Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Parking Challenge/Bike Lift

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012 | 02:47 PM
rtmichael
|
Advanced
Default Parking Challenge/Bike Lift

I'm considering buying a cabin in the Prescott, AZ area. I found something I like built on the side of a hill with a steep drive up to a level covered parking area about the size of two cars. I think I could maneuver the bike around (if there's no other car in the parking area) so that I could ride down the driveway. It would be difficult to back the bike down the steep drive.

Now my question:
Would a lift allow me to ride the bike up the drive, lift it and spin it around so it was facing down the drive (kinda like the Bat Cave!). Are the inexpensive Harbor Freight lifts sturdy/stable enough to do this? Any other ideas would be appreciated. The cabin is very cool but if I can't keep the bike there it's useless.

Old 02-10-2012 | 02:56 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer

If the concrete surface is smooth it would be no problem. I have the hf lift and I wheel mine all over the garage with the bike on it.

Old 02-10-2012 | 02:57 PM
X Iron Butt
Road Master

Here is a cheap dolly. Won't give you lift. I havent seen a HF lift that can roll with the bike on it. Most of the high end high dollor lifts can.
http://www.harborfreight.com/low-pro...lly-95896.html

Old 02-10-2012 | 03:34 PM
JAKE 2544
Road Captain

Check out the cycle spinner for sale in the touring classified section. It's not a lift,but may work for you.

Old 02-10-2012 | 03:56 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Do yourself a favor and get yourself a quality jack. That way you will have it when you need it for maintenance, plus it will be very sturdy when you are spinning your bike around. Some of the cheaper models will "work", but they flex and allow your front and rear to "rock". You don't want to be trusting your $20K+ bike (or your safety) to a dollar two 98 cheap *** jack. (or lift as some call them).

Old 02-10-2012 | 04:15 PM
tj316
Stellar HDF Member

my friend does this exact thing with his J & S lift , drives into his garage , lifts the bike , spins it around so when he leaves he can just drive out

Old 02-10-2012 | 04:31 PM
jfarrar30
Tourer

I have the table lift. are you refferring to a jack? Not familiar with those but my table has 4 wheels and steers in the front. They are smal though so if there are any large cracks in the concrete it not gonna roll

Old 02-10-2012 | 04:56 PM
mglax13
Road Master

Like the jack snobs said, all those jacks like the J&S and whatever else work, but that terrible POS from Harbor Freight that shouldn't even be allowed to lift my Schwinn tricycle works good too, provided your floor isn't too rough, but then I'm not sure any jack will work on a really rough floor, no matter how expensive it is.

Old 02-10-2012 | 05:43 PM
rtmichael
|
Advanced

Thanks! That J&S big wheel jack looks like the ticket for what I need to do. I really like the "spinner" but the jack has multiple uses and takes up less room.

Thanks for the input. This forum is a great resource full of knowledgeable helpful people.

Old 02-10-2012 | 06:54 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain

Unless I'm just not real coordinated, don't think that the j&s can just spin around freely. It can take a little effort and if you're in a tight space it could be tricky. Two of the wheels rotate but the other two are in a fixed position. Yes, it maneuvers extremely well but doesn't just spin on the spot.

Quick Reply: Parking Challenge/Bike Lift