Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

So is it new BATTERY time for me

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2012, 10:04 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,535 Likes on 930 Posts

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Damn what a pain in the Obama.
Glad you got it for the right price even though you had to go through all that.
I'm at home now and checking the site it shows up as $89.99 for me. Now everytime I order sometghing through Advance I'm going to wonder if I'm actually getting the lowest price on their stuff.
If you need a battery read this!

I think I have it figured out. I think there is a new Magna ETX20L that has 310 CCA. The $89 batteries have 270 CCA with the same stock #. The one I received has 310 on the battery plus I got it for 89 minus the coupon. Do a google search for Magna ETX20L & they are listed at 270 CCA. Very confusing but I think we got lucky with a newer Extreme ETX20L at 310CCA for the old price.

Check this one, it's the old 270cca http://www.batterywarehouseco.com/ca...oducts_id=1853

I got the MagnaPower EXTREME ETX20L from Advance.

EDIT: My box has EXTREME on it. It is a new battery and probably sells for 109.00. Advance Auto probably doesn't realize it yet. If anyone needs a battery order it online with the coupon & pick it up at the store. Make sure it says extreme on the box & 310cca on the battery. Great deal while it last..65 out the door, 59 with core. If it's the old 270cca cancel the order.

89 at time of posting & listed at 310cca. http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_12-Volt-Sealed-AGM-Premium-Batteries-for-Power-Sports-Applications-MagnaPower_16940007-P_40_A|GRP60054____

Here is the one I got but it's the ETX30L. My ETX20L has this label...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_12-Volt-Sealed-AGM-Premium-Batteries-for-Power-Sports-Applications-MagnaPower_16940019-P_40_A|GRP60054_____

BTW, it's a perfect match for stock. It's already in the Heritage.

Last edited by golfblues; 02-15-2012 at 10:36 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:50 AM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Yea if you read the customer Q&A on the ETX20L on Advance Auto site someone asked
has the cca specs been changed , last week the cca was 270 ? now i see spec is 310 cca . which is correct, thank you.
Asked on 1/24/2012 by mastertech from loudon,tn.
And the answer was
Sorry for any confusion. The exact CCA for this MagnaPower 12-Volt Sealed AGM Premium Batteries for Power Sports Applications (Part No. ETX20L) is 270 CCA only.
Answered on 1/25/2012 by John the Car-Doc from AAP
The Magna Power Extreme ETX20L I bought from them the other day is 310cca just like yours.

Old 02-16-2012, 07:52 AM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by PigInaBlanket
Yea if you read the customer Q&A on the ETX20L on Advance Auto site someone asked

And the answer was

The Magna Power Extreme ETX20L I bought from them the other day is 310cca just like yours.

I saw that too. I think we got lucky

Old 02-16-2012, 01:21 PM
Yojimbo
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Received the 'Extreme Magna Power' ETX30L this morning and put it on the charger even though it says, 'Ready to Install!' It's still charging but will be on the bike as soon as the tender light stays green. Thanks again for the heads-up. Saved about 50%.

So I used some of the 'saved' money and paid for a membership to help support the forum.

Last edited by Yojimbo; 02-16-2012 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 05:37 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Update, just put the new one in and it spins over just like new again, i guess the moral of the story is have the battery tested properly, i was told by two place's that the old one was good to go, WRONG!!!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:31 PM
golfblues
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by hockey8787
Update, just put the new one in and it spins over just like new again, i guess the moral of the story is have the battery tested properly, i was told by two place's that the old one was good to go, WRONG!!!
I took my original 06 HD battery that I thought was getting a little weak to Advance Auto for a load test. They told me it was fine & had 385 cca'ss. Its
a 6 year old Softail battery that I think is rated at 270 cca. I asked if he put a load on it & he said I don't know how to use this tester. OK, see ya!

Old 02-17-2012, 06:33 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member

I must have talked to the same dude LOL

Old 02-17-2012, 07:29 PM
captainjack
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

http://www.batterymart.com/p--Big-Cr...eader-ETX__30L
97.00 free shipping 400CCA fast delivery, installed mine today. thanks for the heads up guys

Old 02-17-2012, 07:40 PM
hockey8787
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by captainjack
http://www.batterymart.com/p--Big-Cr...eader-ETX__30L
97.00 free shipping 400CCA fast delivery, installed mine today. thanks for the heads up guys
Did you get the 10% off for signing up??

Old 02-17-2012, 08:12 PM
vhmike73
Road Captain

Received 48 Likes on 41 Posts

I am debating buying a new battery myself. Last weekend, after a few weeks in my unheated garage and with my tender being disconnected (gotta love it when your brother thinks he's helping!), I went to start the bike and had less than nothing- zero charge, not even starter engagement, which of course then triggered the alarm system and basically drove me nuts. The worst part was that nothing would silence the damn siren; I'd replaced the batteries in the fob when this happened in October, and yet having BOTH fobs there wouldn't shut it off. Anyway, after putting my analog meter on the battery, I was getting about 10 volts. I put a regular car-charger on the battery and it finally got to about 12 volts, put it back in the bike, and fired it up (took a couple tries- first attempt I got the starter chatter then nothing). I had the bike running for about half an hour (pulled out into the alley to get it moving) or so, and the voltmeter read 14 volts the whole time. Once I finished, I reconnected the tender, and didn't have any issue today when I was getting ready to get the recall work done. This was the second time (and I picked up the bike last March) that this same "deader than dead" battery situation occurred. Both times the bike was not on a battery tender and I had a Sony DSX-S200X with the XM add-on module in the bike.

I had it on the tender for about a week until today, when I brought the bike up to the dealer for the brake switch recall. I also had them test the battery/charging system, and the tech told me I had 12.5 volts on the battery and the charging system was putting out 14.3 volts. They checked all grounds they could find and everything was good to go.

The only changes that I'd made electrically was adding the HD Smart Siren and swapping in the Sony deck/XM add-on combo...I swapped the HK back in hoping that something with the Sony was causing too high a parasitic draw (the guys at Biketronics mentioned that the XM add-on module has a draw to maintain a fix on satellites).

So in a roundabout way, should I believe the dealer that the battery is fine? And does it sound reasonable that the Sony/XM combo caused that strong a parasitic draw that it killed the battery in about a month?

Quick Reply: So is it new BATTERY time for me