Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How many of you are still doing pipes and filtser (stage 1)?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 02:04 PM
cdemarse
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got done with the stage 1 on my 12 ultra. Worth the money. Keep an eye on the classifieds.

I went with.

Vance and Hines VO2 naked. $112 from directharleyparts.com

V&H dresser duals. $351 from directharleyparts.com

And found a used set of V&H 4" twin slash rounds on the forums here for $125 shipped!!!

I also added nightriders Vied to richen it up a little bit. think that was about $119.

So without the Vied I did my stage 1 for under $600 and it really wakes the bike up. Go for it.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:21 AM
BFERG
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm leaving mine stock for now. It seems to have plenty of power as is. Then again, with 402 miles on the odometer since 12/15, it's a bit early to tell. I'm trying to drop less cash into the new ride than I did on my '02 FXD that I traded in. Time will tell.

Old 02-13-2012, 07:46 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

I had the 96" in my Road King with a stage 1 setup. When I got my 103", I was sooooo disappointed in the performance, that 96" ran much better with the mods. I went straight for the change again, plus this time I added the cam, very, very happy now. But then again, it depends on what you are looking for, I spend my money on a combination of performance, personal comforts and some frivilous stuff just for me. If you don't care about any particular one of these, you're right, save the money and use it for something else. For instance, lots of guys change pipes because they want to be heard, because it sounds cool. I would opt for a quieter pipe if I got more power, but that's just me. It's your bike and your investment, choose wisely and make yourself happy, no matter what you do to it you have to please yourself.

Old 02-13-2012, 08:50 AM
Nut08Ultra
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PWFD
"...I guess the question is, how many of you are leaving your cycles stock when you may have always done a stage 1 due to all of these changes?..."

I have done it to every bike I owned and most likely always will. The stock air and pipes are restrictive and could come from any bike factory with this done, but don't because this is probably one of the most lucrative mods for companies so why should they change.

Even with the Ultra I just got, I could let it go, but knowing I'm missing that extra umph I know it has... I want it. Besides... whats a few hundred bucks more when comparing it to the overall cost of touring bikes. When comparing it to some of the chrome do-dads I see for sale, this is most product for the buck too IMO...style, sound and performance change in one cost.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member
Received 219 Likes on 167 Posts

I gutted the cat at 300 miles......slapped a KN filter in place of the stock in the same airbox, installed a VIED awhile back and at 4k put FM Jackpots on thats all Im doing. The bike runs like a scalded dog out of the crate...and Ive never been one to run with the pack so Ill be keeping my grand. But hell dont let me stop ya, i will happily listen to you lament about what you spent, about the latest download over a beer!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:04 AM
teedubya
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

I did stage 1 right out of the box. V&H power duals, V&H monster ovals, SE high flow breather element and a PC 5 power commander. Suits me!! Never had the high heat on the legs that I experienced with the 2010 Ultra that I traded. The noise isn't obnoxious either. I can ride all day on the super slab at highway speeds and not feel as if someone is slapping my ears around. Even around town these pipes are well behaved.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:34 AM
panheadache
Road Master
Received 827 Likes on 393 Posts

i cant believe i'm saying this: my '11 classic runs fine from the factory and i'm leaving it alone....

[those who know me are probably choking and fainting from hearing that - especially after what i've gone through with the last 2 bikes i bought - that '07 was a freaking rolling turd disaster]

Old 02-13-2012, 10:41 AM
Manninagh
Road Captain
Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

2010 Street Glide (96TC) - rode it for 18 months, then had stage 1 done (V&H Monster Oval slip ons, SE air cleaner, tuned accordingly). Could not believe how much better the bike was: cooler running, smoother on the throttle, less chugging at slow speeds in traffic, better throttle reponse at all speeds. Sounds better too.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:04 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 668 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by panheadache
i cant believe i'm saying this: my '11 classic runs fine from the factory and i'm leaving it alone....
My '08 Ultra is completely stock and I like it just fine. The nominal performance gains from a stage I just aren't worth the money.

Old 02-13-2012, 11:26 AM
one-up
Road Warrior
Received 28 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by panheadache

[those who know me are probably choking and fainting from hearing that - especially after what i've gone through with the last 2 bikes i bought - that '07 was a freaking rolling turd disaster]
I'm with Panheadache. I ain't spendin' the money for a marginal improvement. If I were to put cams in it, then I would do a full Stage One. My 96'' will haul my butt anywhere I want to go very well, including the mountains. I'll spend my money on appearance and comfort items.

Quick Reply: How many of you are still doing pipes and filtser (stage 1)?