Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jackpot exhaust question

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2012 | 02:03 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended

Originally Posted by SharkBite
I haven't heard the 4 inch pipes but I can tell you I have the 4.5 and have posted about them a few times. First of all, I'm not disappointed with fuel moto but INITIALLY I wasn't happy with the 4.5 pipes.

I LOVE the look, no doubt. My concern at first was these things seemed so loud. I have a new set of scala headsets that I wanted to use but couldn't with these pipes. Just too loud to be able to communicate on them because all the other person would hear was the noise of the pipes. As time has gone on I've either became used to the pipes, lost enough hearing that they don't sound as loud (ha ha) or they have quietened down a bit. Not sure which it is but I don't mind the sound now. In their defense, fuel moto did offer to change them out (never asked if that was free of cost or not because again, I really like the look of the pipes).

I went from the single pipe to the 2-1-2 setup. I noticed absolutely no difference in performance after adding the new system including tuner and air cleaner. At about $1,500 I was hoping it would wake it up a bit but it didn't. I'm not expecting a crotch rocket out of a harley touring bike so that really didn't matter to me, it's just simply an observation that I didn't notice a difference.

Here is what I think may be important to you. I did not realize that the 4.5 pipes do not have any sort of different baffle available. I wrote to fuel moto to try and obtain a different baffle that might quiet the pipes down a bit. No such luck. If you go with the 4 inch pipes they do have that option. In hindsight, that's probably what I would have done if I still purchased from fuel moto. If you're looking for a pipe that isn't LOUD I'm not sure that the 4.5 would be a good choice. I listened to the sound clips....it's not the same as sitting on top of them.
Thank you for this info - very valuable. I spoke with Jamie and I have the same concerns you did. While the 4.5 has apparently a slightly deeper tone, it is a bit louder and cannot have baffles changed. So I am likely going to go with the 4" that allows for quieter baffles if I find it too loud. While I like "deep" tone, I want the flexibility on volume as well.

Really helpful info - thanks again.

Old 02-09-2012 | 02:17 PM
Ben E
Road Captain

either choice is great...I think the 4.5s have a great purr, growl and then bark. Jamie has a decibel comparison posted in here somewhere.

Old 02-09-2012 | 02:46 PM
SharkBite
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Ben E
either choice is great...I think the 4.5s have a great purr, growl and then bark. Jamie has a decibel comparison posted in here somewhere.
I think they have the decibel comparison post on their website

Old 02-09-2012 | 03:15 PM
funkydrummer
Intermediate

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with them as I am running their 4" version that they currently dont make an insert for. That being said, a dab of blue lock-tite should be more than adequate to keep them where they belong

Old 02-09-2012 | 03:35 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by warren888
I spoke with Jamie and I have the same concerns you did. While the 4.5 has apparently a slightly deeper tone, it is a bit louder and cannot have baffles changed. So I am likely going to go with the 4" that allows for quieter baffles if I find it too loud. While I like "deep" tone, I want the flexibility on volume as well.
My impression of the 4½" PT's are that they are louder than the non-tapered Jackpots, although I've never heard them except in videos. Cosmetically I like these more than the others, but I have issues with noise. First, my ears are sensitive to noises that wouldn't bother most people and the 255 cams I have installed make the exhaust louder than with stock cams. I ran the 3½" Jackpots for two years and they look as good as new with no discoloration, so I'm very pleased with the quality. They had the "Quiet Baffle" (right side only) in them to quell some of the noise, which put the noise level to a tolerable level even though I would've liked a bit quieter. I must point out that I had no noise issues when the stock cams were installed, and at that time I had 3½" Jackpots with the standard baffle.

I just replaced the 3½" with a set of 4" Jackpots and like the larger muffler better. The noise seems to be about the same with the standard baffle as the smaller muffler was with the QB, so I'm probably going to stay with this setup for now. If I feel the need I can always install a QB for this muffler later on. I did notice a slight performance bump in the transition, and this is because of the straight-through baffle, not the muffler itself. The QB is not a straight-through design and imposes a slight hit (~2HP/2TQ) on performance. I would recommend trying the standard baffle, as you have a step louder and quieter in baffle options should you want a different sound. Actually, you have two steps quieter as options, as the QB kit has a "Silent Insert" included that makes it almost as quiet as stock. I tried the SB, which is a quick bolt-in, but found them too quiet and the performance hit was not something I could've lived with.

I think you'll like the Power Package from FM (PV, Jackpots, and AC). I've been a customer for five years and have never had the slightest issue with them for quality and service.

Last edited by iclick; 02-09-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 02-09-2012 | 04:00 PM
funkydrummer
Intermediate

Yes. What the brutha up there said. +1

Old 02-09-2012 | 04:48 PM
TNCarters
Road Master

Here is the post where FM shows sound levels of its different options down about post #17 are dB readings.
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/touri...fuel-moto.html

They show the 4.5" Pro touring to be louder than Dyno Tuned but about like Rinehart.

Last edited by TNCarters; 02-09-2012 at 04:52 PM.
Old 02-11-2012 | 01:10 PM
warren888
|
Account Suspended

TNCarters - thanks - that is great info.

I pulled the trigger yesterday and ordered :-)

I am really impressed with Fuel Moto so far. Hopefully I'll love the setup. Nobody local has these pipes (that I know of) so I wasn't able to listen to them in advance.

If Jamie's service lives up to his reputation (which so far it has) - I'll be a huge advocate of Fuel Moto.

Old 02-11-2012 | 01:43 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member

Here's mine...Luv'em...They look similar in appearance to the 1971 AMF/HD SuperGlide stock muffler. That muffler also had black end caps.

I've had Screamin Eagle slip-ons and I've had Rineharts on both stock pipes and true duals. The Fuel Moto 2-1-2 header combined with the Pro-Touring muff is a combo hard to beat for looks, sound, and performance. I think you will be pleased.

I also have sound measurements that I made myself if you are interested...pm me. The measurements were made on the stock configuration then on the Stage I configuration with the Pro Touring muffs. Measurements were made at idle and at 2000 rpm conforming to the SAE J2825 method.

Old 02-11-2012 | 05:12 PM
TUCCI
Extreme HDF Member

Just in case anyone's interested this is an open space 3.5" Jackpot muffler on a stock 2011 Road King without the Catalyst. It is important to mention they are actually a little louder than the video shows, but not by much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0F6K...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply: Jackpot exhaust question