AM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

The Harley Altas can be bought cheaply on line and it lists dealers as well as sites to see and maps. Dealers are known to give special attention to travelers who get stranded. The Reda gas can is also a good idea as suggested above. Fits into a corner of your saddle bag.

Old 02-16-2012, 09:30 AM
StGliderHD
Intermediate
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Try this link. It is a nice printable and customizable checklist that I use.

http://micapeak.com/checklists/mclist.html

Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 PM
sortasuave
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've done a good chunk of that trip.

On a trip that long wind and sun burn indicate a lot of how much you'll enjoy the trip. As such, pack:
* Sunscreen and apply it at each gas stop
* Chapstick with sunscreen in it.
* Long sleeves and/or a mesh jacket to avoid the sunburn. (You might think you'll be hot, but while moving with a limited amount of sun beating down onto your arms, etc you'll be much cooler as the trip progresses)
* A good map, there are a lot of really great roads across AZ and NM. Having the map will help you choose what to take.
* Rain Gear. Protects in the rain AND can be used to keep you warm if you get into cold weather.
* Cell phone and cell phone charger for the bike if you have an outlet
* Chaps if you have the room (always good no matter what you expect the temp to be)
* ear plugs - I love the sound of my bike, but at some point...
* Tools

Have a safe trip!

Old 02-16-2012, 03:05 PM
jberg
Road Warrior
Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Good advice. Wear a light colored long sleeve shirt to protect you from the sun if you're not wearing a mesh jacket and drink more water than you think you'll need. Heat and wind will dehydrate you very quickly. I rode all day in 100* temps without going to the bathroom despite drinking a gallon of water.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:25 PM
Imold
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 4,632 Likes on 2,735 Posts

Been a while, but I've ridden through every state from Texas to Miami with no windshield, no rainsuit, only a bag with a change of clothes, no credit card, and occasionally a little tent. So if you do forget any of today's conveniences, ain't the end of the world, just enjoy anyway. I've done the rest of the west up to Washington state, but by that time had a windshield, saddlebags, and a rainsuit. Does make it more enjoyable. Try to avoid rush hour traffic when you go through cities; if you hit one near 5pm, would be a good time to find a sit down place to eat and relax for an hour or more.

Old 02-16-2012, 03:31 PM
rpbrown
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

My dad bought a Trike last year at 82. We rode to Sturgis, through the Black hills, over to Wyoming, down thru Dever and New Mexico then home. Total trip was a little over 4000 miles. It was indeed a trip of a life time for us togeather and will be remembered as long as we both live.

Have fun and take lots of pics

Quick Reply: Trip of my life.