Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Traffic Signal Trigger

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2006, 09:57 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Traffic Signal Trigger

Is anyone useing a magnetic device to trigger a traffic signal on there bike with the H/D Hands Free FOB security system.( new for 07 models)

I want to try such a device but am concerned that the electromagnetic force may interfer with the security system, causeing the bike not to start or arm itself.

Thanks
Tom

Old 12-15-2006, 10:00 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior
Default RE: Traffic Signal Trigger

a device to make a traffic light turn green??? What does it do?

Old 12-15-2006, 10:17 PM
thomasf59
Outstanding HDF Member

When I pull up to a left turn intersection where you get the green arrow to turn, the bike while sitting at the intersection is not recognized, by the traffic signal and there fore won't change until a car comes along behind me to trip the signal.

see this link http://www.signalsorcerer.com/g4_sorcerer.html

Tom

Old 12-15-2006, 10:24 PM
JeffSG
Road Warrior

Gotcha...I like it. Wouldn't have an excuse to run the red light with that...

Ride safe,

Old 12-16-2006, 03:19 PM
OzarkHarleyguy
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I've had one on some previous bikes and it helps. Doesn't always work but usually. Since getting the RoadKing I don't need it. But I've heard if you pull onto the upper left hand corner of the magnet pad on the road that also helps.

Old 12-16-2006, 03:24 PM
bunco
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You need the proper equipment in the road at the intersection for the changer to work or it's useless to you

Old 12-16-2006, 06:00 PM
recross
Tourer

another way is to just put your kick-stand down on the coil line marks that are laid into the road surface.....no devices needed.....
works almost always...............

Old 05-04-2007, 07:03 PM
swestbrook60
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

There were two traffic lights near my house I never triggered. I called the city and asked if they could be adjusted and got a pleasant surprise today. A traffic engineer from Sugar Land, TX (a suburb of Houston) called and asked if I could meet him at these intersections on my bike so they could adjust the sensitivity of the lights.

Both of these were left turn signals, so they closed that lane and had me drive my bike onto each pad as they checked to see if the traffic light "saw" me there. They then adjusted the sensitivity so it would see me for each pad. A pad is the rectangular area bounded by the cuts in the pavement.

Since I had read many of the posts here on ways to trigger lights like this, I asked the engineer about some of the suggestions. Acording to him, a magnet will have no effect on whether or not a light sees you. In the event that your bike just barely is not recognized, a magnet may push you over that line. He said he would have to see it to beleive it though. As to where to stop at a light, first it depends on what type of light system is in place. Some will require that you are sitting within the boundries of one of these pads, passing over one will tell the light you were there but aren't anymore. He also said the only place to stop on a pad that could improve your chances of being seen would be to stop at an angle with each tire on a different edge of the pad.

He also suggested that if you call about a light not triggering that you make sure they understand you ride a bike. Otherwise they will just come out and monitor the triggering mechanism, most likely on whatever cars happen to drive by. Here in Sugar Land they are slowly switching over to cameras to monitor intersections and doing away with the magnetic field method altogether.

Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 PM
mp
Stellar HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Did he say anything about the jiffy stand trick? It works for me every time at a light near me that would never give me a turn signal.

Old 05-04-2007, 08:27 PM
SpikeCT
Road Captain

thank you swest.... now there are a few more lights i can get through.

Quick Reply: Traffic Signal Trigger