Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

nitrogen in tires?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2006, 09:12 PM
MJR
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: nitrogen in tires?

Thanks for the heads up. I'll stick with regular air.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Tech2
Tourer

ORIGINAL: bay13

To actually run 100% in your tires is almost impossible. They would have to suck the air out, almost pull a vacuum, and when you do that you would loose the bead on your tire to the rim and all that 78% stuff would rush in. So actually getting 100% isn't happening, I'd guess you would be lucky to end up with 85% if they just deflate your tires and then add the "Special" stuff.
Exactly what I was going to post. You would have to purge all of the ambient air prior to filling the tires with 100% nitrogen, which is impossible. I think it's snake-oil and will continue to use 'regular' air.

And as for the comment that it's drier than regular air: That's true, but you must remove all traces of humidity first.

I work in defense, and all of the optical systems are charged with nitrogen. The idea is to keep the optics dry so that condensation will never form. What good is a Gunner's Primary Sight on an Abrams tank that is blinded by fogged optics? Not much.

In oder to remove any traces of moisture, the units are hooked up to a nitrogen source. Nitrogen gas is passed though until even the smallest trace of moisture is removed, which can take hours. The units are then pressurized with 3-psi of nitrogen and shipped. Having been leak tested, the unit theoretically should hold the nitrogen charge indefinitely. In reality, not so much.

Old 12-17-2006, 10:03 PM
woodeyewetzel
Tourer

The thing about using nitrogen in your tires is that it reduces wear and the tires never need checking because the pressure stays the same all the time. In the next 5 years it will be the only option at the service centers.

Old 12-17-2006, 11:46 PM
huffhuff
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

the military uses only nitrogen in struts and tires on all their aircraft. the local Chrysler plant runs all their air driven equipment on nitrogen and has eliminate many failures that moisture in compressed air can cause.

Old 12-18-2006, 12:41 AM
rdam
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 36 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm pretty sure nitrogen would void your warranty. I only use synthetic Harley Davidson air.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:27 AM
Bob
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'll run down and pay $5 a pop to get nitrogen in my tires right after I finish installing my new "Tornado" fuel saver device.

Just another example of "marketing" attempting to convince the public to pay exorbitant prices for what is normally free.

Perrier did it for water, now someone is trying to do the same thing for air.

The "large molecule, smaller molecule" argument for using nitrogen is scientifically sound.
-BUT-
When a little common sense is applied to the "nitrogen" marketing hype:

Using standard atmospheric "air" I inflate a tire to 35psi. (78% nitrogen, 22% other)
After a period of time, the tire pressure is lower (presumably caused by the smaller O2 molecules exiting through the tire casing)
The "air" still in the tire is now composed of a much higher percentage of nitrogen. (the O2 leaked out, right?)
I refill the tire to 35psi using plain old air. (78% nitrogen/22% other replacing the O2 that leaked out)
Every time that the tire pressure is checked, found to be low, and plain old 78% nitrogen air added - the % nitrogen in the tire continues to rise.
At some point, the nitrogen % in a "maintained" tire will meet or exceed the nitrogen % of a $5 nitrogen fill.

The use of nitrogen in racing and aviation tire applications is not new, and is done for very specific reasons.

IMHO using nitrogen in tires on everyday use motor vehicles is nothing more than a way of getting you to pay for something that is otherwise free.

Old 12-18-2006, 09:42 AM
lenrough
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: rdam

I'm pretty sure nitrogen would void your warranty. I only use synthetic Harley Davidson air.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 12-18-2006, 11:12 AM
21Yankee
Cruiser

I run the nitrogen in my car tires, and like it due to the fact that it does keep a more constant pressure. Costco put it in for free, I've thought about putting it in the bike.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:03 PM
Woodchuck
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It seems like it would be beneficial to use nitrongen in the the air shocks. The small volume would be easy to make close to 100% nitrogen by feeding and bleeding a number of times before leaving it at the desired pressure. Dry gas, bigger molecules - good for the shock internals and the pressure would stay at the desired setpoint longer. A small loss is more significant in a small, low pressure volume.
But, where do you get a low pressure source and could ya still call it AIR suspension?

Old 12-18-2006, 02:09 PM
nine11c2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 26 Posts

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

also forgot that you get a stiffer sidewall that enhances cornering. had it done to one of my cars 2004 GP and the difference in handling is evident.
You're tellin me you can tell the handling difference between regular air (at least 78% nitrogen) and 100% nitrogen in the tires of your 2004 GP?

I think Cosco giving it to you for free is very nice. It don't hurt, but that's about what the fill is worth. See the post above about how you actually wind up with more Nitrogen than 78% in your car tires anyway...

Quick Reply: nitrogen in tires?