Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woods 555 or Andrews 26?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 05:54 PM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,312 Likes on 22,630 Posts

Feulings for me..
They build tons of motorcycle stuff, just don't happen to sponsor this forum..
Easier on the valve train, don't need a bump in compression
and pull from 1800-5900 w/no flat spots..
About right for a 96" for me anyway, which is what I was looking for.

Old 12-04-2012, 07:35 PM
willeb3
3rd Gear
Location: On the edge of the country--there are no roads that lead west
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi all,

My cam tensioner upgrade has turned into a full circus. I picked up the SE cam plate upgrade kit and I figured as long as I was at it I'd put in new lifters (Feuling) and SE adjustable tapered pushrods as I'm not pulling the heads now. My 04 Road King Custom has the stage one kit, Bassani true duals, K&N filter and fuel injection (FLHRSI). Everything else is stock.

Since I have the whole camchest torn apart and have to have the stock cams pressed out and then pressed back into the new plate, I figured I'd go ahead and put in a MILD cam upgrade as well, maybe the 26H or similar. I'm not planning on doing any serious engine work, but I will probably pull the heads in a short while (when I get the scratch) and have them ported and polished with upgraded springs and rockers. Just enough for a little more punch.

I checked with my local HD dealer yesterday and he told me if I upgraded the cam at all I would have to remap and dyno my bike TO THE TUNE OF $1,000, not including the cams!! Does this sound right? I get the remap part, but can't I just do that with the Stage 1 disc that I got with the kit? Why would a dyno be necessary?

Thanks for any help.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:03 PM
RoadGlideGary
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cams & dyno

You will need some type of tuner to make the cams, stage 1 and duals function to their combined potential. No way would I let the dealer touch it especially if they want a grand just for dyno. Call Jamie at Fuel Moto. He can set you up with a tuner and custom MAP for about 1/3 of what your stealer quoted and you get support for any other MAP you will need if you do more mods. Find an Indy to do the work - about three hours labor.

I am running 26H and for two up or single riding they are perfect.

Last edited by RoadGlideGary; 12-04-2012 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Typo
Old 12-05-2012, 06:58 AM
fwb35
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Just had the SE tensioner upgrade done, everything new in the cam chest with SE 204 cams, $1,500 out the door, and the SE 204's are one of the best cams I have tried, rode lots of bikes with different cams, 204's are the best I have tried so far for a bolt in cam

Old 12-05-2012, 08:46 AM
VTL nut
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by willeb3
Hi all,

I checked with my local HD dealer yesterday and he told me if I upgraded the cam at all I would have to remap and dyno my bike TO THE TUNE OF $1,000, not including the cams!! Does this sound right? I get the remap part, but can't I just do that with the Stage 1 disc that I got with the kit? Why would a dyno be necessary?

Thanks for any help.

The $1K price tag is $459 for the SEPST (or similar ECM interface), and $350 for a dyno.

Now if down the road you have more motor work done, you will have the dongle ($459 vehicle inteface) and only need to pay for the dyno.

Old 12-05-2012, 11:23 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by John Dude
I own a 2004 Eectra Glide, 95 inch. Power Commander,EFI, 33000 miles.
I took it to a one owner one employee performance shop for a "Andrew 26G cam install". New lifters, solid pushrods, USED but like new cam plate because he said the original was defective not allowing the oil button to work properly, (what ever that means), 2 sparkplugs, Labor, one quart of Amsoil, dyno tuned......
$2200.....Did I just get the pole up the hole????
Or does this sound about right?
A senior rider I sometimes have morning coffee with just took his 2006 88" Deluxe to an indy who charged him $1800 to install a set of S&S gear drive cams and do some oil pump work, nothing else. The indy said that a dyno or a piggy back tuner of any kind is not needed. Oh well.

Old 12-06-2012, 06:04 PM
willeb3
3rd Gear
Location: On the edge of the country--there are no roads that lead west
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the feedback everyone.
I have heard about a couple of reliable indies in the SF Bay Area but I have been wrenching my own bikes since my '69 shovel and old habits die hard. I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and admit that there are just some things I am not equipped to do myself anymore.
Remember when the only electronic equipment you needed to tune was a timing gun and a dwell meter? Ain't progress great?
Thanks again!

Old 12-07-2012, 04:05 AM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by DeneFXDWG
A senior rider I sometimes have morning coffee with just took his 2006 88" Deluxe to an indy who charged him $1800 to install a set of S&S gear drive cams and do some oil pump work, nothing else. The indy said that a dyno or a piggy back tuner of any kind is not needed. Oh well.
I think the Delxue had a carb that year..................

Old 12-07-2012, 08:44 AM
Energy-Dude
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fuel injection was optional until I think 2007. If you added cams to a bike with a carburator you would not need an electronic tuner.

Old 04-22-2013, 09:52 AM
DeneFXDWG
Road Warrior
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

delete

Quick Reply: Woods 555 or Andrews 26?