Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What are these fasteners called?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 06:43 PM
Cigarmessenger
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these fasteners called?

I want to get a small set of tools to do cosmetic stuff on my Road King. The fasteners all have recesses in them for allen head wrenches. Is that what they are called or are they hex head, torx? I'm not going to do any serious wrenching, Can I get a set of these tools at maybe Harbor Freight. What sizes would be best to have? Thanks for your imput

Old 02-10-2012, 06:45 PM
piesik650
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

torx and Hex"Allen" sockets and keys are a must. make sure when you get a torx set there is a T27 or you will be sorry

Old 02-10-2012, 06:47 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 45 Posts

Bike has both. Get yourself a set of SAE Allen wrenches and a set of TORX...they usually come as a socket...or your can get them in the L shape similar to an Allen wrench. You can also get Allens and Torx bits with T-handles.

Old 02-10-2012, 06:54 PM
Sath
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by piesik650
torx and Hex"Allen" sockets and keys are a must. make sure when you get a torx set there is a T27 or you will be sorry

Lol True, I had what I thought was a set of Torx wrenches, I found out later my kit did not include a T27. A T25 is just enought to tease you into thinking you have the right wrench but dont do it!!

Old 02-10-2012, 06:59 PM
cezariomaia
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cigarmessenger
I want to get a small set of tools to do cosmetic stuff on my Road King. The fasteners all have recesses in them for allen head wrenches. Is that what they are called or are they hex head, torx? I'm not going to do any serious wrenching, Can I get a set of these tools at maybe Harbor Freight. What sizes would be best to have? Thanks for your imput
These are allen wrenchs: http://www.google.com.br/search?q=al...w=1536&bih=770

and these are Torx wrenchs: http://www.google.com.br/search?q=to...w=1536&bih=770
Pay close attention to the tips of each type

Old 02-10-2012, 08:18 PM
1st 96 ultra
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

need to get a good set , like maybe craftsman or the like , I had a HF set and broke a bit off in a master cyl clamp , tip was still in there when I got rid of the bike , was lucky I did not have any problems , you could just get the few sizes you need instead of a full set

Old 02-10-2012, 09:53 PM
pargenz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A good set of torx and allens are a must

Old 02-10-2012, 10:59 PM
fxdxruss
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Specialty tool

Don't go cheap they do not hold up. Snap on , Matco are good products. Buy only the sizes you need if you are going to pack them w/u. Sears in my opinion has gone way down in quality.

Russ

Old 02-11-2012, 12:20 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 396 Likes on 338 Posts

Sears Craftsman has really fallen in quality--- they wonder why Dudes don't come into the store to buy appliances anymore...great quality tools drive the traffic, Mr. Sears

Still the Craftsman will be better quality then most. Matco, Mac and Snap On are professional level tools- sometimes found at a bargain in pawn shops ( although marked at 120% of msrp...that's up to you).

Some of us swap allen heads for some of the torx to reduce the quantity of tools carried when on the road.

the H-D tool set roll-up that comes with some models is adequate for occasional use. NY2AZ has an ad for a set on the classifieds.

mike

Mike

Old 02-11-2012, 12:43 AM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you are going to be keeping in your saddlebags or on the bike, I HIGHLY recommend buying coated ones. The raw ones always end up rusting and if you don't notice it for while they end up screwing other stuff in your bags. I also recommend ball end wrenches as well. I am a machinist, so I use allens on a daily basis, and the best economical coated ones I've found is the Bondhus Gorilla Proof sets. You can buy them in either std or metric but the best price is for the set of both. They are as tough as hell and are as good as Snap On and Mac but are cheaper.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Bondhus-2039...item589233e81f

Quick Reply: What are these fasteners called?