Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Audio Options-Bluetooth VS Boom?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 03:23 PM
fzggm4
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Road King Audio Options-Bluetooth VS Boom?

We have plans to do some doing some nice long trips this summer and we would like to add some audio for the rides. I want to keep my stock RK windshield on so adding some kind of batwing with a stereo unit is not an option. I was looking at the Harley Boom windshield mount and have seen some good reviews here but I have also been looking at some Bluetooth helmet sets like Scala G4 and the Sena SMH10. I like the idea of the intercom system (yes, I do enjoy talking to my wife), and I can connect to my Iphone for GPS, but I want the best audio sound for the tunes. Anybody have any experience with the helmet sets?

Old 02-10-2012, 04:59 PM
Sailrider 1
Road Warrior
Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I had the Boom Audio on my Road King for a week. The handle mounted speakers vibrated through my handlebars so bad I couldn't stand it. I took it off after a week. I thought about trying the shield mounted speaker but decided against it. I like the uncluttered aspect of the Road King and thought the shield mounted speakers just looked out of place. the handlebar mounted speakers were the same way.

I have the Scala rider headsets also. They are great for communicating with your passenger or bike to bike. The helmet speakers however are so tinny that do to sound good at all for music. perfect for communication but not for music. I gave up on audio for my Road King and now just use an iPod on a long trip if I want music.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:36 PM
The Cheesehead
Road Master
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I have the boom audio and love it. The chrome look does not look out of place, but may take a bit of getting used to. I can hear the music great at 70+ MPH...So can my wife. NO issues with the speakers vibrating or moving on the handlebars...I've never heard of that. Admittedly, I have no experience with Bluetooth, I like to hear my bike and the road and many have said that you lose that sense with the Bluetooth.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:06 AM
bob5800
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had the Boom windshield mount for a year, as others have said the sound is great. Don't wear a helmet very often but I've tried the headsets and the sound quality is not very good and makes me feel disconnected from the bike IMHO.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:59 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have the same thing as bob above and am very pleased with the unit.