Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Black Denim Sheen/Shine?????

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 05:58 AM
02RKC
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Black Denim Sheen/Shine?????

Morning all, I was looking at 2012 Black Denim bikes at a dealer a couple of days ago... I'm all set to go and buy a 2012 SG Black Denim, all the bikes in the dealership had a sheen/shine on them that I'd never noticed before. I'm not a big fan of the look, I really want the Black Denim, is this something they did trying to make them look pretty or is this something new for the 2012 Black Denim???? This was on every Black Denim bike on the floor, not just the touring bikes. Thanks in advance.

Doug

Old 02-12-2012, 06:01 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

Interesting, I wonder if they dusted them with pledge. I have a 2010, there is no shine on it. The newer black denim I have seen are like mine.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:08 AM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

they probably used some harley gloss on them. while it sounds counterintuitive, hd actually recommends harley gloss on the denim finishes. if you use windex or harley denim paint cleaner, it tends to streak a little, the harley gloss 'evens' it out. it does give it a little bit of a shine, but still retains that showroom look.

i think you'll find that if you go to a bunch of showrooms, all the new denim bikes will have that 'shine'. after they've been out for a while, if you don't use the h gloss, they will go more 'flat'.

Old 02-12-2012, 10:21 AM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I'm sure a few washings with dawn and the shine will be gone

Old 02-12-2012, 10:54 AM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I have a 12 SG and it did not have a shine when i bought it, but I have heard about the HD polish.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:13 AM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

My 09 FLHT Denim Black did not have a shine on it when I bought it. The service manual says to wipe it down with windex or HD Denim cleaner, the parts manager at my local dealer told me not to use the HD gloss on it, he said that if you continue to use the gloss polish it will turn the paint to where it looks like vivid black, he said that they use a dulling agent in the clear coat to give it the semi-flat look and gloss polish will smooth out the clear coat and make it shiney, I don't know this for sure, just going by what the parts manager told me. I have noticed that under the nose of the seat where it rubs the tank, it is very shiney and smooth in that spot.

Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,334 Likes on 2,526 Posts

i've been using harley gloss on my bike for over 2 years. it does not make it super glossy like the vivid black. the windex and denim paint cleaner leave a streaky film, and the hg evens it out. yes, it gives it a little shine, but not any more than it had on the showroom floor. it is recommended in your owners manual.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:26 PM
hougz79
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It never ceases to amaze me some of the things some HD dealers say....

Old 02-12-2012, 06:13 PM
pswomack
Road Master
Received 130 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by skratch
i've been using harley gloss on my bike for over 2 years. it does not make it super glossy like the vivid black. the windex and denim paint cleaner leave a streaky film, and the hg evens it out. yes, it gives it a little shine, but not any more than it had on the showroom floor. it is recommended in your owners manual.
And to think I've got 2 cans of the HD Gloss in the garage that I've only been using on my chrome!....Thanks Skratch, glad you cleared that up that it won't hurt the Denim paint, and you are right, it is in the manual, just didn't see it before. Guess the parts manager just wanted to sell me the Denim cleaner because it takes more to get rid of the streaking, and windex is just as bad if not worse!!

Old 02-12-2012, 06:50 PM
mikebaby
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My buddies denim black now has gloss black parts of the tank sides from his jeans rubbing against it while riding. There is no way to match the factory paint either. Needless to say, he's pretty bent.

mikebaby

Quick Reply: Black Denim Sheen/Shine?????