Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CVO Lower Fairing Speakers

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 08:51 PM
dc1057
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default CVO Lower Fairing Speakers

Hi all

I have been thinking of doing this upgrade but can't seem to find out info on the stock 1 ohm speaker installation? Does it have an amp? Is there a special harness to use the rear speaker pin out?

I know the dealer has to turn on the fader, but is anything else needed?

Couldn't find this info. Only info using aftermarket 2 or 4 ohm speakers.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Old 02-11-2012, 09:03 PM
bdp
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need to hook up with Harleypingman and check out this thread

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...ed-w-pics.html

Old 02-11-2012, 11:16 PM
mjb765
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an '11 CVO streetglide....yes they are 1 ohm and use an amp in the fairing. Not sure how they did it on the '12's with the saddlebag speakers. I'm guessing the fader fades to the fairing and lowers one way and the saddlebag speakers in the other direction. My radio has the fader control activated, but only fades to the front 4 speakers since I have none in the rear.

Old 02-12-2012, 09:40 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

The 2011 CVO SG uses an in-fairing amp as mentioned by mjb765. The amp takes the signal from the fairing speakers pin-outs of the HK radio and splits it to drive the fairing, fairing lower, and tweeter speakers--no fader, and the rear speaker pin-outs of the HK radio aren't used. The OEM in-fairing amp has been problematical; go to cvoharley.com and you can read many threads on the OEM amp failing.

These are the installation instructions for the Custom Touring audio accessory from HD (~$1900) that replicates the 2012 CVO SG audio system (which is a 1 ohm system using 2 of the small amps; the second is mounted in the left saddlebag):

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05408.pdf

You can check-out the service parts list to figure out which parts are used for the front fairing and fairing lower speakers, etc.

Good luck with your research and choices.

Carl

Old 02-12-2012, 12:55 PM
dc1057
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Harleypingman thanks for the info. I started reading your thread when it first came out. Great info.

I didn't want to go with an amp. I figured the fader would be enough (I have quiet pipes and don't crank up the tunes).

I have the parts list you provided but I didn't know if I could get a harness that would be plug and play (from HD) to the lowers harness using the rear pin outs.

The infinity speakers get great reviews but I was afraid that the wouldn't last because they're not weatherproof. I suppose for the cost ($55.00 for the 6032cf) I could just replace as needed?

Thanks
DC

Old 02-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

My Infinity speakers have gotten plenty wet many times w/o any ill-effects.

I doubt, but can't speak from personal experience, that adding the speakers in the fairing lowers w/o an amp is worth doing.

The rear speaker pin-outs are easily accesible:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...head-unit.html

Requiring, or waiting for, a plug and play harness is over-rated IMO--the wiring just isn't that difficult for a non-tech, non-audio professional such as myself--if you can get the outer fairing off, the wiring isn't any more difficult.

If you are reluctant to DIY w/o an HD kit, strongly consider the Hogtunes 7" kit; HT makes excellent products and provides all that you'll need. And you won't have to concern yourself with having the CVO speaker boxes/housings painted to match your bike; ditto the J&M 7.25" kit.

Good luck with your project.

Carl

Old 02-12-2012, 04:13 PM
2manytoys
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Subscribe

Old 12-04-2012, 01:03 PM
Arizaino
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question PBR300x2 ??

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
The 2011 CVO SG uses an in-fairing amp as mentioned by mjb765. The amp takes the signal from the fairing speakers pin-outs of the HK radio and splits it to drive the fairing, fairing lower, and tweeter speakers--no fader, and the rear speaker pin-outs of the HK radio aren't used. The OEM in-fairing amp has been problematical; go to cvoharley.com and you can read many threads on the OEM amp failing.

These are the installation instructions for the Custom Touring audio accessory from HD (~$1900) that replicates the 2012 CVO SG audio system (which is a 1 ohm system using 2 of the small amps; the second is mounted in the left saddlebag):

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ts/-J05408.pdf

You can check-out the service parts list to figure out which parts are used for the front fairing and fairing lower speakers, etc.

Good luck with your research and choices.

Carl
Hello....I have a set of the 1 ohm SE speakers along with a RF PBR300x2 amp. Will this amp push the 1 ohn speakers okay?? Or, will I need to change to 2 ohm speakers. Not sure if 1 ohm will make that much of a difference. Thanks for your help )

Old 12-04-2012, 07:27 PM
rockajet1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default wiring harness install

Originally Posted by Harleypingman
My Infinity speakers have gotten plenty wet many times w/o any ill-effects.

I doubt, but can't speak from personal experience, that adding the speakers in the fairing lowers w/o an amp is worth doing.

The rear speaker pin-outs are easily accesible:

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...head-unit.html

Requiring, or waiting for, a plug and play harness is over-rated IMO--the wiring just isn't that difficult for a non-tech, non-audio professional such as myself--if you can get the outer fairing off, the wiring isn't any more difficult.

If you are reluctant to DIY w/o an HD kit, strongly consider the Hogtunes 7" kit; HT makes excellent products and provides all that you'll need. And you won't have to concern yourself with having the CVO speaker boxes/housings painted to match your bike; ditto the J&M 7.25" kit.

Good luck with your project.

Carl
Carl, your post regarding this subject are unbelievably informative and detailed, but I have a question. I've read the thread so many times my eyes are crossed. I must be missing something. Just where does the wiring harness (part # 690003 w/ the sockets installed to access pins 1,2,24 and 25) attach? Does it go in between the radio and existing harness? Or does one remove all of the sockets from the existing connector plug and install them in the new connector plug with the 4 new sockets. Thanks again for your insight.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:19 AM
rg567
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Arizaino
Hello....I have a set of the 1 ohm SE speakers along with a RF PBR300x2 amp. Will this amp push the 1 ohn speakers okay?? Or, will I need to change to 2 ohm speakers. Not sure if 1 ohm will make that much of a difference. Thanks for your help )
The majority of amps, at least ones that will fit under the fairing, will have a hard time pushing 1ohm unless you wire them in series. I went with aftermarket speakers as I'm sure many others did...

Quick Reply: CVO Lower Fairing Speakers