Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What is the REAL deal on the 07 Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 08:38 PM
Mountainkowboy
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,010 Likes on 544 Posts
Default RE: What is the REAL deal on the 07 Transmission

I have not riden an 07, but the sound that everyone is describing is very simular to the noises that my 03 95" made IF I LUGED IT!! The big inch motors like to rev. I have a few friends with 07's with no problems.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:48 AM
ditch_dgr
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had no problems with my bike, I am not certain waht the build date was, but I picked it up 8/23/06, it was in the crate whne I bought it. the only time I get a noise from the transmission is when I am below about 2000 RPM in 4th or 5th gear, if I get above 220 it sounds fine. So, I figure I need to match engine RPM to speed and have no problems. It is flat here in SE Virginia and I have no problem cruising at 60-65 in 6th gear (about 2200 RPM).

The only thing I do not like about the bike is the heat from the rea cylinder, but I think there are ways to take care of that. This is my 5th Harley (2 Sportsers, a Dyna Superglide, and a Wide Glide before), I couldn't be happier.

I had the ECM upgrade and really haven't noticed much difference. I am glad I didn't read the forum before I bought the bike because I may not have because of the problems some people have talked about.

Old 12-18-2006, 06:29 AM
AuS MaDDoG
Cruiser

Picked up my New 07 Ultra a few weeks ago, done approximately 1000Klms and 5th gear has the whine you all talk about. But readin the posts its a mixed bag, Think I'll speak to the service department when the bikes in for its first service and see what they say and have them lodge the complaint in my service history. But for now the Bikes runnin great and love it to bits.

Cya All Out There
Ride & Have Fun.

Old 12-18-2006, 01:41 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My friend has the same bike as me,christ its the same color only made later than mine.I have rode this bike the same way I ride mine and his makes no CLATTER.Get off the lugging routine becauise this isnt the cause.You sound like one of those broads the MOCO has hired.There has been no failures yet and it probably wont be a tranny failure.It will be from your motor,most likely the lwr end,l/h side due to brg getting the **** pounded out of it.Why do you think this new SB came out?Its to releave the lwr end shock load esp in some of these sloppy builds.Comp sprocket or tension is believed to be noise but I believe its axial lwr end movement.What can the MOCO do?I think they have done all they are going to do,bandaide it with a download upgrade.Waiting till your warranty runs out so they wont have to deal w/it.If this is whats happening it may take many miles until finally failing.I would advise you noisey owners to start watching your oil filters.

Old 12-18-2006, 03:32 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

My '07 SG is a great bike, built on 10/28, and has the rocks-in-a-can noise at 2200 rpm and lower in 5th and 6th only when warmed up completely and only when under a light load (i.e., holding cruising speed). This problem is real and the Moco recognizes it, though they don't have a fix yet. The noise originates from the compensator, as the primary and many other aspects of the '07 drive train are revamped. The compensator has weaker springs than previous years, perhaps to ratchet more smoothly, and therein may lie the problem. I spoke with a tech guy at HD twice about this and he says they recognize the noise, apparently only in the touring bikes, and have duplicated it in their fleet--but there is no fix and isn't likely to be one until '09, if then. He emphasized there is no need for alarm and there is no damage being done, and based on what little I know about the compensator I believe it.

As for assertions that the noise only occurs when "lugging the engine," I disagree. Running at 2k RPM is not lugging the engine, and Harley's recommended shift point into 6th gear is 55 mph, considerably lower than 2k RPM. I ran my old Evo at 1600-1800 in high gear frequently and it ran like new at 106k miles, although I never loaded it up in that range.

As for the 1st- and 5th-gear whine, it also exists, although in my bike it is not loud or irriating. This is normal due to the spur-cut gears, and doesn't bother me in the least. I have a big-block Corvette (1966) and its Muncie M21 tranny makes much more noise than this. The rattling compensator does get on my nerves, however, and I'm hoping I will simply get used to it, as a fix does not seem forthcoming.

Old 12-18-2006, 04:40 PM
Edelmon
Cruiser

I have whining sound in 1st and clattering in 5th. 07 Ultra Classic purchased in August before it was uncrated. I was riding in the tx hill country yesterday in a tshirt (love those TX winters!). All backroads no real chance to kickit into 6th. As a test I set the cruise in 5th gear @ 60mph. On a flat road - no clattering, add some throttle to go up a grade - clatter, back off the throttle as you go down an incline - no clatter. Riding two up. I also have a ticket open with Harley concerning this. I found out you can email the folks at the factory and emailed the VP of quality. Got a callback the next day.
Other than that one issue, this is the greatest bike I have ever owned. It handles like a bike half it's size. Once I got the slipons and AC with remap I got the performance I was looking for. The recall flash just made it better.
I say buy the bike and if you get a rattlin 5th gear consider it a feature.
I've posted about the clattering problem 5- 6 times in response to others questions or feedback.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:19 PM
pittguy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Keep drinking their Koolaid and you will end up w/a noisey bike.A weak compensator will eventually fail and whether they believe so or not may also become a safety issue.And yes I heard again today from an owner that was told that nothing is going to be done to correct this.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:25 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

I picked up my Bike at the end of July and i haven't had a single Issue.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:30 PM
Nadil
Road Warrior

Iceheritage, That is one beautiful lookin' bike! I love the black with red trim.

Old 12-18-2006, 05:35 PM
IceHeritage
Road Master

Thank You,
i wanted the 07 RG so badly that i Bought the Bike before HD released the Colors for 07.

Quick Reply: What is the REAL deal on the 07 Transmission