Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Trip of my life.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:01 AM
DSPORT
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow have a great time with your dad sounds like an amazing oppurtunity

Old 02-15-2012, 10:07 AM
Mr_Bill
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Ride

Enjoy the trip and time spent with your Dad. I hope to do one with my son. This will be something neither one of you will forget! Don't forget to take along your Harley Touring handbook, and I bet your Dad has a BMWMOA member book.Best to play it safe just in case you need assistance on the trip. Great people in both organizations.
Ride Safe,
Mr_Bill

Old 02-15-2012, 10:28 AM
Redbeard719
Grand HDF Member

Received 1,226 Likes on 550 Posts

Man, that's an awesome trip you guys have planned together. I'm sure you'll have a great time too!

Beware, if you try to pack half the stuff that people suggest here, you're going to need a trailer to pull behind your bike!

Common sense prevails. Pack light, and pack smart.

Here's a quick list:
Rain Gear
Flashlight
Tire plugs and compressor (America's West is pretty damn big and desolate)
Beanie cap (If no helmet)
Scarf/Bandana (You can ride through a multitude of temperatures out west)
Glasses, for both night and day
Ear Plugs
Oil (some carry an extra qt, though you're never too far from someplace that sells it)
Basic tool set, including a Gerber/Leatherman Multitool
Toilet Paper (even just a small pile of it, instead of a whole roll)
Sunblock
Chapstick
Bottle of water
Leathers, if not being worn already

The list is really indefinite. Also, since you have two bikes, you can spread the load. No need for both of you to carry two times the same stuff.

Old 02-15-2012, 10:35 AM
drukanfu
Supporter
Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Take alot of short breaks. He might think your doing it for him ( even though you are ).
Be a Thoughtful Leader, he's thinking of you and the type of man he raised. Your Dad and you can handle anything, and turn any problems into adventure !
I'm really happy for you guys ! Enjoy

Old 02-15-2012, 10:41 AM
clbking
Cruiser

Its going to an excellent adventure for sure. maybe take a container for extra gasoline (they sell one for 1 gal that fits in the HD side cases), specially out West where distances between gas stations are farther than in the East.
Lots of great advise here. Enjoy this trip of a lifetime as you said!!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:04 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts

You didn't say when your trip was but remember in June and on through the summer places along the southern part of the west( Vegas, So cal., Az, NM, Tx) can be damn hot so think about that just for example last June in Phoenix it was around 114 degrees. Stay hydrated.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:22 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

some disc locks have little sirens in them- they usually go off when i am removing, but maybe they'll help or slow someone down. ( brand name Xena)

there was thread last week on locking it up while parked. some guys say leave it to insurance- that doesn't do much good day 2 of the trip of a lifetime.

if you are a HOG member call and get the $20 upgrade for unlimited tows ( to nearest dealer) the CDN package works in all of NA.
Carry the HOG guide/map, dealer locator- if not a member you can get one from a member, I have stack)
Dad may want to check the BMWMOA
if you use an iphone/ipod/ipad the free app youneedamap stores 2 gb of US maps, so you can navigate with out have internet.
mcdonalds and starbucks have free wifi most locations

I'm pretty good on Northern Arizona, Rt 66, Grand Canyon, Monument Valley etc.

pm me if you want some tips

Monument valley:

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 02-15-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 11:30 AM
Bleachey
Tourer

Zip ties. Had a friend who had to repair a shifter linkage and he had them on his bike. He claims they can repair many things to get you to the next gas station or shop.

I would also highly reccomend some sort of roadside assistance as someone else mentioned. I learned the hard way that AAA doesn't cover a motorcycle, therefore doesn't cover your trip while on the motorcycle. I switched to Allstate Motor Club, but I am sure there are several that will cover you. They not only cover tows, but provide insurance to cover extra cosrts like hotels and meals if you're trip is delayed.

Sounds like an absolutley incredible trip. My son just started riding last year and hopefully after he gets out of his teens, and I stop being the most stupid person on earth he will do something like that with me.

Old 02-15-2012, 11:32 AM
hoethree
Elite HDF Member
Received 69 Likes on 21 Posts

Sounds great! Keep telling my son back in Indiana that I aint get no younger and if he wants to ride the great southwest with me, he better get it done!

Old 02-15-2012, 11:34 AM
GREENOHAWK69
Stellar HDF Member
Received 574 Likes on 345 Posts

As someone mentioned earlier and was recommended to me - know where the dealerships are on your journey in case you do break down or need some service (e.g. oil change).

One thing I do is bring my 100 ounce Camelbak so I can stay hydrated and also bring along the energy gel paks that endurance athletes use. I use the energy gel when I do not want to stop at that location, but want a little bit to eat until I do stop.

Sounds like a great trip!

Quick Reply: Trip of my life.