Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Heated Grip Slides Off

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 09:18 AM
sailnbike
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heated Grip Slides Off

I have been pleased with the heating performance of the grips on my 2009 Glide but the throttle side outer part slides off. Harley put silicone caulking between the inner and outer layers of the grip and it does not bond the two together. See picture. I called HD and they would not warranty. This is obviously a safety issue and I see that others have had the same problem. I am going to file a case with NHTSA as I guess that is what it takes to get HD to rectify a design issue. I would buy an aftermarket brand next time.

Attached Thumbnails Heated Grip Slides Off-img_0318r2final.jpg  
Old 02-10-2012, 09:21 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Did you call your HD dealer, or HD Corporate?? I'd elevate this issue to corporate-level w/your pics it's pretty much solid IRT poor design/construction...good luck!

Old 02-10-2012, 01:28 PM
PghCycle24
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

We have had this problem on a lot of our '08 Electraglide Police models. The HD grips are poor quality, and we had far better results with the aftermarket units that were installed on the fleet of Raod Kings we had in '05. We still have 4 of the '05's as extra bikes in the fleet, and the aftermarket heated grips are still going strong on all of them. Don't waste your money on HD grips!

Old 02-10-2012, 02:55 PM
cherry bomb
Advanced

same thing happened to me last fall.

Old 02-10-2012, 04:15 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

Why can't you just epoxy or jbweld it back in place? Seems like that would fix your problem better than any dealer could. That is what I would do..

Old 02-10-2012, 04:22 PM
Paniolo
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by PghCycle24
We have had this problem on a lot of our '08 Electraglide Police models. The HD grips are poor quality, and we had far better results with the aftermarket units that were installed on the fleet of Raod Kings we had in '05. We still have 4 of the '05's as extra bikes in the fleet, and the aftermarket heated grips are still going strong on all of them. Don't waste your money on HD grips!
What aftermarket heated grips did you end up going with on the service bikes?

Old 02-10-2012, 05:06 PM
rleggs
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem with mine while still under warranty and the grip finally gave up from twisting (slipping) on the sleeve and pulling the heat strip wires apart. Dealer just replaced the one grip, but it ws free. No problem after over a year with the replacement. You may want to try some high temp contact glue if you can't get the dealer to come through, I used it on my 04 set and had no issues after that.

Old 02-10-2012, 05:14 PM
oasis03
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley heated grips are a 200.00 joke. Mine did the same thing and i very carefully removed the rubber and cleaned the glue off and used epoxy and put them back on. I then took some shrink tube and put over the grip.and heated to shrink . No more problem and the grip does not feel sticky any more.

Old 02-12-2012, 03:51 PM
sailnbike
Advanced
Default Defective Design and Material Specifying

I sent the picture to HD customer no service and they just hung their hats on the 90 day parts warranty and tried to pass the buck back to the dealer who of course had said that he could not do anything about it. The fact that many others have had the same problem made no impact with them either.
The engineers at HD amaze me at times with their lack of skill but they get away with it.
I will try to get some adhesive into the grip. Any ideas what to use?
Thanks for your input.

Old 02-12-2012, 08:22 PM
Punjabi Rider
Grand HDF Member
Received 245 Likes on 194 Posts

It's fairly common on most TBW bikes we had that problem once it was warrantied out 2nd time JB weld no issues.

Quick Reply: Heated Grip Slides Off