Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Woods 555 or Andrews 26?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2012, 07:13 AM
Ribitt
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cool

I have an 07 Ultra with the Andrews 26 but did the gear drive. Which alot will say that was a waste due to the improved chain tensioners, oh well but the 26 is better with 2up riding than solo. thats why I went with it. call andrews and they will tell you which would be better being you ride solo more. JMHO.

Old 02-10-2012, 08:48 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

I don't have a lot of time with my Woods 555 yet but it seem the first three gears hit the rev limiter fast and the 4th and 5th gears hit more in the mid range and the 6th hasn't need to get used yet but seem it hit mid to upper range but by then I was well over 100 + MPH. Thats riding solo, no two up yet. And Ive only ran a base fuel moto map and applied the auto tune twice and the map it almost dead on now. I want to upgrade to the 107 and maybe heads later but if I didn't I think I would have liked the SE 255 better because from what I read the power comes on much earlier. Good luck with your choice!

Old 02-10-2012, 09:27 AM
frog13
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by John Dude
I own a 2004 Eectra Glide, 95 inch. Power Commander,EFI, 33000 miles.
I took it to a one owner one employee performance shop for a "Andrew 26G cam install". New lifters, solid pushrods, USED but like new cam plate because he said the original was defective not allowing the oil button to work properly, (what ever that means), 2 sparkplugs, Labor, one quart of Amsoil, dyno tuned......
$2200.....Did I just get the pole up the hole????
Or does this sound about right?
As always, if you're happy with the deal, it's a good deal, don't look back. However, I think you might want to be a better shopper.

I got a Woods 555 cam, pushrods, PowerVision, head pipe, mufflers and hi-flow air filter kit, plus a billet cover, all installed and tuned for the same amount of money.......

Old 02-10-2012, 01:09 PM
bklynbob
Grand HDF Member
Received 567 Likes on 394 Posts

The Andrews 48 mjght be just a little stronger than the 26.

Old 02-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Encosi
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I own a 2004 Eectra Glide, 95 inch. Power Commander,EFI, 33000 miles.
I took it to a one owner one employee performance shop for a "Andrew 26G cam install". New lifters, solid pushrods, USED but like new cam plate because he said the original was defective not allowing the oil button to work properly, (what ever that means), 2 sparkplugs, Labor, one quart of Amsoil, dyno tuned......
$2200.....Did I just get the pole up the hole????
Or does this sound about right?
Sounds like you got the **** end bro!

Old 02-10-2012, 04:28 PM
John Dude
Intermediate

I have asked the same question in two different threads and have gotten price ranges from $700 up. I believe I'll never ask such a question again, It doesn't matter, like someone said, if I am happy, don't look back.. I got phuct buying an over priced vibrating POS anyways, why complain about $2K? Give me an old flat head........

Old 02-10-2012, 04:31 PM
Beav
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 on the Andrews 26.

Put's the torque where ya ride. Very good cam.

Old 02-11-2012, 12:32 AM
97HeritageSpringer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have asked the same question in two different threads and have gotten price ranges from $700 up. I believe I'll never ask such a question again, It doesn't matter, like someone said, if I am happy, don't look back.. I got phuct buying an over priced vibrating POS anyways, why complain about $2K? Give me an old flat head........
I hate it for you brother, but you did ask. In the future, ask that question ahead of time, and you'll be much better off. Most of us have also learned that the hard way at one point or another in our lifetime!

Old 02-11-2012, 12:54 AM
SURFOR Chop
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts

Well ... a couple grand is a little high ... if it was over the winter, most shops discount their rates to try to get more work in ...

The cam change usually can be done in about 5 - 7 hours ... cams themselves are around 250 -300 (but, with the gears, it will add to the cost a little) ... pushrods are another 125 - 150 the cam plate add a little more (but, it is second hand after all) ...

If there was a legitimate cause to replace the cam plate and he didn't discover it until during the reassembly and OPTEST, it might have added a little time to troubleshoot and fix ... in which case a second-hand part in good operating condition might have been a low cost alternative to new ...

Not sure how much the lifters run ... I'm still on my stock lifter ... but, still that puts you around $1,250 - $1,600 ... so, unless there is something I am missing ...

edit - ahhh ... with the dyno tune you might be getting closer to the cost you paid ... not quite as much of a 'delta' (excess / difference) as originally thought ... still, the seller was not doing you any huge favor ...

Higher labor rate per hour I guess ...

WRT the original poster's question about the cam selection, I think either of those options 555 or 26 would be good ... I have heard favorable endorsements from owners of both cams ...

As another poster noted, another option that is fairly new on the market is the 48 ... supposed to be a good 'compromise' cam ...

I am really happy with my Andrews 37 ... you might consider giving that one a look, too ....

R/
'Chop

Last edited by SURFOR Chop; 02-11-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:21 AM
Devo6684
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Beav
+1 on the Andrews 26.

Put's the torque where ya ride. Very good cam.
+1. My Indy recommended the 26H for improved low to mid range torque for 2up riding. I am not disappointed! It definitely woke up my bike.
$2200 for just he cam swap is way too high- I would definitely get a second estimate.

Quick Reply: Woods 555 or Andrews 26?