Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

FuelMoto Ceramic Header 8-10 Week Wait

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 07:08 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by casique
Just got an email from FuelMoto stating that there is an 8-10 week wait for the ceramic coated headers. So I'm thinking about getting the plain stainles instead (2-3 week wait).
If you can get the SS made and shipped in 2-3 weeks, why does it take another 5-7 weeks to coat it? Did they say? I'm curious, I was wanting/looking at the same thing. (Coated) I just haven't got as far as to inquiring FM about it.

Old 02-11-2012, 07:44 PM
HdKing98
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am on the wait-list for the ceramic coated headers from Fuel Moto. I was informed that it would be no more than ten weeks to receive them. My thinking is that since I am going to be riding this bike for many years, I wanted to do things right the first time around.

So while waiting, I will install the 4 inch Rinehart slipons, add the Stage 1 AC, use the Power Vision to tune it to this spec, then reprogram to add the ceramic headers once they arrive. Jamie preprogrammed these two programs because he was aware of the ceramic headers being delayed.

I wanted the ceramic headers for the decreased heat option that I have researched in this forum and other sites on the web. It sounded like the best option for me.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Fat Mike
why does it take another 5-7 weeks to coat it?
May be because of a "lot" charge or issues with the vendor.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:44 PM
casique
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

FM did not say why so long, but must not be good for business! As you can see a lot of folks are taking alternate routes because they don't want to wait... That is money lost!

Old 02-11-2012, 09:51 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

FM pipes are painstakingly hand assembled and TIG welded in house (if you're not familiar with the TIG welding process it is rather slow), and then sent out to HTC for coating, which I believe is in Canada. You got to think winter is downtime for riding but the best time to work on stuff, HTC does all kinds of exhausts and I imagine the winter is their busiest time. Two different companies shipping back and forth, and coordinating scheduling to bring you the best in quality, workmanship, and materials, 10 wks is nothing. You can always buy a different system from one of the discount parts conglomerates, but they won't tell you the're backordered until after they take your payment, at least FM is telling you up front. Sometimes when you want the good stuff you got to wait a little while.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 PM
havaglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
FM pipes are painstakingly hand assembled and TIG welded in house (if you're not familiar with the TIG welding process it is rather slow), and then sent out to HTC for coating, which I believe is in Canada. You got to think winter is downtime for riding but the best time to work on stuff, HTC does all kinds of exhausts and I imagine the winter is their busiest time. Two different companies shipping back and forth, and coordinating scheduling to bring you the best in quality, workmanship, and materials, 10 wks is nothing. You can always buy a different system from one of the discount parts conglomerates, but they won't tell you the're backordered until after they take your payment, at least FM is telling you up front. Sometimes when you want the good stuff you got to wait a little while.
10wks? If thats the backorder wait time that is rediculous.No matter quality,and there are other same as or better quality pipes out there ready to be shipped.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:12 PM
Fat Mike
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The pipes must be good to back up two company's. I can wait. It's not like its a big ordeal to put them on the bike. They fit just as good in the summer as they will in the winter.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:29 PM
fabrik8r
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by havaglide
10wks? If thats the backorder wait time that is rediculous.No matter quality,and there are other same as or better quality pipes out there ready to be shipped.
Please post a link to that "better quality pipe".

Old 02-11-2012, 10:38 PM
havaglide
Advanced

Originally Posted by fabrik8r
Please post a link to that "better quality pipe".
Fullsack would be a start,called they were in stock i drove over and had it in my hands within 30mins. Installed with cams,Fullsack recored exhaust,tuner and af.Picked up and easy 20hp & 20 Ftlbs of torque.
98hp & 108ftlbs of torque.
Not saying Fuel Moto is a bad Id imagine the results would nearly the same but a 10wk wait is absolutely ridiculous if that is the true wait time.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:52 PM
skratch
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,355 Likes on 2,534 Posts

8-10 weeks backup is pretty much common knowledge with the fm coated header. so if that's the route you want to take, order early, then when it gets there, it gets there. they will not charge your credit card until your order is ready to ship so it isn't like they're using your money for all kinds of stuff while you're waiting on your pipes.

i know it's hard in this 'instant gratification' world we live in, but patience is still a virtue.

Quick Reply: FuelMoto Ceramic Header 8-10 Week Wait