Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cleaning bolt holes

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 06:56 AM
shortride
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by iclick
I've never used a tap set, although that's probably the best idea. Instead, I spray some solvent (naphtha) in the hole and loosen the crud with a q-tip, blowing out the excess solvent with compressed air.
That's what I would recommend. Just use solvent and an appropriate size bolt to clean out the threaded hole.

Old 02-11-2012, 08:10 AM
mike5380
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Lakerat
Do NOT use taps if you can keep from it. There are reasonably priced thread chaser sets out there that won't remove metal, only the gunk. They will also reshape damaged threads to a certain extent.
+1 on thie reply from Lakerat. Taps can cut small shavings from the threads that will make the fit between the bolt and the threaded hole more loose. Buy or make yourself a thread chaser.

Mike

Old 02-11-2012, 08:46 AM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by mike5380
Taps can cut small shavings from the threads that will make the fit between the bolt and the threaded hole more loose.
You are correct, but you would be suprised how much slop can be in a thread and it is still acceptable.

Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 PM
Lakerat
Road Warrior
Received 86 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 1flhtk4me
You are correct, but you would be suprised how much slop can be in a thread and it is still acceptable.
I actually learned my lesson from continually tearing down the engine in my drag boat and freshining everything up. I always used bottom taps with an assortment of sizes I needed mounted in T-handles. After a few times of doing this, I found myself having to start heli-coiling the threads in the block because they were pulling out when torqueing the head bolts. Finally discovered the thread chasers, and they really aren't form-taps, that's a whole different animal. Some of the crud, like gasket sealers, will get very hard due to heat and when a tap hits it, it will go the path of least resistence and cut, especially on aluminum. If your luck isn't with you, the tap can also get cocked in the hole and break or chip a flute, then the real fun begins. Thread chasers aren't as brittle as a HSS tap, so unless you are just being totally ham-handed, they won't break.