Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackpot exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012 | 05:21 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended

TUCCI - what a great sound! can't wait

Old 03-22-2012 | 11:58 AM
takactionphoto
2nd Gear

Sorry if repeating someone. I called and fuel moto told me the standard baffle is about 40% between stock and straight. The performance baffle is more like 50-60%, The quiet baffle is just barely louder than stock and the quiet baffle without the insert is half way between the quite baffle and the standard baffle. pretty impressive range of options with one pipe if you ask me. getting ready to order.

Old 03-22-2012 | 12:44 PM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior

I will give my two cents as I have owned the 4.5 PT pipes AND the 4" Jackpot pipes, both sets with the FM 2-1-2 head pipe. Please remember that sound is very subjective, so different people will have different opinions on this matter, as is the case with most anything bike related.

I originally had the PT 4.5" pipes, and was very pleased with them. For me the opposite of what the others posted was true, as time went on, the pipes got louder. I didn't mind this, but after a while it got old having to play the music louder, or talk louder to communicate with the old lady on the back.

This still really didn't bother me. What "I" found with the PT pipes, is when you let off the gas from any good speed, upon deceleration the pipes have a loud and very distinct growl/rumble. This still didn't bug me too much, until the cops pulled me over one day. After that it just got plain old, and I did not want to deal with the hassle of LEO attention because of my pipes. Again, it was upon decel that the noise was getting louder and obnoxious "to me". Also, on many long trips the pipes were getting louder on the highway, I usually cruise at speeds that most don't consider cruising, thus the rpm's are higher, thus the bike is louder to begin with, even more so with these pipes.

Again, I am not knocking the pipes, they're great and there is not another set of mufflers out there that sounds like them, but with my riding style, and an increased effort on local LEO to screw with bikers with loud pipes, it was time for a change.

So I emailed Jamie, and asked how much quieter the 4" Jackpots might be, and to my complete surprise, Jamie mails me a lightly used set of 4" slip-ons, in exchange for my used 4.5 PT pipes!!! I couldn't believe it. And he paid shipping to me, and sent a pre paid label paying shipping back to him. You just can't beat this type of service. There was no defect with the merchandise, I simply had a change of heart as the pipes got more miles on them because a change in sound.

So I got the 4" pipes on and the bike sounded fantastic, and for whatever reason, IMHO, my butt Dyno was much happier with the 4" Dyno tuned mufflers than with the 4.5 PT pipes, the bike just felt stronger all around and got up to speed much quicker than before, even my wife who knows nothing about bikes could tell the difference. All the while the 4" pipes were quieter and had the exact sound I was looking for. I think basically because the 4" pipes don't have that distinct sound upon decel that some may or may not like. Now I'm no grandpa either, I like a nice sounding bike, but this was my findings with both setups.

Towards the end of last year, I sold my head pipe and 4" mufflers, thinking of going to a 2-1, and I have yet to replace my system. I am really torn on whether I am going to spring for Jamie's new 2-1 pipe, or go back to my old setup, because Jamie told me with the quieter baffle the 2-1 will sound just like my old PT pipes, and I am not sure if I want to go down that road again. To me the sound of the 4" Jackpots and the FM head pipe was perfect, and I will be adding cams in this re-do on my bike, and that in itself makes a bike sound louder too. If they had a 2-1 that would sound exactly like the 4" pipe I would have been all over it. I also have a hard-on for a set of True Duals, but that's another conversation in itself, lol.

We will see what happens. But Jamie will be getting my business, because the CS from FM is top notch, and they have always answered all of my questions no matter how many I have asked.

Just my $0.02

Last edited by Fire-Medic; 03-22-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 03-22-2012 | 01:54 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

In some DB tests FM did a year or more ago, the Pro Touring mufflers emitted almost as much noise (-0.1db) as the 3½" Jackpots with competition baffle. The 4" mufflers weren't available at that time so they aren't included in the testing. That in addition to my lousy ears was the reasoning behind buying the 4" instead, and even with the 255 cams, which increase exhaust noise noticeably compared to stock cams, I find the standard baffles acceptable. I had the 3½" Jackpots and Quiet Baffle installed before these and find the noise perhaps a bit louder but oddly no more irritating. What's more, the quality of the sound is excellent, IMO, so I'm inclined to hold onto the status quo for now. I can say that based on videos I've seen and the FM DB tests, the Pro Touring would be much too loud for my taste. Too bad, as like most I really like the look.

Old 10-27-2012 | 01:43 PM
U-234
Road Warrior

The Jackpot 4" are sounding like the best buy for me.

Old 10-28-2012 | 12:48 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by U-234
The Jackpot 4" are sounding like the best buy for me.
I'm east of Tulsa just a few and will probably have a nearly new set for sale soon...if your interested, pm me.

Old 10-28-2012 | 06:20 AM
lhgdale
Outstanding HDF Member

I had the 4.5 Pro Touring with the 2-1-2 headpipe. Man, when you rolled on the throttle those pipes transformed, sounded great.

I am looking very seriously at the 2-1 setup fuel moto has now but their is not much feedback on it. The dyno sheets on FM website look stronge.

Why don't you get the 2-1 pipe and let me know?

Old 10-28-2012 | 10:21 AM
Climb14er
Tourer

I've got the Power Vision, ceramic coated head pipes and 4.5 Pro Touring mufflers.

Around town and up to one hundred miles, I wear no ear plugs as I don't need 'em. My ears are still in good shape in spite of all the rock and roll I've listened to.

On longer trips, I wear ear plugs to reduce not only the wind noise but also the sound of the motor... to also help reduce fatigue.

The 4.5 PT's have a very distinct low bass note to them and they growl when you get on 'em and when you really hit the throttle... they bark, but not in a loud, high pitched annoying manner.

There is a decel growl you get with the 4.5's, kind of makes you feel like you're shifting on old Hurst 4-speed coupled with a 383 Mopar motor.

One negative I see with the 4.5's is that they're larger diameter sometimes prevents me from backing into the curb and letting the bike 'rest' against the curb. The 4.5's some times scrape the top of the curb depending on how high the curb is. I doubt if the 4 inch scrape the curb.

Bottom line, if you want a good-solid bass note, great sound and really pleasing cruising decibel level w/o all the high/top drone of other pipes, I'd recommend the 4.5's.

As usual, YMMV.

Old 10-28-2012 | 04:08 PM
o-townFLA
Cruiser

Fully gutted head pipe along with the FM 4" Jackpots...

Sound isn't obnoxious but you can tell the bike has some soul with it's low bass rumble, and with a twist of the throttle the exhaust barks hard...

Old 10-28-2012 | 05:41 PM
Sath
Tourer

Originally Posted by TUCCI
how do those endcaps attach to your slipons.... I dont see a screw on the website picture?

I have owned two sets of jack pots. First set was on my SG they had a allen head set screw that was applied from the inside out. You had to be carefull setting them because the screw will cause a outding on the muffler and will loosen over time. When I orded my second set FM asked if I wanted them pre installed ( at no extra charge other than for the caps ) I agreed and they came with a set screw on the outside, its visible but I dont have to worry about them getting loose.

Sath

Quick Reply: Jackpot exhaust question